David Soul is better known as one half of the TV series Starsky and Hutch, but he was a folk singer back in the sixties. He sometimes performed his songs as the opening act for such groups as the Byrds and the Doors but switched to an acting career and abandoned his singing for a while.
Eventually, he managed to find a record label that gave him the opportunity to record the kind of music that he wanted. Although it might generally be classed as easy listening pop, evidence of David's roots is still there, particularly via covers of Bird on a wire (Leonard Cohen) and Tattler (Ry Cooder).
David's hits were mostly written by Tony Macauley, a British producer-songwriter who scored notable successes in the late sixties and early seventies via big international hits for the Foundations (Baby now that I've found you, Build me up buttercup), Edison lighthouse (Love grows where my Rosemary goes), Long John Baldry (Let the heartaches begin) and others.
Don't give up on us reached the very top of the charts in both Britain and America early in 1977. It was his only significant American hit, but he had four more hits in Britain. Going in with my eyes open reached number two. Silver lady became David's second number one. Let's have a quiet night in was a top ten hit. David's final UK hit, It sure brings out the love in your eyes, peaked at twelve. All those songs are (of course) included on this compilation. As the titles of the songs might suggest, David was primarily a balladeer, but Silver lady was more up-tempo than the others.
If you enjoy the music of Bread, you will surely enjoy David Soul's music.
on 6 August 2001
This is an excellent CD with something for everyone. It has more variety of music styles than any other CD I've ever bought. David Soul was an under-rated singer who often got a lot of criticism - totally undeserved. This is real value for money.
on 18 June 2002
~Yes, great! It's the only way to describe this album. As a long-time fan of Davids since the days of Starsky and Hutch, you could be forgiven for thinking that the two Silver Lady and Don't give up on us baby, were flash-in-the-pan ballads, atypical of TV celebrities today. Not so with this album. There are many songs here which will surprise and as well as the two songs mentioned earlier, this album will be worth whatever you pay for it. It is gentle and just great!
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 27 January 2005
When I bought this album recently, everybody in the office laughed at me, but they didn't really know what they were laughing for. David Soul is no novelty act. Okay, so he didn't write the songs, and that is a bit of a weakness, but he chose them well enough, and sang them well enough.
'Don't Give Up On Us' was the biggest selling single of 1977 don't forget, and it wasn't just because of Starsky and Hutch - it was because it's a good song, even though it now seems unfashionable. Actually, on this best of, I'm more impressed by some of the album tracks than I am by the singles.
Get this. Play it for your friends and I reckon they'll be surprised by how good it is. If you like the seventies sound, you'll probably like this album, and it has a nice multi-page booklet all about David.
on 16 May 2001
It is so hard to get David Soul music it seems. This CD is just the greatest. It has such a terrific selection of his songs. Two I would like to see on a CD would be "Black Bean Soup", and "Sometimes When We Touch". This CD still has some great songs like "Dont give up on us" and "Silver Lady". If you love David Soul, you will certainly love this CD.
on 11 March 2008
With exception to track 5 which has a definate 1970's 'of its time' sound to it, the rest of the tracks are magic. These songs were extremely well recorded and sound as fresh as if they were recorded last week. I bought this for the obvious hits such as 'Silver Lady' and 'Don't Give Up On Us' but was pleasantly surprised by the great quality of the other tracks. I can't believe though that people are flogging it for over £180.00 here on Amazon. Outrageous!I got for a fiver just a couple of years back here on Amazon.
Comes highly recommended though.
on 9 October 2013
I have just bought off an excellent Marketplace seller, Zoverstocks and listened to this Best Of of David Soul after losing my original copy somehow when i moved. I bought another Best Of instead but although that has all the tracks on this and many more i much prefer this Best Of. Not a bad song on this one unlike the double best of i already have.

I really like David Souls voice and have been a fan for many years. I rate this CD 10 out of 10.
on 11 December 2012
David Soul is a better singer than you might think. Most actors can't sing but this is worth a listen.
I used to love watching the television series Starsky and Hutch. :-)

My favourite was always Hutch, (David Soul) , but back in the 1970’s I was too young to buy music, so the way I got around that was for my parents to buy the piano music for the two singles he had in the UK charts. :-)

I thought he’d a lovely voice but I wasn’t always keen on the music he released due to my age.

So I waited till 1994 when he released this album as I’d heard a friend play it and loved the whole CD. The next thing I did was go out and buy it. :-)

Although I love listening to the entire CD if you asked me I had a fav I’d have to say Yes, they are: - “Silver Lady” and “Going in with my eyes open”.

I’m really pleased with this CD and I love listening to it. :-)
on 17 October 2014
I am an unashamed David Soul fan. I am delighted to finally get around to replacing my cassette tape of 'Playing to an Audience of One' with a C.D (will still keep the tape it has memories). There are so many fantastic songs on there I'm surprised more didn't get in the charts. However I've also bought another David Soul CD as he has recorded more songs for me to enjoy. I hope another new C.D is coming out soon Dave.x