5.0 out of 5 stars A sad document of a crazed soul, 14 Aug 2009
B. Pollard - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Blobby Album (Audio CD)
I had heard talk of this legendary album - in hushed tones, and in dark corners of clubs where seemingly innocent terms often have a double meaning. I could scarcely believe my eyes as I happened upon this rarely visited cranny of Amazon.co.uk - would I finally be able to lay my hands on a genuine copy of 'Mr Blobby Album' by Mr Blobby? Were the myths really true? Given its dangerous reputation I'm sure you'll understand why I approached with some trepidation - but emboldened by the positive words of other reviewers I crossed myself and clicked the order button.

During his short career, Mr Blobby had to contend with some unkind words from those who were unable (or unwilling) to understand him. Terms like 'fat pink spotted retard' and 'person somehow able to tolerate Noel Edmonds' were bandied about. But however bats**t unhinged he seemed at times, that abuse must have cut deep, because its repercussions are queasily audible in every moment of this terrifying music.

Perhaps it is what inspired 'Mr Blobby', in many ways the harrowing centrepiece of this vision. The lyrics detail grandiosity ('Mr Blobby, your influence will spread throughout the land'), hope ('his philosophy of life will see him through'), and denial ('as far as he can see he's the same as me and you'). At times it degenerates into a gurgling repetition of his name, as if he needs convincing that the nightmare of his existence is really true.

The music is harder to describe. Yes, there are 'face shredding riffs'. Yes, there are trip-hop, R&B and industrial influences at work. But it's the sheer insanity of artistic decisions like forcing the listener to contemplate his morphological irregularity by replacing the bass in the mix with the sound of his own squelching flatulence (one of the problems brought about by his bizarre condition that I gather he found the most difficulty with); by juxtaposing his own tormented howl with the innocence of a children's choir; and these ideas come madeningly thick and fast, which is certainly part of what makes it so unsettling. Some accused him of outrageous bravado but I see this as very much a cri-de-coeur, a plea for understanding from his tormenters.

As for Edmonds himself, I don't think we'll ever know the truth of his involvement. Certainly one is aware in this album of the grandiose sentiment evident in the infamous Chegwin-abetted 'Noel's HQ' rallies. But for me, there is here such a depth of twisted, unreal beauty, horror and madness that equating it with a brief moment of over-the-top bluster is like comparing (as Blobby himself does, alluded to by A. Customer in another review) a natural wariness of the feminine with a literal 'Blob Lake'.

Knowing him to be of stout constitution, and giving him ample warning of the extreme nature of some of the content I played it to my friend and neighbour, Mr Worthington. When the CD stopped, he stared through me, uttering the words "I pray for the existence of oblivion for the sake of that poor man's soul" and hasn't opened his mouth since. If he doesn't stop crying soon, I think I going to have to call someone. And I'm going to have some explaining to do if Mrs Worthington returns from her girl's trip to Jamaica to find him this way!

I suppose I must conclude that this is at once a sad document of a crazed and broken soul at the moment of collapse, and yet so much more than that. Listen at your own risk. I must weep now for I have seen God's nature.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the heaviest records of all time, 14 Jun 2007
Splen fan "gunofacar" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Mr Blobby Album (Audio CD)
Uncompromisingly brutal, this Noel Edmonds masterminded project takes the grindcore genre to new extremes. Straight off the bat you know you're in for something truly special as "Old MacBlobby Had a Farm" threatens to obliterate the speakers with its visceral maelstrom of riffs and machine-gun drum patterns. "Ten Pink Blobbies" combines face shredding riffs with the sort of double-bass drumming that make your insides feel like they're about to prolapse. Industrial elements are introduced for the epic "Clockwork", in which Blobby uses his guttural vocal delivery to its full potential to explore themes of ultraviolence. The album closer "lullaby" is an amusingly ironically titled spazz-out in which Blobby bemoans the lack of time spent with Edmonds following the recent success of "Deal or no Deal". If I was the banker I'd be cacking myself. Overall, this is an absolutely unmissable album, and destined to be an extreme classic for decades to come.

5.0 out of 5 stars It made my day, 24 Mar 2003
John (Guatemala City, Guatemala) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mr Blobby Album (Audio CD)
picture the scene a young lad wandering down the rocky roads of a town somewhere possibly near you. his day as ever takes the dull pattern and yet for some reason inside he feels very different. today he is about to become a MAN. today, he is about to purchase the life changing Mr Blobby album - it's sheerly breathtaking just pondering it now brings butterflies to my stomach and dribble to my chin. Hats off to the producer - top notch stuff from messers Edmonds (possibly) and Blobby - hopefully the saga will continue - remember Legends like them never die

5.0 out of 5 stars More culturally significant than the death of Kurt Cobain., 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Mr Blobby Album (Audio CD)
Much has been written about the uncompromising brutality of this album. Riffs, bass, and guttural screams are all abundant; enough to melt the face of any unwitting listener. But what the music does not give away, overtly at least, is the revolutionary elements this album brought to the early 90s.

1992 saw the release of the well respected debut album by Rage Against the Machine. Social commentary and politicized lyrics were included with the sort of unrestricted flow commonly associated with a terrible bout of diarrhea. The cover cemented this approach - politics is topic of the day.

But 1994 came along, and with it the Mr. Blobby album.

The genius of the Mr. Blobby album is not so much the brutal musicianship, but the meta-commentary and predictive power of the album. Taking the social commentary of RATM on board, Mr. Blobby takes political music to its next logical stage. By disguising the hefty lyrical content behind a wall of crunching riffs and vocals so brutal that, without deep inspection, they sound identical from one line to the next, Mr. Blobby heralded the information saturation of the Internet Age. The wall of sound created by Blobby & Edmonds mimics the effect modern social media has had on our culture. The album is not only an affront to the senses but a call to arms, baying for its listeners to draw a more critical eye over their own cosmopolitan lives.

The method of subversion and meta-commentary is continued gracefully on the cover. Nothing of the inner seriousness of the record is revealed. The audience is given the red herring and forced to ask, "Just what am I getting myself in to here?"

Not only brutal beyond comparison, but pushing the limits of cultural theory, this album must surely rank amongst the greatest Western culture has ever spawned.

5.0 out of 5 stars My god, it's full of stars!, 4 Aug 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Mr Blobby Album (Audio CD)
In this, Edmonds' third album, Edmonds allows the youth of today to sample the bangin' tunes of yesteryear with an ephemereal, nostalgic, and some might say childish melody. Great classics from the last millennium such as 'Blob lake' (containing adult themes) and 'Earthworm song' assault the ears of any innocent bystanders at two hundred decibles and resonate with youthful zeal only found in Blobby's warbling tone.
A fantastic mix of trip-hop, R&B and industrial seamlessly merged together into one long, soothing string of musical pearls by Mr. Blobby's lack of working opposable digits. Edmonds should be proud of such a great accomplishment, other duos such as Philip Schofield and Edd the Duck never generated such resonant sounds deep within my bowels.

5.0 out of 5 stars good Mr Blobby sound will be is great, 10 Aug 2014
This review is from: Mr Blobby Album (Audio CD)
When the is Blobby tv for on the 1990s. Make a sure good and enjoyable noise funny, so in album get all of my favourite song tunes. Every listening on cd make yes and exciting contain. Mixing and engineer for the album great know is but well, all sound very even with guitar, keyboards and drums. Mr Blobby is in future when persons admire and thank - the music give joy and funny to childs and man for the same. 1990s years is best for music - Jeff Buckley, Supergrass, Dodgy, Pulp, Ben Folds Five, Oasis, Jellyfish, Kula Shaker, Nirvana, Blur, Mr Blobby. To find original 180g gatefold vinyl signed are very difficult, yes one on black market but very lots expensive.

Mr Blobby Album
Mr Blobby Album by Mr Blobby (Audio CD - 1994)