4.0 out of 5 stars Ask Me Tommorrow - a review, 24 April 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Ask Me Tomorrow (Audio CD)
Mojave 3 feature most of the members of ex Creation records band Slowdive, whom I used to love. It's a big change in direction from Slowdive. Whereas emotions were previously hidden behind feedback you now get wide open spaces and simplicity. The music is very quiet and dreamy. It's simple minimal arrangements of acoustic guitars, cello and piano, with Rachel Goswell's lovely distant voice. It's quiet and peaceful Alt-County and it reminds me of early Mazzy Star.
Ask Me Tomorrow is so unforgiving bleak it's sometimes hard to listen to. The only time I listen to this album is on my own at 4am when I should have gone to bed hours ago. It's nearly impossible to listen to this when the sun is in the sky. This album has found a niche as a lovely album to dream to and ponder on things. Some of the songs are a bit forgettable but others are really beautiful, especially Love Songs on the Radio and Tomorrow's Taken. This album is well worth owning to have on hand for those confusing moments late at night where you're unsure about the world.

5.0 out of 5 stars Treasure, 6 Jan 2010
This review is from: Ask Me Tomorrow (Audio CD)
This album is simply a beautiful thing, it's intimate and graceful, harmonius and sleepy. In ways it is a moving on from Slowdive, a defined shift in direction, and yet it is also a continuation, as ghosts linger everywhere. The delicate balance on this album between the past and future paths resulted, perhaps unintentionally, in a very special album indeed. While Slowdive dwelled in hazy soundscapes, some of the blurred edges of old are now in focus and a stronger song-writing is revealed. Mojave 3 draw considerable influence from Americana, yet never really lose their Englishness, and the result is a charming album. I can see why comparison is drawn to Mazzy Star, but feel the resemblance is only superficial, I also hear a touch of Leonard Cohen in some of the vocal delivery by both singers, and perhaps in the songwriting too.

My favourite tracks are Love Songs On The Radio, Tomorrow's Taken and You're Beautiful. Rachael Goswell has a lovely voice and here we are treated to some particularly graceful performances.

On the strength of Ask Me Tomorrow, I went downtown on release day for the follow-up, Out Of Tune. I'd have been delighted with more like this, but the new album took them away from the exquisite balance I find so intrisic to the strength of this album, and I was somewhat disappointed (in fact I haven't bought anything by Mojave 3 since, but that could well change). Where critics saw better songwriting by Neil Halstead, and a more confident performance, I saw the elements I liked the most drifting away.

This one though, is a treasure.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!, 20 Feb 2014
This review is from: Ask Me Tomorrow (Audio CD)
I loved Slowdive and I had this years ago...I lost it and now I have it again. God bless the internet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful like the stars at night!, 16 Mar 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Ask Me Tomorrow (Audio CD)
There are three absolutely amazing reasons to own this album, and they are:-
"You're Beautiful" "Lovesongs On The Radio" and "Pictures".
If you can't listen to those songs and see the magic and fragility of love, then you are totally without soul.
One of the best reasons for owning a stereo?
Ask me tomorrow!

Ask Me Tomorrow
Ask Me Tomorrow by Mojave 3 (Audio CD - 2001)