With a bit of Fatima Mansions and Sean Hughes basically dicking about in a recording studio, this is an album without comparison. That may be a good or bad thing, depending on your viewpoint.
The CD is listed as one track, so you can't skip the odd terrible track. But everyone needs to hear this, just to see how album-making can't be done.
on 28 March 2012
As the title suggests, this is an album of golden songs (but not, as the title suggests, 20 songs but amazingly, and thanks to Cod, Scabrous, Paul, Sean, Andrzej et al for this, this collection contains 23 tracks) that shower down upon the listener. From the beautiful teenage romantic awakening of "Summer (The Fist Time)" which segues into the perfect brooding love song of "I Think You're Cool" and then all the way through to the jaw dropping "Closedown" finale, this is a beautiful album of classic covers and reverential pastiche.

Highlights for me are the jaunty tribute to Ice T in the shape of "Cop Lover", the glorious "Elvis 93" (I'm sure you don't need a hint as to whom this perfectly aimed tribute is dedicated to - hint - not Costello ;-) ) and the magnificent "Ang On Ronno" which, I am sure, any self respecting David Bowie aficionado would have trouble telling the difference between this and any work by the master of glam rock himself.

This is a truly superb album which I am sure would not be out of place playing on your music player during family shindigs, visits by priests and as a precursor to the Queens Speech each and every Christmas day...

God bless DLT for inspiring this work of genius.
on 3 July 2004
When your job's your hobby, you can't go wrong. To get paid for what you love...isn't that everyone's dream?
As I listen to the tracks on this CD pass, I think of a cool, golden drink, straight from the fridge; "Hey Niall, Derek, Ed - make mine a double!"
Press play on the stereo, I'm off to 'top-up' my glass...