‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The first album I ever bought and still a classic, 24 Oct 2003
Matt Sephton (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seal (Audio CD)
Before buying SEAL at the age of 15, I'd never been interested in music that much. Sure, I'd listen to the radio but never feel the need to do anything else. Then, one Saturday morning I was sitting watching The Ghost Train (kids programme like SMTV, Going Live etc.) and I was hit full in the face by what I could even tell back then was raw talent. Seal was on TV performing an acoustic version of one of his hits from his new album. I can even remember him being interviewed about what impact his recent trip to Africa had on him - Show Me was inspired by it he said. I've never looked back - this is where my love of music started. Today this album still holds up as a masterpiece, with thought provoking lyrics (that he is still yet to match, he tries to hard these days) and a sound that captured the moment. Featuring the talents of Guy Sigsworth and the masterful production of Trevor Horn this CD will be held in high regard forever. If you've never heard this album you've got a fantastic time ahead.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a MUST HAVE album! Seriously!, 26 July 2003
This review is from: Seal (Audio CD)
Have you ever bought an album? which, no matter how many times you hear it, you still get that feeling that you are listening to a masterpiece?
I bought this album when it first came out in 1990 & was I so impressed with what I heard, apart from the "kiler" track(which was a tacky, but good atempt to get himself recognised).
All you young whipersnappers should by this album, if only to listen to "DEEP WATER", this track alone just for the build up into the BASS kick is an absolute classic.
The whole album is sublime " Honestly".
And to round it all of, "Violet". A track so far ahead of its time it's synonomous with "Helter Skelter" by The Beatles.
Need I say more.

5.0 out of 5 stars There is one album..., 29 Nov 2002
This review is from: Seal (Audio CD)
that I always ensure is in my collection, and this is it.Having been lost 3 times over the last 8 years since I first listened to it fully, it is the first album that gets replaced. From the initial energetic pop-like track through to the final reminiscently sung piece, you can sit back, close your eyes and immerse yourself in the lyrics.
It has more spontaneity than the later albums (which are also exceptional) and for me remains one of the all time greatest albums. His later work, especially 'Human Being', do have more depth to the words. You can feel the work put in to produce these masterpieces. But for me, the first album will always reign - simply because it changed the way I listened to music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pure Musical Perfection: rock, soul, pop and new-age in one, 25 Jan 2003
This review is from: Seal (Audio CD)
For me, Seal's 1991 debut album is one of the best ever made; the sheer diversity of the music, the quality of the lyrics and the depth of Seal's voice makes for a perfect musical statements. For music lovers everywhere, there is a little bit of everything in this album; from dance ("The Beginning", "Killer", "Future Love Paradise"), through soul/rock ("Wild", "Whirlpool") to new-age ("Deep Water", "Crazy", "Show Me" and "Violet"). Whilst the absence of lyrics is somewhat dissapointing, the beautiful pictures more than compensate for this, and give the album a somewhat mysterious and mystical quality. The highpoints of this album, for me, are "Deep Water", a tale of ecological awareness which shifts between 2 different musical styles, "Crazy" which is one of THE 1990's best dance records and "Violet", a prototype of the soul-inspired ambient sound. Seal strikes me as a visionary, a mystic, and most importantly, a prominent musical figure. I would highly recommend this album to any serious record collector- you will NOT be dissapointed!

4.0 out of 5 stars Signed, Sealed, Delivered, 20 Dec 2001
Pieter Uys "Toypom" (Johannesburg) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Seal (Audio CD)
With his impressive physique inherited from his Brazilian and Nigerian ancestry and a voice so smooth it conjures up the memory of Marvin Gaye, Curtis Mayfield and Smokey Robinson, Seal was destined to be a huge star. This wonderful album includes his Adamskiless version of Killer, along with his UK number one Crazy and further delights like the club movers The Beginning and Future Love Paradise. Produced by Trevor Horne of Frankie Goes To Hollywood fame, the album's slick arrangements lend full justice to his sensual voice and sophisticated hook-filled songs of yearning. A very impressive debut.

5.0 out of 5 stars Soulful and seductive, 16 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Seal (Audio CD)
This is a real jewel if you're looking for sound that is capable of soothsaying and seduction at the same time. Seal is a real superstar in mixing folk, jazz, R&B with acoustic guitar. Together with producer Trevor Horn (Rod Stewart, Art of Noise, Yes) he has created a very colorful mixture with a very classy feel. All in all this is a very vibrant album, a personal favorite of mine which I can only highly recommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars An interesting and inspirational album, 29 May 2002
This review is from: Seal (Audio CD)
You'll find many albums written with no real feeling in them, and people get used to listening to an artist singing about something he doesn't feel. Seal is a perfect example of expressing real feelings in his work. Another expert at this in my opinion is Darren Hayes, Savage Garden's frontman.
While shopping for yet another CD to add to my collection, Killer was played over the speakers. After getting home, I dug out The Kiss From A Rose single on cassette I'd bought years ago and threw it on. After a few listens, I knew what I needed to do. Not long after, Seal 1st Album was mine, as is now the 2nd album, as Human Being will be once the order gets to me.
This music is obviously straight from the heart. Only three albums released over an extensive length of time really isn't a brilliant sign, but it seems to be well worth it. I just hope that there'll be another soon. I've heard good reviews about Human Being, so I really can't wait to slam it into my CD player after a hard day.

5.0 out of 5 stars i should have died back there...., 17 Jun 2012
Darren Pritchard (hampshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Seal (Audio CD)
the music videos , adamski, chart hits- crazy and killer, school exams, first kisses, motorbikes , girls, beer, camping under the stars with friends. this album is the soundtrack to my teenage years. its weakest songs are the ones that dominated the charts, push on and find utter gems like Wild, whirlpool and the perfect ending to a perfect album - Violet. crazy to think i have been listening to these wonderful songs for over half of my life....

4.0 out of 5 stars some classic songs, 6 Dec 2011
This review is from: Seal (Audio CD)
this is definitely worth a buy. my fave song on it is "Show Me". the man is a realy good singer aswell! i remember being in my mum and dads car when i was younger and we had it on tape and thats how i first heard it. now i have it on cd....
this is great music. its a bit short but the quality is good anyway.
i recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is this really 20 years old now?, 25 Nov 2011
BD "bigdave2020" (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Seal (Audio CD)
20 years old and still outstanding. I would have given it 5 stars at the time of original release, and today the same, easily.

On his debut self titled album Seal reached song writing and artistic peaks he would never again achieve on later releases. This albums works best if one just plays the tracks in order and just let the music flow. The tempo and moods are varied and bring texture and variety which many artists fail to acheive in an entire career, let alone on a debut album. Yes his early singles are here, 'Killer' (non Adamski version), 'Future Love Paradise' and the outstanding 'Crazy', but the album has such greater depth with 'Whirlpool', 'Voilet' and 'Deep Water' it would be a crime to skip them or press stop before you have given them a chance to win you over (which they will).

This album is 9 tracks of magnificence. Thought provoking lyrics and images, matched to the magic touch of Trevor Horn production which even by his own standards is in overdrive. A brilliant mix of electronica, acoustic instruments, live performances and sequenced elements, this album cannot fail to impress even the most hardened critic. The very fact that 20 years after its release I feel compelled so strongly to write about it, says a great deal. In fact I am not quite so sure why I have waited so long to write a review of it.

There is a saying or phrase that goes along the lines that you appreciate things in life in retrospect, well this is certainly true here. This debut album by Seal is what tends to be referred to as a 'classic'. A quiet not obvious classic perhaps, but it fully deserves that title.

If music released and produced today sounded this good and as involving I would buy more records, so do yourself a favour and grab a copy of it for a few quid or less, and treat yourself to the utter delight that is Seal. It doesn't matter that you might be 20 years late to the album, better to be late to a good party than early to a bad one.

Enjoy.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Seal
Seal by Seal (Audio CD - 1991)