5.0 out of 5 stars By far the best album by this band EVER !!!!!
Well, what can I say. It starts with a bang and goes on to surprise with every track, especially the 14 minute long title track Once Around the World. A musical masterpeice. I bought this album on it's original release about a decade ago and played it to death, literally (it was on tape and got mangled). God knows why this band split up, heaven knows I wish I knew...
Published on 24 Jun 2002 by Dizzy

2.0 out of 5 stars It Bites - It's Disappointing
Published on 14 Aug 2006 by Andy H

4.0 out of 5 stars Good 80's Prog, 10 Mar 2014
This review is from: Once Around The World (Audio CD)
Firstly, lets say this IS prog. Even though it's 1980's to the core. But it's great. A mixture of short rock/pop songs, & 2 long songs. It Bites musically can not be faulted. In fact they put in ctyle changes mid-song just for sake of it. But boy can they play. Overall a better album than their debut. Worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Always loved this!, 5 Nov 2013
K. Chistopher "Zee" (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Around The World (Audio CD)
I finally got around to ordering a copy of this after years of waiting. Absolutely love it and forgot how much I did.

5.0 out of 5 stars How did I miss this???, 26 Mar 2012
Stotty (Bolton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Around the World (Audio CD)
Back in 1988 when this album came out, I was listening to the likes of Marillion, Genesis and Yes. To me, It Bites were that one hit wonder pop group that did 'Calling all The Heroes'. By 1990, to me, It Bites were that one hit wonder pop group that were now trying to be a rock band in order to appeal to Kerrang! readers.
In hindsight, I can't believe that I was so narrow minded. I only gave the band a hearing after reading countless features and reviews in Classic Prog magazine as well as reading album reviews here on Amazon. I had never known that It Bites were a prog influenced band, so I decided to buy 'Once Around The World' and sample them for myself. Suffice to say, I was completely blown away by this album.
Ok, in places ('Midnight', 'Kiss Like Judas'), it sounds very 80s, but that's to be expected. On the whole, this is a bright and breezy, well produced blend of catchy pop/rock and 80s style prog. In fact, I'd say fans of what Yes, Genesis and Rush were doing in the 1980s would absolutely love this.
There are some epics on here. 'Yellow Christian' has complex time signatures and is highly reminiscent of vintage Yes, right down to Francis Dunnery's Jon Anderson-esque vocal. 'The Old Man And The Angel' is more of the same, with some good instrumental passages and a thoughtful lyric.
The real show stopper has to be the title track. It's 14 minutes plus of absolutely bonkers, swirling prog with mad lyrics, time changes and instrumental workouts. It even manages to include some 1920s style jazz. Terrific stuff.
My favourite tracks are the David Lee Roth/Van Halen sounding 'Rose-Marie' and 'Black December' with its ghostly keyboards.
There's a bit of everything on this record that will satisfy just about anyone. Pop fans will enjoy the catchy hooks and melodies, there's some decent riffage for rock fans and plenty of top end musicianship for prog fans. Every track is vibrant, lively and played/sung with infectious enthusiasm. From start to finish, 'Once Around The World' delivers the kind of music that leaves you with a big smile on your face.
I've ended up buying the band's back catalogue on the strength of this, including the newer albums (albeit without Dunnery, but with the equally gifted John Mitchell at the helm). I just can't believe that I missed It Bites the first time round.
If there's anyone that made the same mistake as me, then for God's sake don't miss them the second time!

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 24 Jun 2009
Yes indeed, "Genius" is a word rarely thrown at popular beat combo's, but this opus from a tragically under-acclaimed group is just that. Marvellous.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 21 Nov 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Once Around the World (Audio CD)
A little known or recognised band from Carlisle of all places. If you have ever thought of buying an album just for the hell of it, this is the one. Musically, it was and is a masterpiece. "Once around the world" is quite simply the best track you will ever hear. Like many, I guess the tape copy expired some time ago. Buy it and enjoy

2.0 out of 5 stars It Bites - It's Disappointing, 14 Aug 2006
Andy H (NORTHAMPTONSHIRE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Once Around the World (Audio CD)
I purchased this album because I am a fan of Kino, a band in which John Beck is currently playing and the fact that it was recently announced that It Bites were reforming with John Mitchell, (Arena, Kino and lately Frost*) on guitar. I struggled to get into this album on the first few listens and returning to it some months later things have not got any better. Yes, there are one or two decent (pop) songs on it, Midnight and Kiss Like Judas for instance but I get very bored with it and have not as yet managed to listen to it all the way through. Maybe I'm missing something but it has been a disappointment. My advice to John Mitchell is stick with your other bands and let It Bites rest in peace.

Once Around the World
Once Around the World by It Bites (Audio CD - 1988)