5.0 out of 5 stars An immediately accessable album, 26 July 2003
RC Norman (Cambridge, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flaunt The Imperfection (Audio CD)
Flaunt the Imperfection is definitely worth a listen. Although very 80's, nevertheless a fine example of polished pop, crisp rhythms and melodic chord progressions.
It sees a change of direction for China Crisis as they move away from the programmed, sequenced sounds heard on 'Difficult Shapes and Passive Rhythms', to a more organic sound including a real drumkit!
The sentiment of the album seems to steer away from love and romance which is quite refreshing. 'King in a Catholic style' moves along at a brisk pace whilst 'Black Man Ray', the other chart offering, is more restrained, yet poignant.
This up-beat record can easily be listened to end-to-end and has great continuity. The tracks all sound like they belong on the same disc and there are no obvious fillers.
It is also important to point out that this recording was produced by Walter Becker. Steely Dan fans take note!
In summary:
A great record, not heavily emotionally charged so therefore listenable at any time. People who liked 'King in a Catholic style won't be disappointed by the rest of the album. Good sound quality too - do not adjust your tone controls!

5.0 out of 5 stars Flaunting The Perfection, 26 Mar. 2012
Coincidence Vs Fate - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Flaunt The Imperfection (Audio CD)
In the review for the excellent Ultimate Crisis compilation released earlier this month I was droning on about my perceived lack of respect from Virgin for the bands' back catalogue. Many 80s bands, well-known or not have had their albums re-released and given a makeover and I think it's a shame that China Crisis haven't had the same treatment.

Flaunt The Imperfection is the bands third album and one which marked a remarkable change of direction, and one which they would follow for the rest of their career. It had been two years since the politics of Working With Fire and Steel with it's slabs of synth and slap bass and the lead single Black Man Ray showed that in those two years they had matured as songwriters and musicians. The album was produced by the legendary Walter Becker and his former bands' influence is stamped over every track, with classy guitar licks and crystal clear sound. The album starts off with another single, The Highest High (I videoed their performance on Wogan and watched it a countless times over the years), a great track all about overcoming adversity and beating the odds. Track two, Strength Of Character is one of the best tracks the band has ever done, a real favourite for me live too. You Did Cut Me was another single, not as strong as Strength (!), but still catchy as hell, then the aforementioned Black Man Ray, which sticks out from the other tracks, not just for its sheer commercial drive but because it's "style" is different. Wrapping up side one (in old money) is Wall Of God, which is simply stunning. Five minutes of bliss.

Side two kicks off with the first Eddie vocal, Gift Of Freedom, which also popped up as a b-side. A waste I think as it would have been a good contender for a single, I reckon. King In A Catholic Style, what can I say about that? One of the bands best known tracks, but for me one of the very few that I actually skip past - sorry fellas. It really sticks out and sounds nothing like anything else on the LP and reminds me a little of Hanna Hanna, another strange single choice. The next two tracks revert to the style of Flaunt though, Bigger The Punch... and The World Spins.. again both feature catchy choruses and guitar licks to die for. Finally, Blue Sea, another Eddie vocal and a natural winding down to the album.

Flaunt The Imperfection is a really, really good album. Apart from the odd bit - I'm thinking the synth in Gift Of Freedom here - the album has aged well and doesn't sound like it's twenty seven years old. I remember buying this from a little record shop in the square in Kenilworth (for those who remember) and got annoyed when they brought out the album in both red and green sleeves. Obviously, I had to get those aswell! It's an album I play with alarming regularity both on vinyl and CD when I'm in the car and I even catch my wife - who has a rubbish taste in music -Adelle?! - singing along.

As I mentioned at the beginning of the review I think it's now time for Virgin to remaster these albums and include b-sides from the period - in this case the excellent 96.8, It's Never Too Late and Orange Mutt Mutt Dance (I kid you not!).

Come on Virgin, you know it makes sense!

5.0 out of 5 stars Well done lads., 10 Jun. 2010
This review is from: Flaunt The Imperfection (Audio CD)
Produced by Walter Becker this maybe very Liverpool, very eighties but its also very good. It spawned 2 hit singles, King In A Catholic Style & Black Man Ray, the former sounding very Difficult Shapes, but there is a progression and sophistication here from the band, aided by the erstwhile Dan Man at the helm. Album tracks like the uplifting The Highest High, intelligent Strength Of Character & wistful You Did Cut Me stand out but the real highlight is Wall Of God. Wall Of God is a genuinely perfect slice of pop heaven with a superb bass line, lovely synth chords, a guitar solo and outstanding lyrics: "Devil on my back, underneath my skin/I have touched on greater meaning/I have given myself to learning". Well done lads.

5.0 out of 5 stars John the Boxer is Braver Now, 9 Jun. 2009
This review is from: Flaunt The Imperfection (Audio CD)
This one missed me in the 80s, though I always liked their first album. I love it when you discover for yourself a hidden gem.

Can't stop playing 'The Highest High' - so soulful. And I for one am so pleased John - the Boxer - rediscovered his courage.

4.0 out of 5 stars 80's nostalgia, 24 Feb. 2010
Pinarello Pirate (North Somerset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flaunt The Imperfection (Audio CD)
I bought this CD because I had it on cassette. It is typical 80's music, but that's not a bad thing because this era produced many excellent songs.

China Crisis had already made their mark with 'Christian' and 'Wishful Thinking' on their previous album. Once again with 'Flaunt the imperfection' they have managed to squeeze in as much easy-listening as possible, including 'King in a Catholic Style' which was released as a single. Get to know the songs and you will find yourself singing along to them in no time. The last track 'Deep Blue Sea' will leave you with a good feeling and a yearning to keep pressing the repeat button.

A very good album from a decade of talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars I need more stars..., 16 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Flaunt The Imperfection (Audio CD)
... to rate this wonderful record. One of the best records in pop history EVER !!!. For when a collector's edition?. This cd deserves it more than any other. I wish then band would come back !!. I love you guys. Cheers from Bilbao

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb melodic album, great songs, 26 Nov. 2009
Kborom (North Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Flaunt The Imperfection (Audio CD)
This is the album that got me into China Crisis. I was leaving Andy's Records in Norwich when a song came on and I stopped, turned around and asked the guy on the counter who it was. He already had it ready for me having seen my reaction!

Having worn the tape version out I purchased again in CD, great album which I still regularly play on my mp3 player.

Mainly pop, but well written songs, some odd lyrics I admit but it all adds to the charm of this album, and also to China Crisis generally. Their earlier 2 albums were more "of the day" but this is pretty timeless.

5.0 out of 5 stars brilliant, 3 Feb. 2013
This review is from: Flaunt The Imperfection (Audio CD)
reminded of ths album by a recent new band i saw, so decided to go back and listen again I'm glad i did, wonderful album !!!

5.0 out of 5 stars not imperfect at all, 9 Jan. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Flaunt The Imperfection (Audio CD)
This album was one of the best of the mid-eighties in my opinion and, along with 'Naughty Boys' by YMO and 'Sidewalk' by Icehouse, was my most played LP of that period. I purchased a copy of the CD recently and still found the music to be very pleasant - generally uptempo jazz-orientated pop. I personally wasn't too keen on the two singles, but tracks like 'Gift of Freedom', 'Wall of God' and 'Bigger The Punch' were superb. It was certainly their best album by far and I would recommend any fan of eighties pop to buy it now!

4.0 out of 5 stars Scouse swing!, 2 Aug. 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: Flaunt The Imperfection (Audio CD)
What can i say about this? It doesnt have 10 classic tracks, maybe only 6 but the first 6 tracks alone are heaven on earth. Smooth and light textures glide over the more cutting lyrical side of this record but always there is the fresh,upbeat and exhilirating music. Very Liverpool,very eighties but almost genius. I hadnt heard any China Crisis before I bought this and it suprised me greatly, took a few listens but the first six tracks were instant favourites.....superb!

Flaunt The Imperfection
Flaunt The Imperfection by China Crisis (Audio CD - 1985)