5.0 out of 5 stars Best female rock album , ever ?, 3 Nov 2002
This review is from: American Thighs (Audio CD)
Ok so they borrow a lot from just about every grunge or pre-grunge act going..you can hear Nirvana, Pixies, Breeders..you name it in their song riffs but these two girls and their supporting male rhythm section (Steve Lack on bass and Nina's half brother Jim Shapiro on drums do and excellent job holding things together) put it together in such a well delivered packaged..you forgive them for not being pioneering..they are just damn good pop-rock songwriters.
Maybe I'm second guessing people here with the intro passage but Veruca Salt were heavily criticised in some quarters...1.) For supposedly jumping on the post grunge bandwagon, 2.) For being fronted by two admittedly attractive female singers/guitarists. Nina Gordon and Louise Post are not a pair of talentless bimbo's though...these two can sing and play. American Thighs is their first album and was recorded pretty much on the cheap by Brad Wood..and for the most part it sounds like Breeders but with a bit more punch.
Not expecting Thighs to be much more than just the simple notion of getting a record out there....Veruca Salt surprisingly exploded onto the scene with their debut single Seether. Not yet released at the time, it still got a ton of airplay and Veruca Salt were soon one of the biggest buzz bands on the alt-rock scene...that's where alot of jealousy towards them in the music press also came from, they did not slug their way through 100's of gigs before getting recognition, they got a quick break. Seether deserved to get them their break, it's stormer of a song with a riff so infectious you won't get it out of your head for days, it's strength lies in the fact that it is poppy yet viciously rocking at the same time.
American Thighs starts with the explosive yet introspective Get Back and there is alot of this tugging between being introspective and full blown rocking out, throughout American Thighs, which makes for a compelling listen. Spiderman '79 has all the muscular riffage of a stadium rocker, yet is delivered in such an innocent way that it possibly could only be delivered by a female fronted band. whilst Wolf (a song I've read being about the death of Louise Post's cat) is a grower, that starts off slow and then builds up into a crescendo of suppresive guitars.
A lot has been tried to been made of the difference of the two leads Nina and Louise. Instead of writing together, they write separately and sing on the songs they write...Nina is supposedly more the pop writer and Louise more the instropective rock writer. These theories fall down , when Louise comes out with the sizzling Victrola....probably the most direct and simple little rifforama of a song on the entire album and Nina produces to equally dazzling effect 25, an over seven minutes long slowburn rock epic. Other winners up Louise Post's sleeve are Celebrate You, a sweet endearing dazzling pop song..that may not grab your attention at first as a standout track but gets better with every listen and then there is All Hail Me with its driving rhythm section and it's creepy lyrics about serial killers. Nina Gordon responds with the stop/start free-wheeling dynamics of Forsythia and possibly the best song on the album Number One Blind. Despite having the albums silliest lyrics (it's about a blinds company) ...Number One Blind is a perfect pop rock song with an insanely catchy bassline and lead guitar by Louise Post that is simply divine and finally add the faded dream-like Sleeping Where You Want,with it's isolated guitar dangled delicately to complete Gordon's repetoire.
I must say I love these girls lyrics though even the audacity of a song about a blinds company is endearing, and you've also got an equally silly offering in Victrola a song about getting a Victrola radio for Christmas. However they can be equally as endearing or down right scary. Compare the introspective sweetness of Celebrate You to the rage of Seether. It's also the quirky turns of phrase such as ' A spider monkey is a good lie' (Forsythia) or 'You smell of corduroy and lemon drops' (Spiderman '79) that I find so compelling, the sort of lyrics that suggest Miss's Gordon and Post are about as cranked in the head as a typical Brittany Murphy film character.
Despite a few misfires the forgettable Twinstar and the awkward sounding Fly (for once the lyrics come unstuck and don't seem to fit on this acoustic number) ..I'd still give this album a full blown 10 out of 10. I'm not suggesting it is perfect (no album is) but it's hardly been out of my rotation since I got it and it gets better with every listen...well maybe not after every listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars a yellow baby is a bad sign, 5 May 2002
This review is from: American Thighs (Audio CD)
Well, I got Eight Arms To Hold You first, because thats the only one I could find and I loved that. I saved up enough money to buy this one, and at first I thought that was a complete waste of time. I really didn't like it: none of the songs seemed to be as good as any of the songs on EATHY. But, I remembered how with a few songs on EATHY, I had to listen to them a few times to really like them. So, I listened to the whole album about three times in a row, and then BOOM. Literally. I was hooked. I got this slightly less than a month ago and I have hardly listened to anything else since. All the songs apart from one are fantastic. The lyrics are really beautiful, and even if you can't identify with them at first, you still appreciate them and be moved by them. There are lots of different styles on this song, none of them sound samey to me. My favourite songs are Celebrate You, which is an amazing and quite haunting (yes, sounds pretentious, but very true) song with an amazing middle bit which always spooks me a little bit. The lyrics are amazing, and the mesage behind it is something we will all be able to relate to, maybe not now but probably one day. Wolf is lovely, and very sad, but I often listen to it just for that fantastic "Wolf, I cried Wolf" which is one of the best Veruca Salt harmonies there is. For some reason I like Fly, if I'm in a sad mood it makes me cry. Beatiful words. Sleeping Where I Want is one of the songs I didn't like but now I find the guitar and bass really great and its one of my favourites. Seether, of course - the fanatastic poppy catchy song that even my most teenyboppery of friends adore. The only song on the album I don't like is Twinstar. I think the words (apologies to Nina and Louise) are really boring and the tune leaves nothing to be desired. Ah, one more. Another brilliant part of the album is in 25, when they sing "When I was 5, I took a dive. When I was 10 I walked again. When I was 15, I kept my motor clean. When I was 20, I got plenty. When I was 25.." I love those words and also the way that songs moves from hard rock to a soft guitars in minutes. Buy this album. Now.
Thank you for listening folks, and goodnight.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant album!, 3 May 2001
This review is from: American Thighs (Audio CD)
I deliberated for some time before buying this album as I already owned (and loved) 'Eight Arms to Hold You' and I didn't want to be disappointed by their first album as I had read various reviews and wasn't really sure if I was going to like it! It's rarely off my stereo. There are so many good songs, in fact I would even go as far as to say all songs are excellent. Unlike so many albums there aren't any songs that I skip when listening to it. It really is an album you will never tire of and Seether is such an amazing song....one that you can really let all of your stress out by singing along to! I just wish I'd bought it sooner!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy this album NOW!, 7 July 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: American Thighs (Audio CD)
after becoming obsessed with 'eight arms to hold you', i had to hunt down this album. 6 months later i found it. at first i wasn't impressed with even the ever-popular "seether" and decided to stick to eight arms. How wrong I was. This album is fantastic and a must for any record collection. the themes are all completely original, yet deeply moving. for example, Wolf is a song about Louise Post's cat, the late Wolfgang. All Hail Me is Louise Post experimenting as a murderer, and Victrola is Louise's love song to her stereo. Even stranger is Nina's song "Number One Blind" about a blind company, and "Forsythia" which contains the line "a spidermonkey is a good lie, i don't know why". Other highlights include the gorgeous "Celebrate You", "Spiderman '79", "Twinstar" and of course, the one and only "Seether".

4.0 out of 5 stars great girl rocky pop kinda thing, 15 Nov 2011
This review is from: American Thighs (Audio CD)
After searching for "Seether" on iTunes for a millenia, I ended up back on good ole amazon to buy the album on which it features. Really glad I made the purchase- I definitely missed out on Veruca Salt first time round for some reason...don't know why as this is a brilliant album, I think All Hail Me is overtaking Seether as my favourite track! Would definitely reccommend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guitary rock, 30 Nov 2007
Cat (Surrey, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: American thighs (Audio CD)
Energetic guitar rock with female vocals. Great to listen to relaxing with a glass of wine or to dance to.

5.0 out of 5 stars how amazing is this album, 14 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: American Thighs (Audio CD)
absolutly fantastic! it is one of the best albums ever, scratch that, the best album ever! Veruca Salt's Debut album is a mix of rock and pop with amazing and haunting vocals, the ability to scream one song and whisper another shows class. number one blind (a song about levolor would you believe it) is a classic song and everybody loves seether. you should buy it now if you don't already have it

5.0 out of 5 stars how amazing is this album, 14 April 2001
Mr. S. ROBINSON "Stevie" (Edinburgh, UK) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars WOW! One of my favourite albums ever...., 5 Oct 2000
This review is from: American Thighs (Audio CD)
The debut album from Veruca Salt is one of the few cd's that I can listen to almost costantly without tiring of it. Seether is an amazing song (but everyone knows that right?) but there are far better in this diverse collection. "Forsythia", for example, never fails to make me smile with it's irresistible pop chorus, and "Number 1 Blind" is the best song you are ever going to hear about a blinds company (no kidding!). There are so many great songs on here that I find it hard to choose the best ones, every single track is a winner. There is something so refreshing about this cd and Louise Post's and Nina Gordon's vocals are the perfect accompaniment to the "seething" guitars , heavy thick bass and pounding drums. I cant stress this enough: BUY THIS ALBUM. I promise that you won't be dissapointed.

ARRAY(0xa6b55864)

American Thighs
American Thighs by Veruca Salt (Audio CD)