Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 November 1999
If you like Fiona Apple and perhaps even Tori Amos, then Imogen Heap is going one step further with her dark and soulful songs that must be listened to more than once. Favourites being "Getting Scared", with its dark yet indepepndent quality, to "Whatever" which is bound to make you sing, and "Come Here Boy" which I've played so much that the CD skips through most of it through wear. I don't know whether or not it will appeal to everyone, but I personally check every CD store to see if another Heap creation will be coming out soon, and thankfully she's not commercial - yet. She's brilliant.
on 14 February 2001
I Megaphone (an anagram of Imogen Heap) was released in 1998 on Almo Sounds. (Who have now shut down). It was produced by Dave Stewart of Eurythmics, David Khane, and Guy Sigsworth (recent producer of Madonna's What it feels like for a girl). It is a classic, moody, emotional, perceptive album. Everyone should have a copy. Since this album, Imogen has appeared on the successful Urban Species album Blanket out on Talkin' Loud records UK at end of 1998. She can also be found on the soundtrack to G:MT, a 1999 UK film, singing Meantime. Other collaborations are with Mich Gerber on Amor Fati and on the new Jeff Beck album You had it coming. She has now signed to Island Records UK as part of a new band Frou Frou with her old friend/producer Guy Sigsworth; look out for that....
on 4 March 2001
Two tracks really stand out on this album - "Angry Angel" (an interesting cross between Maria McKee's most recent work and Tori Amos in "Choirgirl Hotel" mode with a little Courtney Love thrown in for good measure) and "Rake It In" (again, in Maria McKee territory, with some very effective simple piano that is a joy to listen to). While Imogen Heap gets very close to Alanis Morrisette style angst more often than I'd like, she is musically way ahead of Alanis and the lyrics are a great deal better. A couple of not-so-good things, the albums was fairly obviously made on a budget, so it was pretty much stuck with a basic set of instruments where a bit of harpsichord (for example) wouldn't have gone amiss, and the accompanying booklet is very difficult to read. Other than that a great work, and a must-have for any music collection.
on 3 November 2007
I first listened to this album on the recommendation of a friend, but initially found a lot of the tracks on the album a little 'hard' on the first few listens. However, there is something pervasive and powerful about her songs, and I have found myself reaching for this album more and more.

Stand out songs on the album are (for me):
Candlelight (beautiful, melodic piano based ballad)
Come here boy (sensual with delicious lyrics...this is a REAL grower)
Angry Angel (powerful, emotion packed)

Imogen Heap has a gorgeous, powerful and distinctive voice which is evocative, haunting and memorable.

If you like such artists as Frou Frou (on which Imogen sings), Fiona Apple, Beth Orton or even Bjork....slightly experimental, intelligent and thought provoking, then I cannot recommend this highly enough!
on 14 October 2000
Imogen Heap is an amazing alternative artist who kicks ass! This album's perfect to listen to either when I want to just let go of everything and have a good scream, or when I'm feeling a tad emotional and all I want to do is hear some creative lyrics. From the peaceful "Sleep" to the upbeat "Whatever" and the mad "Rake it in", there's definitely a brilliant attitude in this album. Personally my fave tracks have to be "Angry Angel" and "Come Here Boy".
on 20 March 2007
Being an Imogen Heap fan I'm a little biased, but EVERY song on the album is fantastic in its own way. Each verse on each song has its own personality and story and it is definately one of the best albums I've ever heard. This girl can't help but ooze good music and should be more successful, but sometimes AMAZING talent goes unnoticed because the artist may not 'appeal.'

Highlights: Getting Scared, Angry Angel, Rake It In & Come Here Boy

Disappointments: Shine (at first).
`I Megaphone' is Imogen Heap's first album before she found fame with Frou Frou and subsequent solo albums. It is produced by Dave Stewert and I found Imogen's early sound to be very reminiscent of both Alanis Morrissette and Tori Amos. One song that sounds like her later work is `Come Here Boy' and this is a standout track on the album. This album had plenty of her unique song writing and vocals that existing fans will enjoy and even at this stage you could tell that originality suffused every aspect of her music. As a stand alone album this is pretty impressive but if you come to this after hearing some of Imogen's later work you may be slightly disappointed; but there is no need really as this offers up some top tunes and shows the development of this underrated and unique artist. Worth a listen, especially if you are a fan of the aforementioned artists.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 23 June 2007
I first heard "Come Here Boy" on Ned Sherrin's BBC R4 show "Loose Ends" back in 1998 and I loved it so much that I went out, found the album (the days before Amazon UK) and bought it. I guess it's fair to say that that song has become part of the soundtrack of my life and Imogen Heap has become one of my favourite artists.

For me the other stand out track on the album is "Angry Angel". There's an energy here, an honesty and a humour that just make it one of my favourite tracks.

But I think that is true about Imogen Heap as a singer/songwriter. She's obviously entirely engaged with her creative space but also with the world around here. There's always a commentary, never pushed but always there to be questioned. A wish list of ten people around my dinner table? Well she'd certainly be one of them, especially if I could reprise that first "Come Here Boy" moment.
on 4 January 2010
I bought this album to complement the other excellent albums Imogen Heap has made. In my opinion it is not her best but there some good tracks on this album. Don't dismiss the album on first listening as the songs and subtle backing take time to be appreciated. This album is worth buying but her early album 'Details' under her pseudonym 'Frou Frou' is hard to beat.
on 23 November 2000
Although increasingly difficult to purchase (with the closure of Almo Records), every good music collector should have this in their collections - it's a classic! As one other reviewer said, if you're a fan of Fiona Apple/Tori Amos/Alanis Morissette then you will definitley love this.