Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 November 2002
The Waterboys (or more accurately Mike Scott and various musicians) started their career by being picked as a support band for U2, and you can see why from listening to their early material. 'A Girl Called Johnny' is miles away from something like 'Fisherman's Blues', and apart from the vocals, it's hard to imagine it's the same band.
They didn't go the stadium rock route of U2 though, and if anything their career went backwards, from near rock anthems to celtic folk rock recorded in small out of the way recording studios. Mike Scott's talent is undeniable though, writing some great songs. The one that everyone knows is 'Whole of the Moon', but there are plenty of other great songs here too.
That's the trouble though, there just isn't enough room on this CD to do them justice. A double CD would have been far better, as there are too many tracks missing that really should be here. That's the ONLY reason I think 4 stars rather than 5 though.
At their best, The Waterboys matched the brilliance of founder Mike Scott’s heroes like Patti Smith and Van Morrison, in creating poetic masterpieces with a spiritual essence/trancendent quality – “the Big Music” as Scott calls it. Examples are the dark, powerful Killing My Heart, the gentle ballad The Whole Of The Moon and the soaring Spirit. At their worst, they gave us singalong Celtic Folk like And A Bang On The Ear and others, but even these are rendered memorable by catchy melodies and the wonderful mix of instruments. Most of the songs fall somewhere inbetween, although the melodic A Man Is In Love and All The Things She Gave Me also stand with the Big Music. I’d really like to give it four stars, but an album with classics like Killing My Heart or Spirit deserves the full five!
on 27 December 2012
I only bought this on a whim and discovered it was fabulous best buy this year for me if you like the track whole of the moon trust me you find better songs than that on this album
on 27 September 2013
Recently saw The Waterboys live for the first time. They played many of the songs on this album so brought back good memories.
on 16 December 2012
rated this because its a fantastic album just what I expected would recomend this cd to someone thanks so much
on 3 March 2016
Another good band I missed in the 80's-90's due to the fact I thought a lot of their hits were actually Hothouse Flowers.
Good starter CD for the earlier hits. Celtic in nature and good as a background CD.
on 14 November 2015
Saw their live set on TV from Glasto.They were the best thing there imo. full of energy, tunes and lyrics. What was i doing when they first emerged? oh yeh babies and things. Love this album and will get their back cds soon.
on 30 June 2013
I bought this album soley for the track- The Whole of the Moon, as I have enjoyed listening it every time I heard it playing on the radio over the years. However I am finding it all very easy and enjoyable listening, I wish I'd got it years ago and now making up for what I missed as playing it regularly. If you are thinking about it go for it. It is an overall good album.
on 3 September 2013
I've come to The Waterboys late in life - I've known of them for years, but a recent radio programme whetted my interest and this really is a good album, with a variety of styles. No doubt aficionados will already have all the songs, but if - like me - you want to get a flavour of the band, then you can't go wrong with this.
on 2 March 2012
I had the this album many years ago but over several house moves I lost it. I decided that it was time to replace it, along with several others (vinyls), This is a brilliant album, it basically has all the well known tracks that are loved by all Waterboys fans. It is a good introduction to their music and great for the car. be carefull if the windows are down though because you cant help singing along with the tracks very loudly -scaring other motorists!