4.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me or do these guys just get better and better!!
Published on 24 Nov 1999 by davelister18@hotmail.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Bit of a publicity stunt...
For me, Stunt marks the beginning of BNL's decline. There's no doubting the success of the album and the fact it helped the band crack America, spawning their No.1 hit single 'One Week' (as an aside they did a far superior rap-based song called 'Fight The Power' for The Coneheads film soundtrack a few years earlier).
But there is a definite feeling that in striving...
Published on 7 Aug 2004 by clink

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Is it just me or do these guys just get better and better!!, 24 Nov 1999
This review is from: Stunt - Special Edition (Audio CD)
I haven't been a BNL fan for very long but since i first heard the melodic mix of sounds that the ladies churn out time and time again i've been hooked on them. Although they have no designated style they happily mix folk, rock, rap, and even a very small touch of country on this ingenious new album. If you have heard any of the bands previous stuff and liked it then you will love this one even more than the rest. The album has an energy that is almost uncontrolable as Ed and Steve rampage through their strangely obscure view of life entertaining us all the while. So in conclusion, if you liked them before this one then you will love the vibrance of this almost feel good collection of songs. A must buy for all BNL Fans!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Probably their best album to date, 2 Nov 1999
This review is from: Stunt (Audio CD)
After having listened to this album, it is plain to see that The Barenaked Ladies have not written a better album yet. Although their 1992 album 'Gordon' is a definite contender to the throne, with some absolutly classic tracks, 'Stunt' takes the first prize mixing their usual style with a couple of tracks which you would not necessarily associate with them. For people who are not huge fans of BNL, this album still includes songs like 'One Week' and 'It's all been Done' which are possibly their most famous hits. Although this album does not include the classic 'If I had $1,000,000' it still contains their best track 'Alcohol.' Every BNL fan should have this album and even non-fans should enjoy most of these songs which appeal to most tastes of music.

4.0 out of 5 stars It's all been done? No it's new and excellent, 17 Jan 2000
This review is from: Stunt - Special Edition (Audio CD)
This is a really great CD, BNL are a great band with catchy tunes and witty lyrics. Although I don't like this CD as much as "Gordon" it is still brilliant. There are some amazing songs on here, "One Week" is of course their famous one, and it is a classic. However a lot of the other songs are also brilliant, dare I say it maybe even better. If you've already got Gordon then buy this CD, you won't be sorry. If you haven't then buy Gordon (Ok, I'm obsessive, and I guess some people may prefer this CD to Gordon, especially as it has the live editions). I don't know which is my favourite track, though I do love "Who needs sleep", I think there are a lot of great songs though. The bonus of having the live editions of songs that aren't on the album is good, particularly since it means you get "If I had $1000 000" that is possibly one of their best songs. I would buy you a green dress - but not a real green dress, that's cruel. Ok, I'll stop raving now. Basically though I haven't liked them for long I have decided this group is amazing, their songs are really clever and I could sing them all day long.

5.0 out of 5 stars Musical Genius, 10 Feb 2003
This review is from: Stunt - Special Edition (Audio CD)
This was the first BNL cd I ever bought after hearing "One Week". I've never looked back since. From the opening song you know you're onto a winner. The cd moves from the quirky, comical, foot tapping brilliance that is "One Week" to the slow, moving, thought provoking "When you dream". The only song I can't listen to is "Leave" but then country and western has never appealed to me. And as an added bonus there's 7 extra tracks of their most popular songs, 6 of which are live. The cd didn't leave my player until I bought maroon. If your a BNL fan, you don't need convincing, and if you're not, then this album is all the convincing you need.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very fine, but not their finest, 10 May 2000
This review is from: Stunt (Audio CD)
There are a lot of reviews of this album from folks who begin with "I'd only ever heard 'One Week' before I bought this album...". Well I suppose we can thank the UK's radio play lists for that. BNL have now been around a decade - and there's another 3 albums to buy - if my memory serves me correctly. Each one is based on the same principles - observations of life - usually humorous, sometimes melancholic, always spot on. If you liked Stunt you'll almost certainly like the others too. Start with 'Gordon' though - 'Brian Wilson' and 'What a Good Boy' being the highlights of a hell of a debut album. And finally, BNL are without doubt the best live band you will ever see; and best of all, thanks to our Play List chums, you won't have to go to vast monoliths like Wembley Arena to see them. And perhaps that's just the way it should be.

5.0 out of 5 stars SOME THING FANTASTIC!, 12 Feb 2000
This review is from: Stunt (Audio CD)
BEFORE I BOUGHT THIS CD I HAD ONLY EVER HEARD "ONE WEEK" BUT AS I LIKED THE SONG SO MUCHB I TOOK A GAMBLE. I CERTAINLY HIT THE JACK POT, THIS ALBUM IS THE MOST CLEVERLY WRITTEN CATCHIEST MUSIC YOU WILL HEAR IN A LONG TIME. THE LYRICS ARE INCREDIBLY PERSONEL AND MANY OF YOU WILL FEEL YOU CAN RELATE TO LYRICS OF SONGS SUCH AS "ALCHOL"AND "WHO NEEDS SLEEP". THERE ARE SONGS ON THIS ALBUM FOR EVERY MOOD YOU COULD EVER BE IN. THIS ALBUM IS A RECORDING OF MY LIFE AND I LISTEN TO IT NON STOP. IF I COULD GIVE IT MORE THAN 5 STARS I WOULD. I PROMISE YOU IF YOU BUY THIS YOU WON'T REGRET IT, SO GO ON TREAT YOUR SELF TO A PEICE OF THE BEST MUSIC OF THE MILLENIUM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Astounding, comical, clever album. Everyone should own one!, 26 Mar 2000
This review is from: Stunt (Audio CD)
I had heard "shoe box" by the band and because I also enjoyed "One week", the only single I have ever heard by the Ladies in this country, which is a huge shame, I decided to give an album a whirl. It took my breath away. I put on my headphones, sat and listened until there was no more to listen to. Every song and every lyrics worth the money I paid for it. The album comes alive when relating to the songs "Who need sleep" and "Alcohol" and will leave you smiling to yourself thinking "Yeah, that's true! " Thankyou Barenaked ladies. You brought this baby into the world and raised it to be what it is.

5.0 out of 5 stars A supprisingly good album, 1 April 2000
This review is from: Stunt - Special Edition (Audio CD)
I have to admit this is not normally the type of music I would buy. In fact I had only heard three songs by Barenaked Ladies before I bought this, "Shoe Box", "One Week" (featured on this album) and "She's on Time", which prompted me to take a gamble on this album. I was not dissapointed as there isn't a bad track on here. On top of that I was pleasently surprised at getting a bonus CD full of live tracks of the bands previous hits. I would thoughly recommend this album to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than the Beautiful South., 14 April 2000
This review is from: Stunt (Audio CD)
I first saw BNL supporting the Beautiful South in Manchester in early 99, they played them off the stage. The next day I bought "Stunt" and was hooked, it's brilliant. Even my 6 year old son knows all the words to every song it's played that often. Iv'e since bought all their other Cd's and seen them again at the Manchester Apollo, I can't tell you how good they are. Buy this CD, tell your friends and family to buy this CD, lets make BNL as big in the UK as they are in North America.

4.0 out of 5 stars this is excellent, 23 May 2000
This review is from: Stunt - Special Edition (Audio CD)
i also saw BNL supporting Beautiful South at Wembley... admittedly i went to see BNL... they were EXCELLENT... really great performers... brilliant sense of humour and it really added a great quality to the concert. they interacted well with the audience rather than just rattling out their songs. Stunt is a great CD... i have all of them... although i think Rock Spectacle is probably their best. i would recommend it to anyone... either of the two! in fact.... any of their stuff! hehehee

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Stunt
Stunt by Barenaked Ladies (Audio CD - 1999)