5.0 out of 5 stars The album that changed my life, 5 Oct. 2004
C. Wadsworth "anyankathevengeancedemon" (Bradford, West Yorkshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golden Mile (Audio CD)
Around eight years ago I was in a local student nightclub when "12 Reasons Why I Love Her" was played for the first time. The dancefloor erupted with energy as people danced about like lunatics wondering "What is this camp masterpiece?"
Well I bought the single, then the follow up "Sparkle", and from hearing the B sides on the CD Singles realised I'd come across something rather special in My Life Story. These were everything pop songs should be. There's a tune! Lyrics which are a bit naff in places and a bit too deep in others!
The best place to catch MLS was live. Not likely to get to now though as they are now longer together, but some of the guys are still recording under the name ExileInside and only sell their stuff over the net. I'll never forget My Life Story, I still have a bus shelter sized poster signed by 11 or 12 of them at their gig at Bradford Uni in 1997 and it's amongst my most treasured posessions. If you haven't heard this album you owe yourself a listen. Especially if you like pop music for what it should be. Because this is pop music at it's finest. Long Live the King of Kissingdom!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Golden CD, 27 Mar. 2003
This review is from: Golden Mile (Audio CD)
Strangely, this was actually the last of the MLS albums that I bought. Having purchased them in reverse order on the strength of Joined Up Talking. This album is great. It's unique orchestral sound makes captivating listening. "12 Reasons Why" is a brilliant way to kick off the album. The subtlety of this up beat love song provides a change from the usual sop, as Jake Shillingford reminds us of the things (often unusual) that attract us to that one person.
The other song which I feel provides a specific mention is "Sparkle". A stunningly preformed song, with thoughtful and insightful lyrics. A song I can listen to over and over.
Before I go off on a tangent, analysing each song in depth, I will finish by saying this album is superb. In my opinion there is not other band out there with the style or sound of My Life Story. I recommend this to people who are open-minded and looking for something "new" and different to add to their collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Ah! Those tight leather trousers, that blonde quiff..., 10 Nov. 2003
The Marmette (Leamington Spa, Warwickshire. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Golden Mile (Audio CD)
I love this album! In around '97, they were the most flamboyant band around and Jake was always a star. One particular high was seeing them perform King of Kissingdom on Saturday morning television and having to censor it~ *Rock and Roll*! These songs will always remind me of being 14/15 when life was so simple and caterwauling along to 12 Reasons Why I Love Her (single of the week in Melody Maker I seem to remember). See, they were cool! Sparkle will always be a classic, with its lush strings, Mr Boyd is whimsical and hilarious and fun. I remember mixed reviews - nme hated it, melody maker loved it. It's silly and ambitious and energetic and was a welcome breath of fresh air at a time when The Divine Comedy were the more highbrow orchestral sound. X

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the most fantastic albums I own, 31 Jan. 2003
This review is from: Golden Mile (Audio CD)
I first heard of My Life Story when they released 'Strumpet' off this album when I was 15. I fell in love with their music the moment I heard it and couldn't wait to get my hands on the album (The Golden Mile). I have played this album repeatedly over the 5 years I have owned it and I never fail to enjoy it. Songs like Stumpet and Suited and Booted are upbeat and make me feel like jumping around, whereas songs like Claret are poigniant and make you feel reflective. Sparkle is one of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard and has the power to make me happy and sad at the same time. I would recomend this album to everyone, I love it and it takes me back to my years at school when I was young and innocent!

Golden Mile
Golden Mile by My Life Story (Audio CD - 1997)