Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 November 1999
Reggae is always great for parties and improving moods. UB40 don't seem to be your typical reggae band at first glance, but their sound is really brilliant. Their rendition of "Red Red Wine" is excellent, taking the Neil Diamond song to new heights. The classics - "I Got You Babe", "If It Happens Again" and "Rat in My Kitchen" - are great and stir up old memories of poolside parties. My all time favourite has always been, and will always be, "Sing Our Own Song". This really is a great reggae song.
on 28 December 2000
What I hate the most is people's attitude's towards UB40. People who think they aren't a "proper" reggae band just because they aren't Jamaican! Well, any listens to this shows they can play it proficiently and give it their own identity, not least due to the distinctive harmonies of Ali and Robin Campbell. From the anti-Thatcher early stuff to the more commercial but melodic pop-reggae they play now, they never get boring or samey, although the cover of "I Got You Babe" is the only damp squib.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 November 2012
There were fourteen tracks on the original LP; this CD has eighteen. All the tracks were released between 1980 and 1987 and are arranged in chronological order. Not every hit during this period is contained in this collection: for example, there is one hit from the `Geffrey Morgan' album and none at all from `UB44'. Nevertheless, this CD gives a good guide to how good the band could be.

Ironically, I don't really like reggae, but what made UB40 different was that they possessed a canny pop sensibility allied to their love of the genre. Combined, this saw many of their singles consistently reaching high into the charts. Much of their success is also down to good production by others; it is notable that they did not achieve great chart success when they produced themselves.

I was aged 15-22 during the period covered here, so UB40 were part of my youthful experience of pop music during Thatcher's Britain. But by 1990 my musical tastes had progressed into different areas and pop music was left behind. Regardless, it was great to hear most of these tracks again, including all eight minutes of `Don't Let It Pass You By'.
on 26 July 2014
This is a brilliant compilation with all the classics on. My preference is for the older stuff, particularly Food For Thought, King and 1 in 10. These tracks have a bleak quality that reminds me of when I first heard them - Mrs Thatcher in power and over 3 million unemployed. My other favourites are Red Red Wine and the reggae classic Sing Our Own Song. If you are looking for a good UB40 compilation then this is a good buy.
on 20 February 2010
I asked for this for Christmas and was not disappointed.I have been a fan of UB40 for many years now and inspite of being of mature years I never tire of their music.All the old favourites are there so there is not much to comment on.This is also an excellent CD for people not familiar with UB40 to find out the history of their music.I will be playing it for many years.
on 13 June 2014
I rated this 5 stars as this is a great album of U2 and their great songs I love it
on 13 April 2015
Cd work lovely and very quick with delivery
on 10 May 2016
Great cd with top songs,great service with cost ,delivery and was packed well,thanks.
on 26 May 2016
The album is awesome I enjoy listening to it thanks😆
on 6 January 2015