4.0 out of 5 stars A good compilation for casual Traffic fans
Published on 10 Nov 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Rendered rather obsolete.
Published on 15 Feb 2008 by P. B. Koeb

3.0 out of 5 stars Rendered rather obsolete., 15 Feb 2008
P. B. Koeb (Aljezur, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Best Of Traffic (Audio CD)
A decent compilation, at the time of its release in 1970. However, purchasers might be better-advised to consider the double cd retrospective "Smiling Phases". The entire content of "The Best Of Traffic" is featured therein, and a whole lot more besides. It does, therefore, represent much, much better value-for-money than this +/- forty-minute compilation. (Which covers only the early singles and the first three albums.)

4.0 out of 5 stars A good compilation for casual Traffic fans, 10 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Best Of Traffic (Audio CD)
Any album that starts with 'paper sun' and ends with 'dear mr. fantasy' and has 'hole in my shoe' in the middle deserves respect, and this is it.Traffic's fusion of psych/pop/jazz was unique and successful, later being continued by King Crimson and Caravan.This album covers tracks from their first two albums (the best of their career) and throws in their two most successful singles.If their were any critisisms it would be a)where is 'here we go round the mulberry bush', their third top ten single and b)it just isn't long enough (but it was originally issued on vinyl so we'll have to live with that).
Although this isn't the best compilation available it is good for those who just want a cheap, but not nasty, 'best of'.Well worth getting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unique Sound, Superb Performances of Sensitive Arrangements, 20 Jun 2003
This review is from: The Best Of Traffic (Audio CD)
There are only a few outstanding rock singers. Steve Winwood is one of the very best of the best. His voice sounds so distinctive that nobody has ever been able to create that soulful, sensuous, strident sound.
This album was my introduction to Traffic many years ago and it still sounds interesting after 35 years. The band uses interesting tone colours which, while they are individual, cannot help but make you remember those weird psychedelic bands of the late 60s. I love Chris Wood's creative sax and flute. The sitar in Paper Sun is so effective. Hole in My Shoe is so over-the-top and pretentious that I love it!
There is plenty of variety in the album: no two songs sound the same. A few have been splendidly recorded by other artists, including Feeling All Right [Joe Cocker] and Smiling Phases [Blood, Sweat and Tears], but, wonderful as these are, you can't beat the original versions.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sometimes, 14 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Best Of Traffic (Audio CD)
Sometimes it is nice to just have a short sharp history of a band than box sets and outakes and this is about 30 minutes of there early output and it is great, what a fantastic first single paper sun was eh , and don't care what mr winwood says traffic without dave masons hole in my shoe wouldn't be traffic , anyway great buy .

5.0 out of 5 stars classic stuff, 15 Oct 2013
This review is from: The Best Of Traffic (Audio CD)
This is the best of early Traffic, perhaps missing out the great song No Time to Live but including the best singles and especially Paper Sun with the full coda. Reccommended to everyone as an introduction to the band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comprehensive, 4 Mar 2012
This review is from: The Best Of Traffic (Audio CD)
A very comprehensive collection from one of the most innovative bands of the sixties, Paper Sun, Hole in my Shoe, Shanghai Noodle Factory. A key part of any 60s collection.

5.0 out of 5 stars My first real album, 19 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Best Of Traffic (Audio CD)
From 1967 when I really got interested in music through to 1973 I never bought a single record as I owned a tape recorder and faithfully recorded Fluff Freeman's Pick of the Pops every Sunday. When I bought my first Hi Fi in 1973 I concentrated on buying Greatest Hit type albums so that I could listen at last to all my favourite singles in glorious stereo.

I have to confess therefore that my reason for buying this album all those years ago was simply to obtain a couple of hit songs which I liked and to hear for the first time a third single which had flopped. In fact I can remember feeling quite unhappy that "Here we go round the Mulberry Bush" wasn't on the album.

This then is the album that made me realise that not all great music is found in the singles charts and that not all chart singles are great music. Tracks such as "Heaven is in your mind" "Coloured rain" and "Smiling Phases" simply blew my mind and led to me purchasing several more Traffic albums and I can safely say that Traffic were the first band that I was really into. I simply love Winwood's vocals, guitar and organ playing, Chris Wood was an extremely talented exponent of the flute and sax and Jim Capaldi was a superb drummer. Although Dave Mason featured on all the band's early material he didn't quite fit in with where they wanted to go.

Although I still continued to buy "Best of" LPs afterwards, my mind had been well and truly opened and I never quite thought about music the same way again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A good intro to the music of Traffic, 13 Nov 2009
This review is from: The Best Of Traffic (Audio CD)
I bought this CD to replace the LP that I bought in 1971 when I was a student living in Chelsea. I almost wore out the LP when I first got it, and listening to the CD I remembered why.
The tracks here are quite simply hypnotic. The singles "Paper Sun" and "Hole In My Shoe" are included - and though they are brilliant, they are not the strongest songs on the album. For me, the best is "Dear Mr Fantasy". I remember watching Traffic at the Finsbury Park Rainbow in the early '70s, and my mind being blown by Stevie Winwood's guitar playing on "Dear Mr Fantasy". Listening to this CD, I'm taken back to those days.
Happy days indeed!! What happened? Tell you what happened - life! Marriage, kids, mortgage. I wouldn't swap any of it, but it good to remember a time of freedom and wonder what happened to long lost friends.
This CD covers the early years of Traffic, and realisically has been replaced by "Smiling Phases" a double CD which covers all their career. But it is still a classic, and worth every penny.
Excuse me while I light the incense!!!

The Best Of Traffic
The Best Of Traffic by Traffic (Audio CD - 1993)