Format: Audio CD|Change

on 11 August 2001
Was introduced to this in my first year at uni, in 1982. I was hooked and played it non-stop. The simplicity of the production and the empathy with the lyrics blew my mind - Dylan for the new generation. 20 years on, there are still few combos that work as well as Ben and Trace. I urge you to buy it.
on 7 February 2001
I first heard this album when I was 18 years old (and that was 18 years ago!) and it made a profound impact on me. What a cracking album! Some people find it incredibly maudlin and out-of-tune, but I think it's a masterpiece. I liked Everything but the Girl's early stuff which I find similar (though not as inspired), but feel that they went rapidly downhill once commercialisation hit them hard. So, as they say, "the old ones are always the best" - I listen to this album often, and remember Tracy Thorn at her best.
on 4 March 2008
When I was at university in the eighties, someone put this album on in one of those rooms full of friends and acquaintances that make up so much of student life. Everyone stopped talking and listened with what I can only call awe. Thorn at this time was like a voice from another world, so utterly out of step with the pop sensibility of the era. Some years later, she would, of course, find chart recognition. She never lost her own voice.
on 8 February 2008
I was actually looking for Murray Head and "Say it Ain't So" when I thought I'd just look and see if "A Distant Shore" was on the site. It was pure happiness for me to see that it was (I ordered a copy pretty fast). I cannot recommend this album enough. Listening to the opening notes you are immediately entranced by Tracey's beautifully haunting voice. "Eden" by EBTG is also a must - their best work in my opinion.
on 25 January 2005
I owned this on vinyl in 1982 when I was at Uni in Exeter, and Tracey was just out of Uni in Hull where she did English I think. The music will be full of nostalgia for many who remember coming across this gem the first time round. The simplicity of the melodies lend it a great deal of charm, and it is a fascinating earrly example of the voice that would find it's own unique place in 90's music, especially through her collaboration with Massive Attack. Buy this !!
on 9 February 2001
Tracy Thorn's early songs on this album and the Marine Girls' albums are so much more personal and meaningful than the efforts with EBTG. I personally recommend "Too Happy" a haunting song about someone who is worried that the relationship that she is in is too good and will bound to go wrong.....such is life. Listen and learn then find out about The Jobsons from 1987/88
on 3 December 2004
This is a beautiful album. I first bought it on vinyl after buying 'Pillows and Prayers' from Cherry Red, when it came out - I still have my signed copy!
One of the good things about this album is that it reeks of naivety! It really does sound as if she wrote songs in her bedroom about young love and life, and recorded it in the garden shed! Yes, Tracey is sometimes out of tune and the guitar strings sound dodgy, but it is what makes the album so wonderful to listen to. I think that Tracey (and Ben) went downhill after Eden with EBTG, but then you can't stay young and green forever! However, both Ben and Tracey produced some great early stuff such as Night and Day, and the earlier Marine Girls stuff and solo stuff by Ben (such as North Marine Drive) is also interesting. You'll like it if you are reading this review...
on 17 July 2013
I heard this a long time ago at the end of a student party just after it was released. I bought it on vinyl then but I thought Id get a digital copy for my phone now. Melodic, simple acoustic songs with Tracey Thorns beautiful voice. It is really relaxing and brings back pleasant memories..
on 15 April 2010
When Each and Every One came out I bought that and then I hunted high and low for a copy of this album, which in 1984 had already been deleted. What I found was a previous single by the Trace, which had Plain Sailing on one side and Goodbye Joe on the other. After a few listens I found I liked the latter a lot more but it seems now to be unobtainable; I guess one could settle for the original by the Monochrome Set but that's not exactly everywhere, either.

Great album even without it.
on 28 January 2013
I had a vinyal copy of the album in the early 80's so this is a re-vist for me, it brings back so many memories, easy to listen to and an early show case of her song writing talent!