5.0 out of 5 stars Still sounds as good 20 years after being issued, 11 Aug 2001
This review is from: A Distant Shore (Audio CD)
Was introduced to this in my first year at uni, in 1982. I was hooked and played it non-stop. The simplicity of the production and the empathy with the lyrics blew my mind - Dylan for the new generation. 20 years on, there are still few combos that work as well as Ben and Trace. I urge you to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Haunting music which stays with you forever!, 7 Feb 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: A Distant Shore (Audio CD)
I first heard this album when I was 18 years old (and that was 18 years ago!) and it made a profound impact on me. What a cracking album! Some people find it incredibly maudlin and out-of-tune, but I think it's a masterpiece. I liked Everything but the Girl's early stuff which I find similar (though not as inspired), but feel that they went rapidly downhill once commercialisation hit them hard. So, as they say, "the old ones are always the best" - I listen to this album often, and remember Tracy Thorn at her best.

5.0 out of 5 stars A haunting and magical album redolent of student days, 25 Jan 2005
N. J. Constable "Speedfreak" (England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Distant Shore (Audio CD)
I owned this on vinyl in 1982 when I was at Uni in Exeter, and Tracey was just out of Uni in Hull where she did English I think. The music will be full of nostalgia for many who remember coming across this gem the first time round. The simplicity of the melodies lend it a great deal of charm, and it is a fascinating earrly example of the voice that would find it's own unique place in 90's music, especially through her collaboration with Massive Attack. Buy this !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple and Beautiful, 3 Dec 2004
By A Customer
This review is from: A Distant Shore (Audio CD)
This is a beautiful album. I first bought it on vinyl after buying 'Pillows and Prayers' from Cherry Red, when it came out - I still have my signed copy!
One of the good things about this album is that it reeks of naivety! It really does sound as if she wrote songs in her bedroom about young love and life, and recorded it in the garden shed! Yes, Tracey is sometimes out of tune and the guitar strings sound dodgy, but it is what makes the album so wonderful to listen to. I think that Tracey (and Ben) went downhill after Eden with EBTG, but then you can't stay young and green forever! However, both Ben and Tracey produced some great early stuff such as Night and Day, and the earlier Marine Girls stuff and solo stuff by Ben (such as North Marine Drive) is also interesting. You'll like it if you are reading this review...

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost Love, 9 Feb 2001
This review is from: A Distant Shore (Audio CD)
Tracy Thorn's early songs on this album and the Marine Girls' albums are so much more personal and meaningful than the efforts with EBTG. I personally recommend "Too Happy" a haunting song about someone who is worried that the relationship that she is in is too good and will bound to go wrong.....such is life. Listen and learn then find out about The Jobsons from 1987/88

5.0 out of 5 stars Revelatory, 4 Mar 2008
This review is from: A Distant Shore (Audio CD)
When I was at university in the eighties, someone put this album on in one of those rooms full of friends and acquaintances that make up so much of student life. Everyone stopped talking and listened with what I can only call awe. Thorn at this time was like a voice from another world, so utterly out of step with the pop sensibility of the era. Some years later, she would, of course, find chart recognition. She never lost her own voice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscovered, 8 Feb 2008
Sara Weaver (Stroud, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: A Distant Shore (Audio CD)
I was actually looking for Murray Head and "Say it Ain't So" when I thought I'd just look and see if "A Distant Shore" was on the site. It was pure happiness for me to see that it was (I ordered a copy pretty fast). I cannot recommend this album enough. Listening to the opening notes you are immediately entranced by Tracey's beautifully haunting voice. "Eden" by EBTG is also a must - their best work in my opinion.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Chill Out Album, 17 July 2013
This review is from: A Distant Shore (MP3 Download)
I heard this a long time ago at the end of a student party just after it was released. I bought it on vinyl then but I thought Id get a digital copy for my phone now. Melodic, simple acoustic songs with Tracey Thorns beautiful voice. It is really relaxing and brings back pleasant memories..

4.0 out of 5 stars Sitting on a Deckchair!, 28 Jan 2013
This review is from: A Distant Shore (Audio CD)
I had a vinyal copy of the album in the early 80's so this is a re-vist for me, it brings back so many memories, easy to listen to and an early show case of her song writing talent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet songs for a peaceful moment, 17 Mar 2004
This review is from: A Distant Shore (Audio CD)
This is a great album, pre-EBTG but with the romantic tone that would later show up on many EBTG songs. Femme fatale & Too Happy are musts.

A Distant Shore
A Distant Shore by Tracey Thorn (Audio CD - 2002)