5.0 out of 5 stars Who is God! I Wonder?
Published on 28 Aug 2001 by r robertscluck

3.0 out of 5 stars TASTY LICKS
Taste were a powerful trio,lead by the excellent Rory Gallagher on guitar
John Wilson (Drums) and Richard McCracken(bass),they were stalwarts of the festival scene in the late sixties/early seventies there sound of electric blues was the staple diet for many Long haired teenager (me included)
I remember when Polydor issued a sampler (Bombers was the title i seem...
Published on 13 Jun 2009 by Finbar the looney

5.0 out of 5 stars Who is God! I Wonder?, 28 Aug 2001
This review is from: Taste (Audio CD)
If you always thought of Eric Clapton as God and Jimi Hendrix brilliant then listen to Taste. Here in the first album by Taste there is Rory Gallagher's masterful guitar playing, not only electric but acoustic and bottleneck,John Wilson and Richard McCracken lay a good solid base for Rory's playing and vocals. If you like Cream or Hendrix you will love Taste. Six out of the nine tracks are written by Rory who was only nineteen at the time. Once you have heard this Taste album you will want to hear the others. Rory Gallagher was not only a great guitarist but was equally at home with harmonica and saxaphone. I happened on Taste for the first time in 1970 on one of those days when you have decided to buy an album but don't know what, and it was the first one I looked at on the rack so I took a gamble and it paid off. Standout tracks are Blister on the Moon ,I'm moving on and Same Old Story. A CD to put on at the beginning and listen till it ends with nothing to skip over. So where guitarists are concered who is God I wonder?

4.0 out of 5 stars A beguiling debut for the teenager from Co. Donegal, 30 Dec 2006
Mr. Thomas Thatcher "Tom Thatcher" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taste (Audio CD)
Like other reviewers, I saw Rory at a festival and was hooked. It was Woburn Abbey in 1968 and we had already had our ears reamed by a quite dreadful performance by Hendrix - out of tune (horribly), out of time (woefully), perfunctory, noisy, uninspired. In fact, I wonder if the Great God was like this on stage more often than not. Anyway, on the Sunday evening on came Taste and just blew Hendrix and his foul noise away - and I was very far from the only one to think that although few would admit it today since Hendrix has been canonised.

I went to see the band at the Marquee very shortly after that (Rory, Norman Damery and Eric Kitteringham) and Rory told me that they had done a few sessions and had one single on the Irish Major Minor label - Blister on the Moon c/w Born on the Wrong Side of Time. After a long hunt I tracked it down and played it to death.

After more gigs than people realise in this line-up, Gallagher formed the band that plays on this, the first "real" Taste album. The two Major Minor tracks are repeated and show an already good feel for composition. The epic "Sugar Mama", which was a tour de force on stage and used to include Summertime and also a Chim-chiminee riff, comes off well here, very raw and basic, although recorded in the back of a Mini, I guess. "Hail" is a very odd acoustic song with wierd words, with a small quote from Bach in the instrumental section. "Leaving Blues" is good, well played and thoughtful, and shows Gallagher's love of country blues artists such as Blind Boy Fuller, Scrapper Blackwell and the composer of Polk Salad Annie, the hugely impressive Tony Joe White. Dual Carriageway Pain starts with a searing riff and a good punchy rock song follows. To avoid track listing, the whole album is a canny mix of acoustic, blues and almost rock songs that showed Rory's ability in all fields as well as pretty good support from Ritchie McKraken and John Wilson, playing a lovely snappy Rogers kit.

"On the Boards" followed this which was a real groundbreaker and featured the solo of solos on "What's going On?", as well as Rory's first foray into alto sax, because "nobody can make it sound how I want" he told me.

Taste is a very good debut from three young lads and shows that Rory was to become a major force, which he did. The new live DVDs available from Amazon remind us that he becaame arguably the most exciting player in a basic no effects, no peadls format. He was never ever boring and this CD is worth every penny.

Later he went on to record with Muddy in "The London Sessions" which for him was like meting God. For the record, his contributions to the album are light years ahead of all the other usual suspects. Even from the early days, Rory "got" the blues.

My son watches the DVDs all the time. He manges to resist Babyshambles, Maximo Park and all the others. There's hope.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Your Taste - they gave it freshborn back to You !, 5 Aug 2012
This review is from: Taste (Audio CD)
Taste made two studio albums and two live-albums . I have yet to enjoy the live-albums,
but both studios are an absolutely must for anyone enjoying rock or blues or rock-blues !

To be honest my judgement is based on a very well composed compilation of the 2 albums .
5 out of 9 from the first and 6 out of 10 from the second album .

Only recently have I heard the other numbers and I am looking forward, to listen closer to
them, but at least I can claim that each records contain over 50% numbers worth my highest
listener-recommendation . They are astonishing and even more fantastic when You consider
this group was only a trio and their singer (playing guitar, harmonica, saxofon and more)
Rory Gallagher was an amazing person who at the age of 21/22 wrote and recorded this bunch
of the finest blues-rock/rock-blues ever !

Actually You can't tell if the albums are rock-blues or blues-rock, because they manage to
fuse the two genres so well that they created a third genre I have nicknamed "Brusk" which
coincidentally means : brusque, curt, short and in scandinavian languages the tough tissue
(not the bones) which You normally do not/cannot eat . A suitable genre-name perhaps !?

The numbers I recommend are from the "Moving on"-compilation and in this ingenious order :

__________________________________________________________________________________________

Sugar Mama (3.) / I'm moving on (9.) / Same Old Story (7.)

(TASTE : TASTE)

If the Day Was Any Longer (4.) / Eat My Words (6.) / What's Going On (1.)

Railway & Gun (2.) / If I Don't Sing I'll Cry (8.) / Morning Sun (5.)

(TASTE : ON THE BOARDS)

Born On The Wrong Side Of Time (5.) / Leaving Blues (2.)

(TASTE : TASTE)

The original german LP-compilation is a masterstroke in composition of numbers,
perhaps better than the two albums original number-order ?
But again it's difficult to discuss "taste" and I grew up with this compilation so I maybe biased .
Give it a try, listen to the two albums 11 numbers in the order above, it works for me !

4.0 out of 5 stars Taste - Why is this album not better known?, 7 Aug 2009
Victor (Hull, England) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Taste (Audio CD)
I'd never heard of this album until it was recommended to me by Amazon after I purchased Paul Kossoff's 'Backstreet Crawler'. It was cheap and looked interesting so I thought I'd take a punt.

My first reaction was 'Wow, why haven't I heard of these people before?' The opener, Blister on the Moon', is a classic. Great blues/rock playing, much in the style of Cream. The rest of the album is equally magnificent, ending with a great version of 'I'm moving on'.

Musically a great outfit. The CD production might have been a little better; I don't think the tracks had been remastered, so the sound was a touch murky. A set of liner notes giving some details about the band would have been nice. But, for the price being asked, I can't really complain.

Now I'm off to get the rest of Taste and Rory Gallagher's back catalogue.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEBUT OF THE MASTER, 15 Mar 2009
G. KENNEY "The Crafty Fox" (Leicester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taste (Audio CD)
I first saw Rory Gallagher at the Il Rondo at the time of the release of this his first record and have never lost my love for the music of a great musician. His music was never pretentious but good gutsy blues, what his audience wanted. So if you get a bit down by todays so called rock bands put this on the turntable turn up the volume and go back to when you got what you paid for.BRILLIANT

4.0 out of 5 stars Impressive debut album, 27 Oct 2001
connoisseur (Wellington New Zealand) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taste (Audio CD)
Not only was Rory Gallagher a great guitar player but he was also a good songwriter. Too often noteworthy guitar players strut their stuff on what are really boring compositions (modern day examples being Steve Vai and Yngwie Malmsteen) but the material on this and the follow up album "On the Boards" is generally memorable in its own right. In all it sounds fresh and innovative, with plenty of variety from the quiet, reflective "Leaving Blues" (played acoustic style on electric guitar) to the savage powerful rythyms of "Sugar Mama" featuring some blistering guitar work.

3.0 out of 5 stars TASTY LICKS, 13 Jun 2009
Taste were a powerful trio,lead by the excellent Rory Gallagher on guitar
I remember when Polydor issued a sampler (Bombers was the title i seem to recall) i rushed home from school and the first thing i heard was by Taste and i was spellbound,how could a teenager from Co Donegal sound like a bluesman from the deep south of America?
Around the same time The Groundhogs were palying the same type of music,but Taste were in aclass of their own as this album so rightly proved "Sugar mama""Born on the wrong side of time" and "Same old story" all on the same album show how classy this album is.
Fling open the windows and doors and play"Catfish" at full Volume and give the neighbours a dose of the blues and prove that Taste are were Tasty!!

5.0 out of 5 stars review, 30 April 2013
This review is from: Taste (Audio CD)
I grew up with Taste, They were the best group at the time (still best) I know they were talking about reforming when Rory passed away. John Wilson (drummer) lived inthe sane town as myself at the time and I saw Rory go into his house one afternoon. Pity they never got back as hoped.

5.0 out of 5 stars great music, 31 May 2009
Paul Nuydens (belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Taste (Audio CD)
With Taste he laid the foudations for his
later solo career. Just great music from great musicians.

5.0 out of 5 stars Come Taste Taste., 9 July 2013
This was Rory Gallagher's band before he went solo:

Rory Gallagher - guitars, vocals, saxophone, harmonica
Richard McCracken - bass
John Wilson - drums

The problem with this band was that Wilson and McCracken, not appreciating that Gallagher was the band's main asset, tried to push the music in a different direction leading to the collapse of taste and the launch of a brilliant solo career for Gallagher with albums likeRory Gallagher, Deuce, Blueprint,Tattoo, up to Fresh Evidence and the posthumous Rory: Wheels Within Wheels. McCracken and Wilson were not totally left behind, however, they formed Stud with bass guitarist John Weider and future bass player, Jim Cregan, both formerly with Family; they produced two good albums Stud ~ Remastered and September, available on a 2:1 with the live album Goodbye on: September/Goodbye

This Taste debut shows that all of Rory Gallagher's musical sensibilities were already there at the outset. Some have expressed regret that Taste did not survive but I would argue that Rory's talents were better served in his solo band, where his musical partnership with the amazing Gerry McAvoy produced some amazing music, but that is another tale. This is a classic album of the genre.

ARRAY(0xa6675f54)

Taste
Taste by Taste (Audio CD - 2000)