4.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the vinyl, 6 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Ode To John Law (Audio CD)
This is my favourite Stone the Crows album (I have Ode to John Law, Teenage Licks and Ontinuous Performance on vinyl), with Danger Zone my all-time favourite by this group. My vinyl pressing is the German Polydor version. After ordering the (Repertoire) CD, I was quite eager to hear a crystal clear rendition of this album. However, I have been quite disappointed in the sound quality of the CD. Treble notes on some of the songs are so muted that you have to turn it up very loud to hear them at all, especially in the beginning of Ode to John Law, thereafter your ears are pounded when the song starts in earnest.
Another problem I have is with the change in the version of Danger Zone; the CD version is slightly more up tempo and less soulful (in my opinion) than the "original" vinyl version. Perhaps this reflects a mastering of the tapes in different countries, ie. perhaps a US release versus a European release.
Ontinuous Performance, also by Repertoire, on the other hand, remains absolutely true to the vinyl (that I own).
I wonder if any other listeners have noticed this - I have now ordered the River version of Ode to John Law to see how that sounds. This is not intended as a criticism of Repertoire records; I am sure their CD is true to the original, just not the original I own!

I have since received the River version and found it identical to the Repertoire...

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent album, 22 Mar. 2013
This review is from: Ode To John Law (Audio CD)
Needed this to replace my vinyl copy with CD, I'd forgotten how good this album was but it was far too expensive

Ode To John Law
Ode To John Law by Stone the Crows (Audio CD - 1999)