‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars The Greatest Live Album...ever!, 16 Feb. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Status Quo Live (Audio CD)
To see Status Quo at the height of their career was a privelage during the mid to late Seventies. This double CD does something that many Live albums fail to capture - it makes you feel as if you were at the concert even though you are aware that it is being played on a CD player... The set begins with a classic cover - Junior's Wailin' from the Ma Kelly's...album. Alan Lancaster's bass pumping the famous riff in the classic 'boogie woogie' style. The set continues with a number of the Quo's pre-Rockin' All Over The World greatest hits: Caroline, Roll Over Lay Down and In My Chair to name but three. Francis Rossi's humerous introductions to songs are included making this a great CD for casual and obsessive Quo fans alike. Alan Lancaster once stated that he would only play songs that had a "man's bass." Lancaster would find no fault with this CD then as every track includes his trademark style. The Quo have not surpassed this album yet...perhaps they never will.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE soundtrack to my youth, 21 Oct. 2004
Bonzo (Isle of Man) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Status Quo Live (Audio CD)
No other album brings back fonder memories of growing up for me than the fabulous Quo live. Though flawed in places with the odd missed chord, it just goes to prove they were human. This album was never bettered!
My vinyl copy is wrecked by abuse, so Ive just ordered the CD for some head down no nonsense mindless boogie as I drive. Cant wait to hear it again. My fave has gotta be 4500 times.
Just ace!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Quo rock!!!, 27 Aug. 2003
This review is from: Status Quo Live (Audio CD)
This cd has it all for Quo fans from before the 80's and is worth the cash for Forty Five Hundred Times alone...Gone are the days of 10 minute plus tracks but for those who listen to good old solid rock, with a bit of head shakin'and air guitar...this is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get That Balcony Movin', 21 May 2007
This review is from: Status Quo Live (Audio CD)
I was 13 and this was my first ever concert. Little was I too know how it would affect me even 30 odd years later when I only need to hear Jackie Lynton's intro to send shivers down my back. When it was first released in February 77 it wasn't off the turntable for months. From Junior's Wailing through to the classic version of 4500 times the album just oozes out classic Quo when they were at the height of their popularity. Every track is superb and the album just crackles with energy. If you don't own this-why not? I challenge anyone to listen to this without searching for their cardboard Telecaster.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what it's all about..., 10 Mar. 2011
D. S. Proffitt "the old rocker" (Southport, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live 2CD (Audio CD)
The ultimate live album from one of the best live rock bands in the world at the height of their career.

Recorded live at the Glasgow Apollo in 1976, this is Status Quo at their very best. And with a collection as good as this we can forgive Alan Lancaster's little mistake (getting the words to Bye Bye Johnny mixed up!).

The sound is a lot less polished than other live albums, due to the lack of overdubs, which can't be a bad thing. There is real energy, as Quo play some of their best loved tracks, including Forty Five Hundred Times, In My Chair, Rain, Big Fat Mama, Roll Over Lay Down, etc.

A wonderful piece of rock history. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guilty pleasure, 10 Mar. 2013
S. A. Gordon (Enfield, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Live 2CD (Audio CD)
It's been a long time but when I see the "Frantic Four" at Wembley on the 17th March 2013, it will be the first time I have seen them live since 1979. Status Quo were the first band that I really got into after I heard Rain. I just loved the Blue For You album - I still have my original, gatefold sleeve, vinyl copy. I just played it "again and again". At the time no one realised that this was going to be the end of an era - they never really were the same band again, except perhaps a glimmer with the Whatever You Want album. I moved on musically, but have always had a soft spot for Quo. So when there was a chance to see the original line up for one last time, I thought why not.
Quo Live is a testament to what a great live band they were at that time. This showcases a band at the top of their game before the egos got in the way. They were a real band, all receiving equal credit.
This is a powerful live live album with many fans favourites. Some of the tracks are better than the studio recorded ones and is one of the best live albums I have ever heard - it does make you feel that you are actually there.
I will be very surprised if next Sunday's gig can live up to this but we will see........
Update 24-03-13 - what can I say other than last Sunday's gig lived up to expectations and more. The Frantic Four were rejuvenated and superb!

5.0 out of 5 stars ". . . the Magnificent - STATUS QUOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!", 14 Oct. 2003
David Cranson (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
Wow!
I wish I'd been there. This is the next best thig tho'. The balcony bouncing up and down. The crowd bouncing up and down. The music bouncing up and down. The Quo bouncing up and down!
Loud, noisy, rock and roll. Wow! Highlights include the loooong "4500 times" and "RoadhBlues" (with "the bit" in it) I dunno whose idea the sea shanty thing was, it was truly inspired!
Other low-aways include . . . the whole thing! "Junior Wailing", "Backwater/Just Take Me", "Big Fat Mama", "Caroline". This is THE architypal live album. No nonsense, not mucking about, just getting down to it and blowing every one away.
Those were the days . . . so I'm told.
Play it loud - no . . . L O U D ! ! !

5.0 out of 5 stars Straightforward rock 'n roll., 16 Feb. 2003
fields21 "fields21" (Hoogerheide, Netherlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Status Quo Live (Audio CD)
In the mid-seventies I was a wee lad. My cousin, 10 years older than I am, had this album in his collection. Curious why he would spent some much time with his headphones on, I sneaked into his room & on with the headphones.
Years later, bored with hip hop hypes and wailing Retro mod bands filling every radio station I bought this album. This one does not bore. Whopping booging rockin music!This brings back those sunny seventies filled with Triumph motorbikes, Flake 99 (proper ones) etc. to me.
Apart from all this tear jerking sentiment, the album does provide the best of Quo, including many of their best hits. Recorded at the height of their popularity in their best line-up.
Any rockfan should have this, as Quo proves what can be done with three cords. Much and much better than anything with five or six chords. Uncomplicated straightforward rock'n'roll - a valuable lesson in entertainment to any starting band or listener....

5.0 out of 5 stars GREATEST LIVE ALBUM EVER RECORDED, 21 Feb. 2014
This review is from: Live 2CD (Audio CD)
Ok I will keep this short and sweet this is the GREATEST LIVE ALBUM EVER RECORDED that's it enough said

5.0 out of 5 stars Heads Down No Nonesense Mindless Boogie., 20 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Status Quo Live (Audio CD)
Although it's not as obvious as some contenders, I've always considered this one of the best live albums. It is an album that isn't too intellectual, that should just be listened to for enjoyment without thinking too deeply. That's not to say there aren't some fantastic tracks, because there certainly are. Forty Five Hundred Times stands out particularly for me. The real pleasure of this album is its simplicity and raw feel, bringing back happy memories of head-shaking, air guitar wielding, hedonstic evenings at Gaumonts and similar venues watching Status Quo. "Let's see that balcony moving".

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Status Quo Live
Status Quo Live by Status Quo (Audio CD - 2000)