• Play

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 February 2008
1991's PLAY album saw Squeeze signed up to Warner Bros and entering the final phase of their recording career (to date). It was another record full of clever lyrics and smart pop melodies, except this time around the cheerful matiness of early releases was jetissoned in favour of slick production and a more American sound.
PLAY is also Squeeze's darkest record by far (Cosi Fan Tutti a close second) and requires patience and repeated listens to fully understand what messers Difford & Tilbrook were aiming for.
Satisfied and Sunday Street were both lifted as singles - the former a mid-paced mood piece with a distinctly Beatlesque feel, the latter a catchy if rather forced take on English weekend life. But it's the album tracks that really lift PLAY onto the upper teirs of early 90's rock/pop.
Letting Go is a stunning jazz/pop song beautifully performed with a lovely Tilbrook vocal and a wonderfully emotive Difford lyric. Wicked & Cruel is a thundering and sarcastic ode to a soon-to-be X and House Of Love is a woozy piano driven stomper which could have been a single (but wasn't).
If you are looking for another Cool For Cats or Hourglass then this isnt the Squeeze CD for you. If you want a mature, adult orientated rock record with flashes of Beatles/Kinks brilliance then PLAY is well worth hunting down.
cw
on 4 September 2007
I've always liked Squeeze but didn't like this album on first listen as it is unlike anything else they've done.
I persevered with it because I had tickets to see them live and knew they'd be playing several tracks from the new album. I'm very pleased I did.
Play is one of my favourite albums by anybody ever but I think it needs a few listens to fall in love with it. I believe it's about to be reissued.
on 20 April 2007
Squeeze "Play" is a fantastically melodic and catchy album, due to lack of promotion it didn't spawn any hits didn't sell well so Reprise droped them (but you didn't promote them!!!) the initial stock of this cd on Reprise dried up leaving it quite a rare cd, now reissued by Wounded Bird, "Play" is one of my favorite Squeeze cd's stand out songs for me are Wicked and Cruel, Gone to the Dogs, House of Love, give it about three plays before you make up your mind, you wont be disappointed you'll be rewarded. Just for the record, Glenn's favorite Squeeze albums are Argy Bargy, East Side Story, Play and Some Fantastic Place.
on 7 November 2009
This is a great album, but is very unlike other Squeeze albums. The highspots for me are the neglected single Sunday Street and the vivid humourus imagery of Cupids Toy. Interestingly Glenn Tilbrook does not much like it, which is surprising. You will hear little of it at live shows by the rejuvintated Squeeze, who are well worth checking out when they next play
Can't believe how underrated this perfect collection of songs has been since its release.
The follow-up to the magnificent Frank, this is an album as good as anything by the Beatles, Steely Dan or Crowded House in their heydays. Yes, it really is that good.
Glenn Tilbrook's is the voice to the fore here, and what a voice. I've rarely heard him sing so well, so passionately.
I can't pick out favourites - The Day I Get Home, Wicked And Cruel, Cold Shoulder... all are magnificent, as are the others - and whenever I play PLAY I hear it as a peerless, seamless 'suite' of twelve wonderful songs by one of the handful of truly creative, melodic, lyrically ingenious bands to have come from these shores.
Beatles, Kinks, Squeeze...and the more I listen to Glenn, Chris and the boys, the more they seem a wonder to be treasured for as long as intelligent pop/rock music is heard, on a par with any group you could mention.

Squeeze: unique, brilliant, a great band. This is one of their very best.
on 19 January 2011
Although not commercially successful {on part due, again, even with a new record company, with lack of publicity}, this is one of Squeeze's finest, and remains one of Chris and Glenn's faves too. Catchy tunes have always been one of Squeezes' fortes and this album is choc full of them! The brilliant 'Sunday Street' and 'Wicked and Cruel' are well worth buying this album for alone, and my personal favourite 'The Truth' is just a masterpiece. I couldn't recommened this album highly enough, it has to be one of my favourite all-time albums {granted most of which are Squeeze ones anyway, with a few Blondie ones too}!
on 28 February 2011
So far I've not disliked anything that Squeeze have produced, although for me this is one of my least favourite albums. That isn't necessarily a bad thing and in no way am I suggesting this is a bad album - it just simply goes to show how good Squeeze are at producing quality music. It is a testament to the band if fans can disagree on what their best albums are. I would agree with the other reviewers who suggest playing the album a few times for it to start growing on you. It is much more mellow than their previous material and has more of a 90s feel about it, which at least shows that Squeeze were able to move with the times. It is an easy album to listen to and shows a more softer side to the band. However it isn't so much to my taste compared to other Squeeze material. For me their best work was done in the late 70s and early to mid 80s. Obviously a must for any Squeeze fan, but if I was to showcase Squeeze to anyone unfamiliar with their music, I probably wouldn't choose this album.
on 31 March 2016
Marvellous
on 18 March 2014
After acquiring the cassette of this album some years ago I decided to buy a digital version. The cd seemed expensive so I opted for a download to put on my Ipod. It sounds as good as ever.
on 7 December 2014
Bit disappointed but Squeeze were such a good band.