4.0 out of 5 stars When Sparks became a band again to try to break the States.
Published on 23 Jun 2008 by M. Speeding

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawless and loveless, no intimacy
Published 5 months ago by Tim

4.0 out of 5 stars When Sparks became a band again to try to break the States., 23 Jun 2008
M. Speeding (Consett) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whomp That Sucker (Audio CD)
After the mild disappointment of Terminal Jive and the overbearing involvement of Georgio Moroder compatriat Harold Faltermeyer, Sparks enlisted the help of German producer Mack, recruited new musicians, reintroduced guitar, bass and drums,and stripped their sound back to a raw edge that had not been heard since Big Beat in 1976. The songs on this album are an absolute joy to listen to. The lyrics are very clever and witty, and I have never been embarrassed to listen to this album unlike another reviewer.

Funny Face is actually my least favourite track on the album. Stand out tracks for me are Don't Shoot Me, I Married a Martian and Wacky Women.
Do yourself a favour and buy this CD. It is a very worthy part of Sparks' amazing 21 album output.

4.0 out of 5 stars Underated Sparks album!, 21 Sep 2009
This review is from: Whomp That Sucker (Audio CD)
The eighties output of the Mael brothers is much maligned by fans, but, although much of it doesn't match the splendour of the Island years or have the inventiveness of their more recent releases, there is still much to cherish.

Whomp is more poppier than some of their earlier albums and contains some fantastic songs. "Where's My Girl" and "I Married A Martian" are the highlights for me.

The band sound sharp and Russell's voice, as ever, is on excellent form.

3.0 out of 5 stars Flawless and loveless, no intimacy, 30 Jan 2014
Tim "Tim" (Belfast, Northern Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Whomp That Sucker (Audio CD)
It's easy to forget that Sparks' hugely influential (and commercially successful) Giorgio Moroder-helmed 'disco' era only consisted of two albums in just over a year. At the start of the '80s, the Mael brothers reverted back to a more rock approach similar to a lot of the popular American new wave music of the time such as DEVO and Oingo Boingo. As Sparks could be credited with inventing the new wave sound with some of their work in the '70s (particularly with the pre-glam LPs), it felt more like the rest of the world was catching up rather than Sparks latching onto a popular style of the time. The move produced some great work and Whomp That Sucker stands up well in their huge discography. The hilarious and clever singles Tips For Teens and Funny Face give the album an amazing opening 1-2 and although nothing else on the album reaches the giddy heights of these first two tracks, it's still a definite improvement on the previous album. The lyrics on this and the next couple of records are a bit sillier than what went before (as if Sparks were trying to appeal to a teenage audience) but that's not really a complaint. Fun with a capital F.

4.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten gem - Sparks never lost their spark, 20 Nov 2012
This review is from: Whomp That Sucker (Audio CD)
been a on/ occasionally off fan for 40 years but have really enjoyed dipping in to their back catalogue and you know I really like this album. Its got the zany, off the wall clever lyrics and always interests, never a dull moment. Really recommend this album and if you get the chance see them live and you'll see why they still can produce albums when most of their contempories are long gone

2.0 out of 5 stars WELL AND TRULY WHOMPED, 22 Jun 2008
This review is from: Whomp That Sucker (Audio CD)
There are many really great Sparks albums but, sorry fans, this isn't one of them. IMO this falls near the bottom of their meritorius 21 album pile (although I admit there are couple I've not heard). Despite the reintroduction of a band format, the arrangements are lightweight and fail to lift a set of songs where even the dependable Mael wit is at a lower ebb (for them). Propagnada it ain't!
My affection for ths album is tarnished by my memory of my girlfriend at the time surprising me with this as a present as she knew I loved Sparks..... But I recall how she cringed when we played it and I have to say that I largely empathised.
Seeing this advertised on Amazon, I dragged out my vinyl copy for the first time in nearly 25 years with a view to listening again without her prejudice. I confess, it was better than I remembered but overall my opinion hasn't much changed. I will usually defends these boys' talent to merit five stars for just existing but IMHO this one is for Sparks' completists only.

Whomp That Sucker
Whomp That Sucker by Sparks (Audio CD)