5.0 out of 5 stars THE MUSIC GOES ON AND ON!
Published on 22 Dec 1999 by Allan Wright

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland
I used to have all their albums on vinyl and Novella was the one that made me lose interest in the band, at least for a while. The songs are ok but the arrangements are bland, with none of exitement of most of their earlier and later stuff. It serves well as background music, as it very non-intrusive.

As an aside, Annie's voice on this album reminds me of...
Published 8 months ago by Kev

5.0 out of 5 stars THE MUSIC GOES ON AND ON!, 22 Dec 1999
Allan Wright (ELLON, Aberdeenshire Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)
One of the great tragedies of Brit pop over the past quarter century is that Renaissance didn't get the status and following in these Isles that their music deserved. For once, Stateside audiences recognised and appreciated what must be about THE most melodic and beautiful band ever to come out of the UK whilst we Brits chose to largely overlook them. Have no doubt: Renaissance are up there with Yes, Pink Floyd, Genesis, Moody Blues and (dare I say)the Beatles, in terms of musical creativity.
Can You Hear Me and Midas Man are the two outstanding numbers. Annie Haslam's classically honed vocals, complimented by the band's Classical Rock style of music,have you drifting between orchestral type scores and bloody good rock! The mark of a superb band or album is that, when you listen to it, the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. After 25 years of Renaissance it still happens to me. May their music live for ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars The perfect melding of Classical and Pop Music, 11 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)
This is one truly wonderful album. It forces you to sit and actually listen to the music. So many levels and Annie Haslam's superb voice make this a must have album. I agree with the previous comment. Renaissance have been sadly neglected over the years but it is good that we can still get our hands on their music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful stuff, 5 Mar 2003
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)
When this first came out it was advertised on Capital Radio by Alan Freeman. I was struck instantly by the short soundbites of the add and had to find the album. Since then I have purchased it four times, three vinyl versions and a recent transcribed CD version from Japan. What I would really like is an original high quality remastered copy from the original tapes! I hope this version fits that bill!
The opening track is outstanding with its oh so quiet beginning followed by the sudden surge of drum vocal and orchestra returning in seconds to te quiet simple keyboard and accoustic guitar section only for the change to happen again. Vinyl does this justice but the CD is still somewhat lacking in dynamics (I think it was created by playing vinyl on a quite good system no doubt and creating a master from that) vinyl on a good system really sounds excellent!
As is to be expected this album follows on where previous albums left off. All the tracks here are fantastic. The words, the singing, the musicianship. I can't fault it at all! No doubt I'll be buying a new copy here again real soon!

5.0 out of 5 stars Rediscovered Gem - 25 yrs later!, 10 May 2004
Mr Pickwick (Manchester - UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)
I originally heard this album as a callow youth in 1977, when it was playing at my first lovers flat. I was entranced with the melodious voice of Annie Haslam, and the harmonics of “Can You Hear Me” which has a fantastic introduction.
25 years, on and that lover is long gone, but I found this music again purely by chance last year and have played it endlessly since.
Purists might argue that the vinyl versions were better, but this CD gives a fair rendition.
Listen carefully for the different influences, including some of the Russian composers.
My particular favourites are “The Sisters” and “Midas Man”
This music BEGS to be listened too, and need to be heard at a fair level of volume!
Enjoy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Best sounding version, 11 Jun 2013
Richard R. DiPuma (Seaford, New York, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)
Recording engineer Eroc does the best post production bringing out the sound the way was meant to be heard.
Forget all other versions of Renaissance this is the real deal.

5.0 out of 5 stars genius, 5 May 2008
F. Clare "herm" (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)
has there ever been an album which covers so many genres in one go? prog rock, opera, classical, etc.this is the best album ever for sitting down and shutting out the world to. simply superb and a must for the collections of anyone who claims to like music. by musicians and writers with talent we all wish we had.

4.0 out of 5 stars Baroque splendour, 17 Mar 2004
Andy Millward (Tiptree, Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)
Actually, I own the vinyl rather than CD, but it still gets the occasional airing. The baroque splendour of Renaissence is classical in style and by metaphor (see my review of Scheherazade), though the longeurs of some tracks may put off buyers more used to the 3-minute single.
But stay with it - the nine-and-a-half minutes of Touching Once (is so hard to keep) brings not only a fine and subtle melody, sensitive lyrics and even some excellent sax. While some songs fade in the memory, that is one track vividly imprinted in my memory from the first time I heard it - a rare achievement.

3.0 out of 5 stars Bland, 15 Jan 2014
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)

As an aside, Annie's voice on this album reminds me of Kathy Kirby.

5.0 out of 5 stars Annie Haslam, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)
What a fantastic voice. Just great to be able to reminisce with sounds from the 70's, in 'modern' CD format.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 years on..., 7 July 2007
Mark C. (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Novella (Audio CD)
Hey Warner-its time to remaster and put out a value added disc of this-
Repertoire did this in 2006 with their catalog, and the sound is stunning.
also, is that glitter I see in the RENAISSANCE logo? Just like the UK LP way back