5.0 out of 5 stars Classic
It's difficult to write words to try sum up how good music is! None more so than when trying to review this album:

Everything is here - beautiful tunes (Heaven) moving lyrics (Sing a Song of Love to Me, The Mention of Your Name) immaculate, gob-smackingly good production, and of course, Chris Rea!

If it could be said that the theme of Road To Hell...
Published on 12 Jun 2006 by Mark Wills

3.0 out of 5 stars found the song I've been searching for
There is an awesome song by Chris Rea called 'Gone Fishing' which isn't on i-tunes. I have been searching for the song for a while and after some research discovered it was on this album. So I sucked it up and spent £3.74 (worth it for the song) on the CD. Other than 'Auberge' none of the other songs really hit the heights of Chris Rea at his best, hence three stars.
Published 4 months ago by Gareth

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic, 12 Jun 2006
Mark Wills (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Auberge (Audio CD)

If it could be said that the theme of Road To Hell was anger or frustration of the world, I would venture that Auberge sees a continuation of that theme, though in more understated way.

While the lyrics in Road To Hell directly explore the state of the world we live in, lyrically Auberge explores simply getting away from it all, escape from the rat race, freedom. Again, like Road to Hell, the song titles are a give away:

Gone Fishing

You're Not a Number

Heaven (Happy? You bet I am! Holding onto this smile for just as long as I can)

Set Me Free

Looking for Summer (Remember Love how it was the same? We scratched and heard each others growing pains)

We also hear, like Road To Hell, a harking to the 'delta' sound, that Rea explores so eloquently later on with albums like Dancing Down The Stoney Road (You're Not a Number)

The song ends with a moving tribute to Chris' late mother: The Mention of Your Name. If it fails to move you, check your pulse. It's worth repeating some of lyrics here in an effort to divulge the depth, beauty, and astonishing honesty in the lyrics, where Chris lays his heart out for all of us to see:

Time goes by,

And every single tear it must have well run dry

And the lonely nights become a strange accepted way.

And the years go past...

Just like the old song says, the pain with time has healed

It could not last.

But oh a friend, like a fool mentions your name...

Sunny days, drunken nights, you smile and say it's all right,

But oh the cold, cold rain, at the mention of your name...

Forgive me please, if I shrug my shoulders when I put my friends at ease, as I get older.

It's not that I don't feel colder than before.

Oh I've become so good at hiding what I feel without confiding,

It's still the same, darling still the same,

At the mention of your name...

A truly fabulous album, that deserves it's place in British album history, alongside others such as Brothers In Arms or Rumours. Truly inspired. An investment. Make no mistake. Thanks for reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best, 24 Jun 2005
Ms F C Bishop (Isleworth, Middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Auberge (Audio CD)
Years ago a colleague said "Auberge" was Chris Rea's best album, and on the strength of that recommendation I bought it. He was right about that, though I'd add that if it's Chris Rea's best album, then that makes it the world's best album.... such is my regard for this artist's work.
It's one of a handful of albums I know where nothing's out of place. Each number is strong, and they fit together well. I don't want to fast-forward anywhere. He shows incredible versatility - from the incandescent, yearning, bluesy "Set me free" to the enigmatic "Looking for the Summer" to the A-list torch song "The Mention of Your Name". There's a simplicity about these songs that speaks directly to the heart, while engaging the mind too. The arrangements are simple and powerful, the sound quality excellent.
Whenever I set off to drive a long journey, I pop in "Auberge" - it couldn't be better. By the time I hit the motorway, "Heaven" is playing - ah, the romance of the open road!
That's what I love about Chris Rea of the late 80s/early 90s - that sense of being focussed on what's beyond the next hill, while also understanding that wanderlust has a pathology all of it's own; the tension between the two is played for all it's worth.
Oh, and the slide guitar is pretty damned hot!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chris Rea at his very best - astounding!, 28 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Auberge (Audio CD)
This album never dissapoints no matter how many times I listen to it. It's almost too good for words, and is by far the best album in my wide ranging collection. If you like Rea's music this is an absolute must have, if you've never really listened to Chris Rea, this is the album that will get you hooked. Either way you won't be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars A number 1 album all round, 3 Mar 2003
This review is from: Auberge (Audio CD)
This album followed Road to hell and is a change in style to one Rea kept through the 90's.
The title track is very catchy after a lengthy intro. The brass tunes and great lyrics make it the top 20 hit it was.
Gone fishin' is moving song, especially the lyrics.
You're not a number and Every second counts are lively songs, contrasting with the mellow Heaven and Sing a song of love to me.
Winter song and looking for the summer were also singles from this album and they are good.
The final two tracks slow down the pace and the mood for some great evening music.
This platinum selling album is a must to any Rea fan, or fan of 90's music

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Listening, 28 Dec 2013
This review is from: Auberge (Audio CD)
Chris Rea has always been a favourate, this album was the one missing from my collection. Loved every note. Great to listen to when driving a boring motorway.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart and Soul, and what a dreamers cover., 26 Dec 2013
This review is from: Auberge (Audio CD)
From the urgent starter motor, all to the end, it is pure pleasure. If you are a petrol head, it helps. We are all dreamers, after all.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely Brilliant Album -, 18 July 2004
This review is from: Auberge (Audio CD)
This album is fantastic - could listen to it all the time - everyone should buy it and cheer themselves up - Chris Rea is a true musician - His styles change with the times. One of HIS BEST ALBUMS TO DATE - The only one I don't like is ROAD TO HELL II.
HE LOST HIS WAY A LITTLE.

5.0 out of 5 stars Evocative, spine tingling - Rea at his best, 28 Aug 2001
Colin Ellis "Bookworm" (West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Auberge (Audio CD)
From the opening bars it is clear this is going to be a classic Rea album. The combination of Chris' gravelly voice & superb lyrics makes this an album that will not disappoint. A Rea fan for many years this is one of my favourite albums. Highly recommended!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Not QUITE Five Star Rea, 7 Oct 2014
This review is from: Auberge (Audio CD)
Personally, I would not rate "Auberge" as one of Chris Rea's all time greats, but it still ranks as an enormously satisfying piece of work that sits very easily on the ear. It features the usual trademark Rea playing and production (extremely high standard), but for me it loses a star because I'm not quite as sold on a couple of the songs as I might have been.
Still, all round, a quality piece of work and a really good listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Replacing a much loved album from the early nineties., 19 Jun 2014
This review is from: Auberge (Audio CD)
Looking to replace an album, (originally on cassette), that was played almost every day in my car, this was chosen from Amazon. The price was good, the condition new, and delivery service excellent, (though I paid the standard rate the CD arrived the following day). Nothing could be faulted, and therefore it receives five stars.

Auberge
Auberge by Chris Rea (Audio CD - 1994)