5.0 out of 5 stars His Best Album, 10 Oct 2003
David Cranson (Birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Night Owl (Audio CD)
Although "Baker Street" (which appears on City to City) is his most famous song, for me this is his best all-round album. There really isn't anything which could be thought of as filler, anywhere from start to finish.
Starting off with "Days Gone Down" and moving seemlessly to "It's Gonna Be A Long Night" it's a constantly high standard for 50 minutes or so. These 2 tracks offer all that is best from Gerry Rafferty, great melody, great arragement, great lyrics.
Add to that a fine backing band which includes the backing vocals of Barbara Dickson on 3 tracks, the sax of Raphael Ravenscroft on 4 tracks, plus Richard & Linda Thompson showing up here and there and some great guitar from Hugh Burns & Richard Brunton. It is no surprise that things come out so wonderfully . . .
The classics just roll off the tongue - "Already Gone", "Why Won't You Talk To Me" (Brilliant!), "Get It Right Next Time" (man, even typing this makes me smile!), "Already Gone" and the souring sax of RR on "The Tourist".
A sure-fire classic from someone who is now sadly ignored by those who should know better.
Just buy it - you will never stop thanking yourself(!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant............as usual, 10 Dec 2010
Barry Spall (Essex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Night Owl (Audio CD)
Gerry Rafferty is/was in a class of his own. As with the three Stealers Wheel albums and Gerry's City to City album, there is not a duff track in sight.
Essential music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 18 Nov 2011
This review is from: Night Owl (MP3 Download)
Night Owl

Awww I sooo love this album, I'm saying album as I also have it on vinyl from many years ago. He's sadly gone now, the wonderful Gerry Rafferty but his songs will live on forever. Songs like Baker Street which was one of my all time favourites. I have that as a single on vinyl too!!! Oh those were the days eh? I got this single for a party I was having and it was played many times over that night, and many many more at other times, till I nearly wore it out.

If you liked Gerry, you'll love this. It's so good to have it on CD and Mp3 now too, so we can enjoy this wonderful artist all over again, in the car...anywhere in fact! Listening to this stirs up such wonderful memories of very happy times. Can't recommend it enough! Buy it now! I got this in mp3, downloaded no problem, and Amazon is far cheaper than itunes for downloads in any genre! Keep it up Amazon. I wouldn't consider itunes now for downloads. I learned the hard way I'm afraid and cost myself a fortune for lot's of music from times gone by. Amazon only now! lol!

Night Owl
Night Owl by Gerry Rafferty (Audio CD - 1987)