5.0 out of 5 stars The older stuff made me fall in love again
Published on 2 Dec 2000

2.0 out of 5 stars Pulp Back Catalogue
Very average at best, record company milking in on previously released flops and album tracks - like 1 or 2 and at least I now have the full Pulp discography.
Published 8 months ago by Wazzer

5.0 out of 5 stars The older stuff made me fall in love again, 2 Dec 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Countdown 1992-1983 (Audio CD)
I once borrowed a taped compilation of PULP from a good friend of mine. It grew on me, took over me, I was now a PULP fan. I couldn't justify owning one 90 tape so I bought several PULP albums (all that I could find) including Countdown 1992/1983 simply because it included a small hand full of tracks from my 90 tape, (And it was pretty cheap too). I knew what to expect from His 'n'Hers, Different Class and This is Hardcore but the suprise gem of my collection was this compilation. It was only after several listens that I realised just how much I loved their older stuff as much as the other, more commercial successes above.
The best way to desribe much of Countdown 1992/1983 would be hauntingly catchy. However, this will not appeal to all PULP fans but at the very least it is a very enjoyable trip back in time to see how PULP developed their unique style. (The CD also comes with an enjoyable booklet covering a brief history surrounding the early days of PULP).

5.0 out of 5 stars The Mark Of The Devil, 23 Jun 2011
Rooksby (United KIngdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Countdown, 1992-1983 (Audio CD)
I missed out on these early Pulp recordings at the time, my intro to them being (yep) Intro, Island's compilation of the band's run of terrific singles for the Gift label (a short lived Warp Records subsidiary). As great as Intro is - & it's a CD I still frequently return to - this generous 2 disc round-up of their earlier material is (possibly) even better.

Pulp recorded 4 albums & a handful of singles in the decade spanning 1983 & 1992, all of which were released to barely a flicker of interest from the record buying public (me included, I'm sorry to say) at the time. In retrospect, unfairly neglected songs like "My Legendary Lighthouse", "Countdown", "Little Girl (With Blue Eyes)", "She's Dead" & "The Mark Of The Devil" are the equal of just about anything on their breakthrough LP, 1994's marvelous His 'N' Hers.

Essentially, if you're a Pulp fan who has yet to hear these pre-fame recordings, you'd be daft not to buy this thorough, cheaply priced collection, OK?

4.0 out of 5 stars Introducing the talent of Pulp..., 18 May 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Countdown 1992-1983 (Audio CD)
A mixture of their first four albums into one, with a superb version of the title track "Countdown". Can think of it as the Best of Pulp part 1. Since their best work is done later on in their latest albums. If you have never listened to Pulp before, this may be the one to start off with. But if you are a fan of Pulp, there is not enough materials for you in this album, ought to get all the first four albums- "It", "Freaks", "Separation" and "Masters of the Universe", in order to have the complete satisfaction. It contains songs with intelligent tunes and lyrics, but lighter and not as deep as "This is Hardcore" and "Different Class". An album you can listen to over and over again without getting bored. Definately values for money, by it and you won't be disappointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Pulp Back Catalogue, 2 April 2014

4.0 out of 5 stars PULP UNDERGROUND, 17 May 2013
This review is from: Countdown, 1992-1983 (Audio CD)
NOT THE BEST NUMBERS THEY HAVE MADE BUT MANY OF THEM ARE FULL OF CHARM AND A FAN WOULD ENJOY THE NUMBERS

Countdown, 1992-1983
Countdown, 1992-1983 by Pulp (Audio CD - 1996)