The Phantom Of The Opera (Original Canadian Cast)
Format: Audio CDChange
Price:£14.47+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 15 June 2011
I cannot believe the previous customer review I read, I only actually saw it because I was about to order another CD, after the many I have all ready given as gifts to my friends!
I saw this show many many moons ago in Canada and have NEVER EVER heard anyone singing the Phantom as beautifully and poignantly as Colm Wilkinson - absolutely devastatingly haunting and unforgettable!
This is a fabulous buy and you will enjoy it forever, believe me.
on 10 December 2013
As a long time phan of Phantom, I was pleased to add this to my collection. I think it's a must for all admirers of the show. The lovely Rebecca Caine is just astounding in the part of Christine! I wish it was a full cast recording and not just highlights. There are a few more tracks on YouTube.I have been an admirer of Miss Caine since I saw her in My Fair Lady back in the 80's. She created the role of Cosette in Les Mis. Her cadenza in Think of Me is just-the best!
on 19 February 2013
Saw this cast in Toronto when originally done. Big fan of Colm wilkinson! Saw him recently in Les Miserables in the cinema. Good memories. Got the cassette originally so great to get the cd.
on 21 September 2007
I'm guessing you're reading this because you know and like Phantom of the Opera, so I won't bother talking about the musical itself. Furthermore, if you're looking at a US import of the soundtrack, the obvious thing to talk about is the cast.

I'm aware of 4 English Phantom recordings - the original London recording (Sarah Brightman), the movie one (Emmy Rossum), a early 90s one (not sure why it was done, but comes under different covers, Claire Moore), and this Canadian recording (Rebecca Caine)

As far as Christines go, this Canadian one is easily the best if you're looking for technical ability. Rebecca Caine took over from Sarah Brightman in London before opening the show in Canada, and I guess they recorded it because she is so good. She hits notes rather than slides into them, and has amazing control. Absolutely beautiful, her cadenza on Think of Me is lovely.

The Phantom is completely different to the other recordings, and kind of speaks as much as he sings, and is a little sinister... Takes a bit of getting used to, and if you're looking for a good male singer, you may want to try another version (I'd recommend Claire Moore's as she's prob 2nd best Christine and you can pick it up cheap).

Finally, this @highlights@ recording includes more music than the other ones, so good value for money.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...