5.0 out of 5 stars Another Ace piece of work again from the Master.
This album is in a class of it's own.A superbly mastered album that you can play over & over again without getting bored. There's a natural feel of the 'CELTS'to it.Women of Ireland is my favourite track for which you can visualise yourself , strolling along the' Connemara Coast',which is breathtaking, just like the album.
Published on 22 April 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars ok but nothing special
Bought this recently - played it - first track quite pleasant, 2nd track similar, 3rd track more of the same...

And that is the problem with this album, each track in isolation is perfectly acceptable and would be fine on any other Mike Oldfield album surrounded by different tracks. The problem is that after three or four tracks it starts to sound very samey -...
Published on 6 Oct 2010 by hawk

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice compilation., 19 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
What I paid was what I got. I didn't expect nothing else, to be honest. Nice album of great author.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Voyager a haunting pleasure., 1 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
I wasn't sure if I was going to like this as I much prefer Mike's earlier work but I was pleasantly surprised, I loved it. The music is superb and after listening to it every day since purchased, my enjoyment has continued to increase.
I thoroughly recommend The Voyager to anyone who enjoys Mike Oldfield's more haunting music.
Linda

5.0 out of 5 stars Great music, 13 Oct 2013
Sean "Sean" (Glasgow Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
This is a great album for relaxing and chilling out to. It Celtic theme makes you feel relaxed and laid back.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 18 Aug 2013
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
great music in Mike Oldfields great love of pleasing the public with his great type of rendition and very easy listening

5.0 out of 5 stars the voyger, 12 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
mike at his best, his first and only celtic themed cd, his music never ages, would recomend it to all oldfield fans

5.0 out of 5 stars great oldfield, 21 Oct 2012
Trevor D. Farthing "farthings" (rugby uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
this is a must for all oldfield fans, he is at his best on this album and does take you on a voyage,fantastic mike

4.0 out of 5 stars Bagpipes!, 14 Sep 2012
Tim Kidner "Hucklebrook Hound" (Salisbury, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
I've got nothing against bagpipes, per se, but let's just say that they're not my favourite instrument! By being a 'celtic' album, it's natural they're going to feature, I suppose...I also found the album a little disappointing as the best tracks - i.e. the ones I like most, were already on a compilation I already own (Essential XXV).

However, the final track Mont of St Michel is a great fusion of everything that Oldfield does well - big, orchestral and magnificent, with lots of interesting instruments.

Women Of Ireland is the track that stands out and understandably is on his best-of's, but I was disappointed with his rendition of the traditional She Moves Through the Fair, seeming a little insipid.

No album of Mike's is bad of course and maybe I was expecting too much and I just don't see myself playing it much, especially compared to his stronger offerings.

5.0 out of 5 stars The voyager, 17 April 2012
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
If you like mike oldfield (or,anything simular) you'll love this!!My father who is now in his 80's bought this cd many many moons ago.....I liked it then as much as i like it now!! i don't believe you are ever too old to hear and really enjoy this!! It's brilliant and I never tire of it..i bought it off of amazon recently for a mere couple of pound second hand,the pleasure from it is priceless.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 22 Dec 2009
K. Hosier "Jim's Kath" (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
Great to really listen to and as background music - a favourite with our guests as well as ourselves.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful., 15 Feb 2010
Mr. O. George "Lamentes" (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Voyager (Audio CD)
I feel compelled to write my review because i have read some absoloutly scathing reviews which are simply wrong. The person who gave this 1 star obviously has no patience in his musical understanding.

Dispelling the myths about this album:

"This album is not tubular bells".
Hmmm maybe thats because musicians advance and to produce a clone of tubular bells would have been sacrilege! (tub. 2 doesn't count.

"Its trance relaxing stuff."
In some ways it is, but this isn't the awful panpipe music thats played in doctors. This is truly ulifting and beautifully haunting music which whilst relaxing at times is definitly not boring and to hold this fact against the album is ridiculous.

"Don't buy this if you like Mike's older stuff"
I bought this because i love Tubular Bells and i must say it is played more these days. It is truly a worthy sucessor and one of the best albums of the 1990s.

"Its boring."
Grow some patience.

Well, those are just a few things i've read as criticism. I can assure you this album is fantastic and a worthy buy at any price! Enjoy!

ARRAY(0xb4d95648)

The Voyager
The Voyager by Mike Oldfield (Audio CD - 1996)