5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning. Really really amazing!
I have a knack for buying cds by artist Ive never heard of, which sometimes pays off and occasionally doesnt. This time however, I really struck gold, and it more than compensates for the odd turkey I get!
The music is etherial in its simplicity, the songs themselves are strangely powerful despite avoiding big noise and vocal acrobatics favoured by some artists,...
Published on 22 April 2002

3.0 out of 5 stars Stina Nordenstam
I bought this as Amazon recommended it after I'd purchased some other artists albums. The album is certainly well produced but Stina's voice sounds immensly fragile. I don't dislike it but I'm still waiting for it to grow on me.
Published 11 months ago by Geoff Bee

5.0 out of 5 stars A truly original talent, 5 Nov 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: And She Closed Her Eyes (Audio CD)
I rarely buy CDs until I have heard a least a few of the tracks and am sure I will like it. This was an exception. I bought it based solely on the reviews on Amazon and the other artists with whom Stina seemed to be linked. The hunch paid off - it is brilliant! The fragilist of voices - little more than a whisper at times. Superbly under-stated and atmospheric accompaniment. Superb, and impossible to classify. You just have to listen to it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Easily her best work, 4 July 2003
A. Smith "Adamsez" (London, England United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And She Closed Her Eyes (Audio CD)
Having listened to this off and on since its release, and everything else Stina's done, I can only urge you to do yourself a mid-price favour without further ado. It rewards the musical ear anew with every listening, which is all the more remarkable for Stina's spare arrangements. There's not a duff track on it, either. You'll want to investigate more of Stina's when you've heard it but in my opinion only two subsequent songs (People Are Strange, Sharon and Hope) are worth the search. If you want to stay with the Nordic vibe, track down a copy of Purr by the Swedish female soloist Cam instead, and pay whatever you have to.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am hopefully yours, 17 Jan 2008
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: And She Closed Her Eyes (Audio CD)
Until Emiliana Torrini finally comes out with another album, one of the artists I will have to listen to is Stina Nordenstam.

And the Swedish singer's second album is a beautiful, delicate wisp that has aged incredibly well. "And She Closed Her Eyes" is filled with her fragile voice and hesitant trip-hop, as well as the wistful sounds of bittersweet breakups and endangered love.

"It takes you no time/You just follow the bridge/Indian summer evening/Let the shadows backslide" Nordenstam sings wistfully over cycling guitars, describing the feelings of one-third of a love triangle. "I'm a true believer/And no lover of starshine/I know where this is leading/This is my last chance..."

It continues with the ethereal, saxophone-edged "Viewed From the Spire," all about love that ends with death. And the album trickles into a series of similar songs -- catchy folkpop, ethereal little trippy ballads, the shimmering jazz-edged "Little Star," haunting ambient folk laced with sea-sounds, uneasy trip-hop. It ends with the heartbreaking title track -- and when the guitars end, there's only the sound of rain.

Most albums about broken hearts and broken love affairs are pretty angry -- the artists use them for catharsis when someone done them wrong. But "And She Closed Her Eyes" is a different kind of breakup album -- this is about the bittersweet pessimism of breaking up, the love that died, or the painful little heartache when you see your love with someone else. Trust me, I know.

That bittersweetness is printed all over these songs. Sure, a couple are about love-related deaths, but most are about goodbyes. And her delicate, simple lyrics sum up the feelings of goodbyes ("whatever made me glow, it's gone now/But I pretend I'm having it still") or the sorrow of what hasn't been said at all ("Little star/So you had to go/You must have wanted him to know... Poor little thing...").

And their beautiful fragility is only enhanced by Nordenstam's voice -- she has a sort of childlike, slightly creaky voice, though she does a gorgeous Latin chorus in "Little Star". And her music is a mix of gentle folk and dream-pop, with some soft synth woven in there -- the only jarring note is the saxophone, which sounds like something from a soap-opera commercial.

Regrets, lost love and love that has run its course -- that is "And She Closed Her Eyes," an exquisite little collection of trip-folk gems. But if you've lost at love recently, keep tissues near.

4.0 out of 5 stars unique sound, very different, 27 Jan 2013
dan (north ayrshire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And She Closed Her Eyes (Audio CD)
This is different, that's for sure. A child-like vocal simplicity, almost a plaintive whisper, combines with reasonably simple harmonies to create something quite unlike anything else. So you are sure to get something original sounding here. There are some lovely background vocal harmonies, and lots of authentic sounding musical instrumentation. It is an album of quiet songs, expect no rock-pop. I think the lead vocal sound, while original and distinctive, lacks the beauty of real depth and harmony that could make this a 5 star album, and the songs are not engaging enough for a top award. Definitely worth 4 though.

5.0 out of 5 stars And She Closed Her Eyes, 10 Nov 2012
This review is from: And She Closed Her Eyes (Audio CD)
I had this album a few years back but lost it in transit while moving house, but having heard the first track recently on u tube i knew i had to own a copy again.
The music is wonderful , Stina has such a fragile but beautiful voice which seems to fit in perfectly with the guitar and woodwind on this album. The song styles are a sort of cross between jazz and folk with lovely harmonies and melodies interspersed and there is a mystery and a depth to each song which shines through.

If you are looking for a relaxing and very satisfying album with not one duff song on it, then this is the one i would recommend to you .
Its flavour is spiritual and mysterious and lovely all rolled into one.

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic., 27 Dec 2010
M. A. Nicholson (london) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And She Closed Her Eyes (Audio CD)
I'm not a musicologist so I won't dazzle you with an impeccable and in depth review of this record. All I know is that it's brilliant, timeless and somewhat unique. I've had this since it was originally released and had to replace a lost copy, the songs are permanently etched into my branium. Worth every penny 100 times over.

3.0 out of 5 stars Stina Nordenstam, 28 Aug 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars CD, 3 Mar 2010
This review is from: And She Closed Her Eyes (Audio CD)
Excellent price as well as the condition of the CD. thank you for it rely enjoyed.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 STARS WOULD BE MORE ACCURATE, 6 Mar 2004
This review is from: And She Closed Her Eyes (Audio CD)
If you are looking for the best album EVER made, by ANYONE, then this may well be it. Need I say more.
love Sam

2.0 out of 5 stars Where is the voice?, 17 Jan 2008
NiceOneNicky (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: And She Closed Her Eyes (Audio CD)
OK....so there I was reading all of those glowing recommendations.
I thought I would chance it and purchase the album which is now over 10 years old.
Ooooh dear,a BIG disappointment.
I have been unable to get beyond the thin shapeless voice, despite some of the excellent arrangements.
This is one of the few albums that I will not be listening to again.
Reader...listen before you buy.

And She Closed Her Eyes
And She Closed Her Eyes by Stina Nordenstam (Audio CD - 1994)