5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest dance record of all time

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better
Published on 30 April 2002

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest dance record of all time, 10 Mar 2001
This review is from: Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (Audio CD)
I bought this album 4 years ago without having heard any of the tracks. I'm so very glad I did. Inventive, quirky, and brilliant are three words that just dont do this album justice, but they're the closest I can get. Moloko take a little trip-hop, some 80's electronica, a slice of pop, and a healthy chunk of surrealism and blend for 60 minutes. My biggest disapointment with Moloko is how their music has become watered down and commercialised over their subsequent albums. I suspect they wouldn't be so popular now if they had stayed as interesting as they are on this record!
I really can't describe how much I love this album. I guess the simplest way is to say I have over 500 records and this is the one I play the most!

4.0 out of 5 stars Do you like it?, 30 Mar 2007
E. A Solinas "ea_solinas" (MD USA) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (Audio CD)
Funky trippy jazzy electronica. That's about all it takes to sum up Moloko's colorful debut "Do You Like My Tight Sweater?", which never stops with the wild sounds and cool bizarrity. Whether mixing airy organ with drum'n'bass or dipping into acid jazz, there is never a dull moment here.

"I dreamt that I was dreaming, I was wired to a clock,/Tickled by the minute hand tick tock tick tock," intones Roisin Murphy in a weird, robotic voice. Behind her is a swirl of piano and funky dancebeats, occasionally straying off into mellow electronic tones. And that's just one song.

In the songs that follow, Murphy and her bandmate Mark Brydon alternate bizarre electronica with weird little skits (like "Tight Sweater," which is just Murphy asking if we like... well, you get it). Sonic burps, metallic drumming, sampled voices, a mooing noise, sparking rhythms and strange chanting all are splattered over the songs, a sonic Jackson Pollock painting.

The electronic beats sound wild and a bit random, but further exploration shows that they are extremely deliberate: for example, Roisin Murphy gets to channel Beth Gibbons in the funky-jazzy "Dominoid," and the eerie, airy vocals and organ of "Butterfly 747" slowly ooze into a tribal drumbeat.

Murphy sings in a sweet, clear voice, which makes the oddball songs sound even weirder. "I dreamt that the bogeyman went down on Mr Spock/Sugar was a flowing sock it to 'em sock/I dreamt I saw a moo cow jump across the moon/Just a flight of fantasy zoom zoom zoom." But she can turn that voice into a spiky mace in songs like the claustrophobic "Killa Bunnies."

Despite the odd slow moment, Moloko never once slows down. Even the jazzy moments are kept unpredictable. But it's not the sort of thing you can immediately dance to, because the beats are all clouded in the deliciously weird sound effects and musical tweaks. Besides, who would want to dance if you can listen instead?

Moloko's debut was a surprisingly solid, whimsical one. Full of trippy-dancey-funky-jazzy-electro-pop, "Do You Like My Tight Sweater" is one to keep and listen to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still listening to it, 29 Jun 2005
This review is from: Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (Audio CD)
I put this CD on yesterday and listened to it from start to finish.
This Moloko album interesting and experimental. It really keeps you interested, and you can just put it on and relax to it.
Highlights for me are Fun For Me, I Can't Help Myself and Party Weirdo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Strangely Superb!, 25 Jan 2000
This review is from: Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (Audio CD)
On first hearing this album i was intrigued, beacuse it's a very unsusual album, but also very good. AND sadly very underrated. This album is definitely a 'grower', on hearing it for the second time i was hooked! It caters for everybody, with a melange of styles - from ambient to bluesy jazz to electro and hardcore - it can therefore be viewed either as a chill out, or an up-beat album. 10 out of 10 for originality and imagination, with no hint of repetition, weird and wonderful lyrics, haunting vocals, and melodic, sometimes whacky beats all go to make this a worthwhile purchase. Particular favoutites are 'Lotus Eater', a haunting tune, 'Party Weirdo', and 'Killa Bunnies', a strange song leading us to believe rabbits are malicious and scary creatures...mmmm...very eerie indeed..... A memorable and poignant album, definitely one of my favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars Massive Attack meets The Cardiacs, not really., 29 Feb 2000
This review is from: Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (Audio CD)
One of the best albums on the 1990's. No, really, it's a crazy, mixed up mess of Massive Attack / Portishead trip-hop, bizarre pop and Techno music that sounds, er, Human (listen to the Scooby Doo style fills in Butterfly 747 and you'll see what I mean). The only criticism I can think of in this joyful mass of musical maddness and melancholy is maybe it could have been improved by a bit of trimming...

5.0 out of 5 stars SUPERCALIFRAGELISTICEXPEALIDOCIOUS = Moloko, 3 Mar 2001
This review is from: Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (Audio CD)
If ever the word supercalifragelisticexpealidocious had a purpose, then it was to describe this album! I'm rather proud to say I bought this album before they had any hits...and paid only 6 quid as I rescued it from a bargain bin. It is worthy of more than a bargain bin...and should sit at the top of your cd collection in a gold framed case! It sits atop my collection and I have returned to listen to its innovative and damn right funky and fun charms many many times. It IS truly a work of genuis, from the artwork to the lyrics and the immensely varied styles of musical instrumentation and vocal content. It's what all music should be about...PURE FUN! There are 17 trax in all. 5 of these are cuuraaazzzy musical interludes with barmy samples and lyrics! The 12 proper trax transcend originality from -pumped up sexy dance fun (fun 4 me), cranky dance funk(party wierdo), atmospheric chillout techno hiphop stuff (ho humm-where is the what), jungle(butterfly 747..AND hardcore trashy WiERDness (killa bunnies).
BUY IT OR MISS ONE BL**DY GOOD CD. Also wait for the 'whole' of the last track.

4.0 out of 5 stars Boodiful, 11 Jan 2013
This review is from: Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (Audio CD)
Not Moloko's best, but still great quality. Some quite inventive technology without being pure electronica. Overall a good long album worthy of many a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Who shot the Go-go dancer, eh?, 6 Aug 2000
This review is from: Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (Audio CD)
This some fine piece of music, me tell ya's! All styles broached, and fulfilled with maximum gusto, you won't be disapointed by the end of the album. You'll probably listen to it all over again.
Moloko: take at least twice a day to feel better.

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 30 April 2002
This review is from: Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (Audio CD)
This album is not the worst in the world by any means. It kicks off with Fun for me,which is the standout track of the album. It then lurches from the bizarre (Killer Bunnies) to the self indulgent (Party Weirdo) At least 6 of the songs could do with trimming as you tend to get a bit bored with them after a while and the skip button becomes appealing. Theres no denying the talent involved,but sometimes it's quality,not quantity that counts!

3.0 out of 5 stars This is good but i feel the second half lets the album down!, 14 Mar 2001
This review is from: Do You Like My Tight Sweater? (Audio CD)
This is a really fun album! I would reccomend it to only real die hard fans though! This was the album I used to introduce myself to the delictible wonders of Moloko and having heard the second album, I prefer it!

Do You Like My Tight Sweater?
Do You Like My Tight Sweater? by Moloko (Audio CD - 1996)