4.0 out of 5 stars a great a o r album
Published on 10 Oct. 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great hooks and memorable pop vocals.
Having owned and sold this CD some years ago, it was hearing Paul Carrack
sing recently that prompted my desire to call back the past. This collection
did more to jog my memory of some great events associated with quite a
few of these hits.

I suppose today, this would be seen mostly as pop music heard on oldies radio
or something one would...
Published 13 months ago by Laurence Dann

4.0 out of 5 stars a great a o r album, 10 Oct. 2000
By A Customer
Although Mike Rutherford is most famous for his work with Genesis, its just hard to believe how many hits his side project Mike & The Mechanics have had and just what a force they have become in the music industry. This album highlights the first ten years of the band's career and showcases material covering their fist four albums. The album includes some great pop tracks like "All I Need Is A Miracle" and "Silent Running" as well as softer hits like "The Living Years" and "A Time And A Place" as well as more rock based tracks like "Word Of Mouth" as well as more laid back rock tracks like "Over My Shoulder", "A Beggar On A Beach Of Gold" and "Another Cup OF Coffee". It's simply a great collection of the greatest hits of one of the best bands of modern times.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic for the living years..., 22 Jun. 2006
Mr. Andrew Moore "lord derfel cadarn" (Worcestershire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mike & The Mechanics Hits (Audio CD)
Now to be honest I do not keep up with music; I just hear something I like and maybe I'll buy it. OK, that said I did know some of the tacks from Mike and the Mechanics and just love "The Living Years". So when my wife got me this CD for my birthday I was surprised to see so many of the songs I knew and loved without even realising it was Mike...!

Anyway, this CD is superb. The tallent on this CD is second to non, artists and writers... Mike Rutherford, BA Robertson, Paul Carrack... to name but three.

All I need is a miracle is upbeat and fun, Over my shoulder realy lifts the spirit like a true ballad and as for the already mentioned Living Years... the words and sentiment cannot fail to touch a chord with lyrics like "I wasn't there that morning when my father passed away. I never got to tell him all the things I had to say" then going on to say about finding his fathers spirit in the tear of his newborn baby. Powerful stuff indeed.

WSould I recommend this to you? definitely; whether you like Mike and the Mechanics, know their work or not this CD is certainly one you'll l;isten to time after time. Its beautiful!

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike and the Mechanics, 10 Jan. 2011
Marcia "marcia" (england) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mike & The Mechanics Hits (Audio CD)
Without a doubt this is a great collection of hits by Mike and the Mechanics. And although the original albums may be great, this compilation is the best release since it brings together the best tracks. And this release showcases not only the great hits, but also the wealth of talent involved. Mike Rutherford first became famous through the work with the group Genesis. Here he joins the Mechanics. All the songs are credited to being written by Mike, together with either B A Robertson, Christopher Neil or Paul Carrack.
Mike Rutherford, Paul Carrack and Paul Young with support bring us great tracks like "All I Need Is A Miracle", "Silent Running", "The Living Years", "A Time And A Place", "Word Of Mouth", "Over My Shoulder", "A Beggar On A Beach Of Gold" and "Another Cup OF Coffee". This is a great selection of tracks that makes a great album in its own right.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great collection of hits!, 7 May 2013
Amazon Customer (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Mike & The Mechanics Hits (Audio CD)
This classic 1996 compilation contains all of the tracks you'd expect on a Mike (Rutherford from the band Genesis) & The Mechanics hits collection. Personal life-long favourites for me are 'Are I Need Is A Miracle', 'The Living Years', 'Looking Back Over My Shoulder', 'Word Of Mouth' and 'Another Cup Of Coffee' - a good variety of upbeat, fun tracks and ballads - much like the whole CD.

This is a strong collection of great easy listening rock/pop music from a great band, perfect for driving or just chilling out.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin....4.5 stars., 23 Mar. 2011
This review is from: Mike & The Mechanics Hits (Audio CD)
All the hits in one place.

The excellent " Silent Running", " Over my Shoulder", " The Living Years", " All i Need is a Miracle", " Word of Mouth", " Nobody's Perfect" and " Nobody Knows" all shine brightly, as do a few others. You get the incredible musicianship and production throughout.

I've dropped half a star as i've never got on with " Another Cup of Coffee" & " Beggar on a Beach of Gold", which is more personal taste than criticism, hence in my opinion it's a very good compilation.

Almost a classic Greatest Hits album, but not quite....

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth the money, 3 Oct. 2011
Andre Labouchardiere (Dorset, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mike & The Mechanics Hits (Audio CD)
I recognised a few of the tracks and knew I would enjoy listening to at least half the songs. For the price, this CD was well worth the money. I was even able to discover some new songs I liked.

5.0 out of 5 stars The critics hated them; I love them, 8 Nov. 2012
This review is from: Mike & The Mechanics Hits (Audio CD)
There's no excuse needed for a great AOR song, and this record features thirteen of them. The drawing factor for me is the vocal performances: we are really spoiled with the stunning voices of the Pauls, Carrack and Young. Carrack's soulful, radio-friendly voice appeared on most of the major hits, never for a second sounding disingenuous. One should not discount the light-yet-powerful rock voice of de facto frontman Young, though, who goes from an emotive whisper to a powerful, fifth octave high note in an instant.

Not for elitists or rock snobs, but certainly for those who enjoy melodic, hook-laden tunes with outstanding vocals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Mike & Mechanics Hits, 7 Dec. 2012
This review is from: Mike & The Mechanics Hits (Audio CD)
An excellent compilation of Mike's (Rutherford, of Genesis fame) + Mechanics Hits, featuring the superb voices of Paul Carrack and the late Paul Young (Sad Cafe not 'No Regrets'/Los Pacaminos). I saw them at Portsmouth Guildhall the year before PY died, and it was one of the best concerts I have ever attended, with the band visibly enjoying/revelling in their rapport with the audience. The highlight of the album has to be "Living Years", Mike Rutherford's tribute to his father, and the words just "wanna make you cry".
I bought this to replace an earlier copy worn out by endlessly playing in the car CD player.

3.0 out of 5 stars Some great hooks and memorable pop vocals., 12 April 2014
Laurence Dann "LD strategy" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
Having owned and sold this CD some years ago, it was hearing Paul Carrack
sing recently that prompted my desire to call back the past. This collection
did more to jog my memory of some great events associated with quite a
few of these hits.

I suppose today, this would be seen mostly as pop music heard on oldies radio
or something one would hear in a shop or as background music. This doesn't
make it bad music, it's just seriously dated from another dance or sing-along era.

My favourite tracks are: Over my shoulder (A timeless classic of a song, interesting
chord progressions, great vocals) ; Another Cup of Coffee (the bass line is tasteful
and supports the melody well) ; A time and place (the lyrics are sentimental but make
an interesting point about overcoming difficulties - some might say its best heard in an
audience with everyone waving their phones of flames to the anthem. It has a decent
crescendo) ; Taken In (this metronomic melody reminds me of an old Gilbert O'Sullivan
song, however its the simplicity and innocence of the song that appeals to me) A beggar
on a beach of gold (Few would argue that this is a pop classic, sung with passion and
conviction.)

Not everyone likes to revisit a whole batch of pop music from a bygone era, but I found that
this compilation of well known favourites had enough quality, hooks and messages to make it
worthwhile, even at this time. Made in and for the pop genre it should stand a few more
tests in time. To recall some sins in the past, I recommend this CD.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mike and the Mechanics hits, 26 Oct. 2011
This review is from: Mike & The Mechanics Hits (Audio CD)
I love Paul Carrack-Do I need to say more. However I will, superb singing and wonderfully melodic songs. If you are an eclectic music listener this is an album for you.

Mike & The Mechanics Hits
Mike & The Mechanics Hits by Mike & The Mechanics (Audio CD - 1996)