5.0 out of 5 stars Its a grower !, 21 Jan 2005
Winston Schwarz (Devonport, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Universal Juveniles (Audio CD)
Having orginally purchased this recording as an experimental teen I was initially very confused. I had heard the track `Battle Scar`, a joint two ensemble effort between Rush and Max Webster on the radio and as I was to discover the album was a more esoteric piece indeed. Social alienation, relationship breakdown, a hilarious critique of stadium rock and the plight of the native American Indian are examples of the lyrical content. The music was also very fresh. My guess is that Punk and New Wave had made an impression on the band and combined with their tight `Rock chops` a rare orginal sound was the result.
Returning to this album I was amazed as to how fresh it sounded.
The production does however sound dated, but that is the only bugbear I have. These songs have wormed themselves into my subconscious and I still find myself singing choice snippets of prime Max Webster !

5.0 out of 5 stars Overlooked, 10 July 2007
P Treneary (Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Universal Juveniles (Audio CD)
I've recently been compiling a top 30 all time favourite albums and for some reason 'Check' (Track 2) popped into my head so I revisited my vinyl copy of this once fav of mine. The result? it's a very serious contender for my top 30 and put a big smile on my face in the process.
As the previous reviewer has said it sounds really fresh and it was nicely recorded/engineered. I bought it originally back in 1980 on the strength of the Rush duet 'Battlescar' but to be honest whilst that track is a belter it's not the most polished of them (I believe it was recorded 'live' ie a single take) with 3 out of the other 4 tracks on side 1 standing solidly against it (and 2 of those are definitely better). After buying UJ, I subsequently worked through their back catalogue (only recently getting hold of their eponymously titled debut) but whilst there are a few superb tracks amongst their earlier works - 'Gravity', 'Hangover', The Party', 'Oh War', and 'Research At Beach Resorts' - no one album matches this one.
And I've just bought a CD copy via Amazon, something I rarely do if I've got the vinyl.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good to hear Mister M again, 13 Jan 2012
This review is from: Universal Juveniles (Audio CD)
Used to have this on vinyl until my family decided to do a car boot sale and sold it, and all my other records !!!
I'd forgotten just how great the music and lyrics were, after not hearing this stuff for nigh on 18 years. The production may not be the best, but Kim Mitchell is one hell of a tunesmith.
Would definitely recommend/check this out.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Websters rock!, 31 Mar 2010
Mr. Graeme Walters "wastrel" (Teesside UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Universal Juveniles (Audio CD)
Universal Juveniles is one of the greatest albums no one has ever heard of.

I got to know Max Webster (no such person its the name of the band) growing up in Canada in the late 1970's. They were dressing up in in womens' clothes which was pretty adventurous given how conservative Canada was back then.

This was their last studio album as far as I am aware and features Kim Mitchell's ineffable guitar, smart lyrics, great sense of humour and the collaboration with Rush (who gave MW their break by signing them to their record label, Anthem), Battle Scar.

High Class in Borrowed Shoes, their second album is also brilliant.

Universal Juveniles
Universal Juveniles by Max Webster (Audio CD - 2000)