5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic songs, sung with style and conviction
Published on 8 May 2001

2.0 out of 5 stars Hear one, hear all
Some tunes on this Manilow CD are catchier than others but by and large you seem to hear the same background beat and placid voice throughout. Not bad but I have a feeling I will not play it again any time soon,
Published on 27 Dec 2010 by Movie Fan from Portugal

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic songs, sung with style and conviction, 8 May 2001
This review is from: The Songs 1975-1990 (Audio CD)
Being under 30, I wrongly presumed that Barry Manilow's music was old hat elevator music, but I openly admit how very wrong I was. This is an excellent album with a fantastic collection of well written tunes. I challenge anyone to listen to the whole album and then not be caught singing away to some of the tracks. It is, admittedly, not the kind of album that you would play on a Friday night, but it certainly is the one to listen to on a sunny Sunday afternoon.

5.0 out of 5 stars They don't make 'em like Barry any more, 6 Feb 2004
(No. 1 Hall OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Songs 1975-1990 (Audio CD)
In an age where most people placed more importance on the beat of a song than the song itself, Barry came along in the seventies to remind us what great songwriting is really all about. He wrote or co-wrote several of his classic songs but he was always willing to record quality songs written by others. Fortunately for Barry, there were still enough people around in the seventies and eighties who loved great songs, so he was able to become a major star despite being unfashionable in some quarters. Of course, he got – and continues to get – plenty of criticism from those with different musical tastes, but the appreciation of his fans provides him with more than adequate compensation.
This British compilation covering his most successful years contains many of Barry's classic songs though there are some strange omissions. Although Barry had many UK hits, only one of them actually made the top ten (I wanna do it with you) and it's not included here. Two other UK hit (Let's hang on, I'm gonna sit right down and write myself a letter) are also missing. Some of his other American hits are also missing but as this is a British compilation and they didn't make the UK charts that is understandable. Nevertheless, this is a fine compilation and a class act like Barry should not be judged on hits alone.
Among the many classic songs included here are I write the songs (ironically, not written by Barry), The old songs, Somewhere in the night, I made it through the rain, Daybreak, Bermuda triangle, Mandy, Copacabana at the copa, Can't smile without you and Could it be magic. Barry provides a brief comment (usually just one sentence) on each song here.
Despite the absence of some hits, this compilation provides a great introduction to Barry's music.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly magical!, 1 Dec 2000
J. G. Hinckley (Bedford, Beds. United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Songs 1975-1990 (Audio CD)
This is a remarkable collection from Barry Manilow. Two of the best songs ever written feature here - 'Somewhere down the road' and 'Weekend in New England'. If you want just one album from this talented singer/writer, then this is it - Buy It!

5.0 out of 5 stars May I beckon you to the Manilow lair....., 26 July 2000
This review is from: The Songs 1975-1990 (Audio CD)
I came across this album completely by accident and believe me, I am not making that up. I am a young attractive "normal" female and I am not afraid to admit I absolutely love Barry Manilow. At first the only songs I recognized were "Could it be magic", "Mandy" and "Cocacobana". If you can honestly say that you do not like any of these songs - DO NOT buy the album. If however, you think they were actually quite good, DO BUY "The Songs" it is an absolute gem and like me - you will truly and unashamedly plunge in to the pool of Manilow genius. (never to surface again!)

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic easy listening, 24 Feb 2000
This review is from: The Songs 1975-1990 (Audio CD)
I went to see Barry Mannilow in concert - very reluctantly. But I was very impressed - he's a great entertainer. I bought this CD and have kept listening since. Some great tracks - most you will recognise, even though you didn't realise they were Barry Manilow songs! Can't help singing the stuff.

5.0 out of 5 stars This One's For You!, 8 Sep 2008
This review is from: The Songs 1975-1990 (Audio CD)
Truly the best of the albums, when Barry was at the peak of his career. As he says "I write the songs that make the young girls cry". He can certainly make this old girl cry with renditions of "If I Should Love Again" and "Tryin' To Get The Feeling Again". The favourites, Copacabana, Mandy etc are all there.

If there's one album you should have in your collection it should be this one!

5.0 out of 5 stars Barry Manilow The Songs 1975 - 1990, 9 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Songs 1975-1990 (Audio CD)
Ordered this for my daughter( who was brought up listening to Manilow) for Christmas. Would love to have kept it for myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, 3 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Songs 1975-1990 (Audio CD)
I love Barry which some people find a bit strange as I'm only 40! Brilliant CD with all my faves on. Would by from this seller again as arrived in excellent condition and in the time stated.

5.0 out of 5 stars love it..., 2 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Songs 1975-1990 (Audio CD)
this is so soulful and soothing...and it send my bulldogs to sleep better than me singing to them cos they love barry manilow too

5.0 out of 5 stars great cd, 1 Jun 2013
sheila webb (feltham, middlesex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Songs 1975-1990 (Audio CD)
I love this cd. It has some great tracks on it. I would recommend this cd to all Barry Manilow lovers. Easy to listen and sing along to.

The Songs 1975-1990
The Songs 1975-1990 by Barry Manilow (Audio CD - 1990)