5.0 out of 5 stars This Used To Be My Playground, a striking ballad by Madonna
Published on 13 Oct. 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best
Published on 28 Jan. 2005 by wardrugby

5.0 out of 5 stars This Used To Be My Playground, a striking ballad by Madonna, 13 Oct. 2001
This review is from: This Used To Be My Playground (Audio CD)
Madonna's This Used To Be My Playground, a striking ballad from her 1992 hit film "A League Of Their Own" appears as three different versions on this single, the actual Single version which you are probably already familiar with, a lengthy Instrumental version nearly 7 minutes long and a Long version, long as in it has additional lyrics. This stunning yet uncomplicated song preceded the suggestive nature of the Erotica Album and shows how Madonna can produce a great song without controversy, easily one of her best, it should have been a UK number one, however it was a top 3 hit.
"Playground" had to wait over three years before appearing on a Madonna Album, 1995's Something To Remember where it sits easily among her other famous ballads, however it does stand out as a mature and accomplished recording on it's own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Guilty Pleasure - am I alone in this?, 24 Aug. 2010
Blackmale (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: This Used To Be My Playground (Audio CD)
There is Pop in my collection, but not a lot of it and after half a lifetime listening, I just can't take much more of it. But from a purely personal view I adore this song. It is a love without justification.
The ex-Mrs. Penn, soon to be the ex-Mrs. Ritchie, deserves accolades aplenty for carving the path between the mountains of men that dominated pop music in the 80's. However, given the task of trying to pick out a genuinely interesting listening experience from her vast library spanning three decades? I confess I'll struggle....until that is I return to My Playground.

There is little here that I can apply objective appraisal to, but I find myself magnetically drawn to this mournful oddball ballad, that somehow sounds desperately sincere. There is something within each of us that longs to return to places of the past and this is the perfect backing music to remind me of the pain from knowing that you shouldn't.

The production is 90's plastic, very Korg M1 and mostly synthetic, with little in the way of acoustic delivery, but all the right bits are COPIED to the right places. Three versions (radio extended and instrumental)stretch the disc playing to close on 20 minutes and sufficient for my household to rally against me for "....playing that wretched song over and over again...." It wasn't wretched the first time, I can assure you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Madonna's best ever single, 7 Jan. 2013
This review is from: This Used To Be My Playground (Audio CD)
Quite simply this is the best single Madonna has ever released and was a deserved number 1 in the USA way back in 1992. Full of nostalgia, a wonderful melancholic tune and a great story in the lyrics - this is the sort of music Madonna needs to be making now rather than MDNA. It was a travesty that this song was left off the "Celebration" greatest hits album. The music video is also excellent. Hopefully Madonna's next album will move towards more sophisticated material like this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Comforting like a warm summer evening, 4 July 2001
This review is from: This Used To Be My Playground (Audio CD)
It is surprising that this extraordinary track rarely (if ever) finds its way into compilations.
A true testament of Madonna's ability to deliver - along with most provocative and controversial songs - ballads that are warm and unapologetically sentimental. A very, very good tune.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of her best written song pieces, 17 Dec. 2000
This review is from: This Used To Be My Playground (Audio CD)
This is a one off. Whenever I hear this track I get a gut-renched feeling in the pit of my stomach because the melody and the lyrics together are so real. This is my favourite track of hers and is only available as a single.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not her best, 28 Jan. 2005
This review is from: This Used To Be My Playground (Audio CD)
i am a huge madonna collector but i will admit this isn't her best song in fact far from it. however it's good enough to buy so long as you dont mind hearing more or less the exact same thing 3 times in a row. If you want it to complete a madonna collection then by all means get it but if youd rather just hear the song i would recommend you buy something to remember as it also has this used to be my playground included in the tracklisting

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 21 Sept. 2014
This review is from: This Used To Be My Playground (Audio CD)
All is ok. The product and shipping

This Used To Be My Playground
This Used To Be My Playground by Madonna (Audio CD - 2003)