‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars kangaroo court................, 15 Dec. 2004
bohobozo - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Hipsway (Audio CD)
I was editing my recommendations when this title hit the screen.
HIPSWAY.
Wow - I first played this in the mid80's and for a long period it took pride of place in my collection alongside other favs of the time - Orange Juice and the Smiths.
It is a treasure that I love to dig up now and then and I am always pleasantly surprized how well it sounds.
Reading the reveiws here had me memory lipsyncing the lyrics, grinning like a fool, full of joy and well being.
This carried me through the 80's and for me today to listen to it is an uplifting experience.
It is a truly wonderful set of songs.
A desert island disc.
A treasure island disc.
Dig it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Long forgotten Gem, 13 Mar. 2003
Mr. Terence Jones "terencej72" (Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Hipsway (Audio CD)
Background:- I first heard Hipsway in 1985 when i was 13 through a friend whose older brother knew the band. Formed in 84 by Jonny McElhrone (who later went on to be the main force behind Texas with Sharleen Spiteri)and featuring the fantastic vocals of Graham Skinner.
They acheived noteriety not so much through their singles (The Honeythief, Ask the Lord, The Broken years) but through the song Tinder which featured on a McEwans Lager advert (a series of visually stunning adverts which ran during the mid 80's).
They acheived a cult following and it's no wonder with so many great tracks on the abumn.
Sound :- The band have a bluesy light rock sound reminisent of early Texas songs (no surprise there) which feature stunning vocals. The best songs on the Album are Ask the Lord, The Honey thief, The Broken Years, Tinder, Long White car.
Ask the Lord has to be one of the best written pop songs of the 80's dealing with exploitation of minorities without being an overly pungent political song (unlike Simple Minds' Mandelah day). The rest of the Album has a few remixes (which don't really add anything but flesh out the albumn a bit more which it doesn't need) and some reasonably good tracks.
It's worth buying the album just for the tracks i've mentioned. Their follow-up albumn sadly is not as good.
You could also check out another great Scottish band lost in the same way Hipsway were called Love and Money (a more pop sound) whose albumn Sugarland Express is almost as good.

5.0 out of 5 stars scottish rock soul, 16 Jun. 2005
andy (motherwell scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hipsway (Audio CD)
skinners voice sounded the scene a sound encluding blue nile ,texas, goodbye mr mackenzie,deacon blue,love and money,hipsway gelled a sound from scotland that was overlooked but had influences from across the atlantic pond and made me take in much more on my headphones even today scratch the surface the follow up to hipsway is a favourite,surely an overlooked classic collectors piece renamed the best of hipsway , goodness the 80s scotland at its best

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning., 8 April 2014
This review is from: Hipsway (Audio CD)
I remember getting this on cassette as it came out in the 80's and since then I have purchased it quite a few times but I hadn't had a listen to it at all for about 10 years. Coming back to it you realize what a truly superb album it is, there isn't a single "filler" song on it! I have completely lost count of the hundreds of albums I have listened to and the majority of them to one extent or another have fillers. Some albums I have bought before only have a couple of great songs, this one is perfect.

Another reviewer has quite rightly pointed out that it has aged well, and they're not wrong it hasn't aged much at all, With the amount of turgid drivel about these days I doubt very much that you can revisit an album of 2014 28 years later and it sound as good as this one does.

Highlights for me are "Tinder", "Upon a thread" and my favourite "Set this day apart."

Massively under-rated group and album, this is sheer magic from the 1980's, buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Oldie but Goldie, 13 Sept. 2003
Mr. Steven Scott "scott1s" (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hipsway (Audio CD)
Perhaps one of the best Glasgow band to never quite make it - along with The Big Dish. This album is timeless. Those of you who remember the Tennents Lager ad with the stone ball rolling through the tunnel will remember the track Tinder.
No beating about here - just buy it OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars rediscovered perfect pop, 12 Jun. 2007
Mrs. K. White - See all my reviews
This review is from: Hipsway (Audio CD)
I owned this many years ago on tape. Some how it got lost and I forgot all about it. I spotted it on Amazon and purchased it. I'm glad I did. This is a great CD by one of Scotland's many bands that never quite made it (i.e. Goodbye Mr. McKenzie, The Silencers, Love & Money). The Honeythief is a great opener with not a single track spoiling the listening pleasure. Brilliant vocals and razor sharp bass. If you like the 80's buy this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome, 10 Nov. 2011
This review is from: Hipsway (Audio CD)
This has to be one of the best albums of the 80's. I almost wore the cassette out, in fact it is that good I also bought the CD.

Even 25 years on I listen to this album on my iPod regularly. Its an album where I listen to all the songs because they are all classics.

Its a must fro every music lovers collection

4.0 out of 5 stars Forgotten classic with splendid production, 4 Feb. 2009
This review is from: Hipsway (Audio CD)
The songs aren't always there, especially on side two, but the combined forces of production geniuses Paul Staveley O'Duffy and Gary Langan as well as the supertight playing and Grahame Skinner's deep baritone voice elevate this well above any eighties mediocrity. Better and hipper than Love and Money.

5.0 out of 5 stars happy hubby, 29 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Hipsway (Audio CD)
Got this for my husband as a present from the kids as he has this on tape & has been looking for ages
to get in on cd. Well he was over the moon when he opened his present. Delivery was fast within 2 days
and i would buy from the seller again.

5.0 out of 5 stars They were huge in Glasgow where l grew up and I've loved them since the fabulous 80's, 15 Feb. 2015
This review is from: Hipsway (Audio CD)
Have been meaning to buy this for absolute years and years. They were huge in Glasgow where l grew up and I've loved them since the fabulous 80's. This has brought back so many lovely and emotive memories. Awesome. 😃

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Hipsway
Hipsway by Hipsway (Audio CD - 1991)