on 26 October 2010
Their first release(s) with Kai Hansen singing. Tracks 1 through 5 (Starlight - Cry for Freedom) are the Mini LP released early in 85. Walls of Jericho (tracks 6 through 13) was released later on the same year. Not too sure on Judas. May have been 86 just before Kiske joined.

I bought Walls of Jericho after hearing the Live in the UK and Keepers Albums. I was initially put off by the heaviness of this, as it was really unexpected. However, I soon came round. It's got much more attitude and a looser, heavier sound than subsequent releases. Surprisingly, the production is a little better (cleaner and tighter) on the Mini LP than the full album.

It's is just a fantastic piece of work that they haven't come anywhere near to since. Great, beefy, in-yer-face speed metal. Yes, Hansen's singing isn't that clear (something he's improved on immeasurably since) but it really suits the material. The less said about Deris' attempt at singing these tunes, the better. As much as I love Kiske's voice and would argue that he's technically better than Hansen, he doesn't have the attitude for this. Hansen beats him hands down. Ralf Scheepers made a great job of singing Ride the Sky in his early Gamma Ray days. He actually helped Helloween finishing off the tour for this and was offered the gig, full time, but turned it down (he lived hundreds of Ks away and didn't want to relocate). It would have been really interesting to see what would have happened had he have taken up the invitation. Would they have continued in this vain, rather than taming things a smidge with Kiske for the Keepers albums?

Anyway, I digress. It's a whole chapter in the Helloween story on its own. Nothing like (and much better than) anything they've done since. Do yourself a favour and buy it.

One last thing. When I migrated from Vinyl to CD, this was the first CD I ever bought. Need I say any more?
on 27 April 2003
74 minutes of metallic heaven. Kai Hansen's classic Helloween
album featuring the fantastic & still ever requested anthem 'Ride The Sky'. Less polished and melodic than more recent Helloween and Gamma Ray CD's this album has a thrashier raw energy which is unique to itself and totally unmissable!
on 9 August 2000
Helloween at their best, with Kai Hansen ,show what power metal is.This is a diamond ,a MUST HAVE , for every metal fun who respects the music that he is listening to.
on 9 September 2010
I was about to buy this, but checking the Tracklist, it ommitted the awesome Song ' RIDE THE SKY' either Amazon has missed it off or is does not appear? If anyone has bought this, could they let me, know? I bought The 2 cd Expanded Edition, in 2006, also still own, the album and mini album, on vinyl. Never have liked any other album, after Keeprs part 2.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 October 2004
This album was Kai's great moment. He told me to Ride The Sky...I didn't really know how to, but gave it a go & really enjoyed it!
While I was up there, Gorgar threatened to eat me but I fought that beast off and continued on my journey.
Then I arrived at How Many Tears. Without doubt the greatest speed metal track ever. Truly exceptional. Heavy, fast, dramatic, over the top, melodic (ish..when it needed to be), magnificant guitars. It has everything.
Ride The Sky, Gorgar and How Many Tears are the only tracks I can remember, to be honest. The rest was a bit patchy. But it's well worth every penny just for these 3 tracks. I'm about to buy it & you should too.