4.0 out of 5 stars Electronic meat grinder soundscaping, 14 Mar 2006
Elliot Davies "ahttt" (Liverpool, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chiastic Slide (Audio CD)
First of all, whilst I've heard a lot of Autechre's material, this was the first album I heard. I was expecting it to be uncomfortable listening, edgy, unlistenable abstract techno. Well, it is, but only for a few seconds. A few seconds, that's how long it takes for the songs to establish themselves. It is here where the head is filled with cold, clinical industrial imagery. Pretty soon, though, the rhythms become drones and you're sucked in, hypnotised, comfortably at one with the machines. It's a pleasent sensation, and because most of the tracks are lengthy affairs, you spend a lot of the album floating happily in a vat of oil, or something. It's only when the next track grinds into life where the flow stops. You're shaken awake rather rudely and all is not well, before you settle back down again into the groove.
Each track has a different feel. It's a cliche to say so, but the album really is like a journey, an exhibition of different mental states. This is real Metal Machine Music. Far from unlistenable, I have trouble stopping myself from picking it up every time I tease a CD from the rack.

5.0 out of 5 stars Glad I'm not alone liking this album!, 31 Mar 2001
This review is from: Chiastic Slide (Audio CD)
I bought this CD ages ago, and dropped this note on the way to get 'Confield'. Chiastic slide is heavy on granular synthesis, so don't expect the fat sounds of commercial (and predictable) dance music. People that think techno music is a dead end should listen to CS and revise their ideas. I was so impressed with this album that it has heavily influenced my own music since. Autechre seem to balance the rhythm, sound and melody elements perfectly, even on Rettic AC which appears to be a wall of noise at first. Even the name shows a touch of genius - chiastic flow is a term used in fluid dynamics.

5.0 out of 5 stars Crazy, 19 April 2000
This review is from: Chiastic Slide (Audio CD)
With Chiastic Slide, the delicate clunks and clicks of Tri Repetae, Autechre's previous full-length release, have been embedded in a sea of static and become twisted and broken, creating some fabulously disjointed, yet strangely cohesive rhythms. Cipater's beat at first is loud and banging and you get the feeling that it could just break apart at the seams, but halfway through the song it morphs and slows down, changing the entire feel of the song. The way Autechre manipulate sound and mess around with while you're listening to it is taken to a new level on Chiastic Slide. Other tracks worth of note are the crunchy, bassy Cichli, and Recury which has an atmosphere comparable to being in a steelworks. Overall, Chiastic Slide is my favourite Autechre release, although you may feel a little lost if you don't get Tri Repetae first.

4.0 out of 5 stars Computery excellence., 10 Dec 2007
This review is from: Chiastic Slide (Audio CD)
This sets the benchmark for every Autechre record from 97 onwards, the minimal synth sounds twirling in the background seem to be in a contest with the listener with the heavy hip hop beats for attention, the beats win on most occassions, although with mutiple listens, you may actually start to appreciate the melody in the background.

Like most Autechre records(excluding Incunabula), it's hard to take in at first which is why I don't understand the uproar over it's so called 'coldness', what does that mean anyway? Tri was a bigger progression from Amber but it did not stop people liking it.

Overall a fine effort from the boys.

5.0 out of 5 stars what a trip..., 7 Dec 1999
This review is from: Chiastic Slide (Audio CD)
Great album - lots to keep you interested - even good in the background when beavering away.
The first track starts out sounding like a futuristic factory - clunks, static, etc, repetitive and dark...after about 3 mins this delicately morphs into a beautiful simple oriental inspired sound.
Track 4 is good for bassheadz with plently of low end humming.
Good stuff if you need some creative inspiration...it's easy to sit, listen and let your mind wander (and I don't do ganja ;O)

5.0 out of 5 stars The turning point., 7 Oct 2003
Mr. R. Baker (Leeds, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chiastic Slide (Audio CD)
From what I've read, this album was recieved by an amount of shock when it was released. "Unlistenable!" "Too experimental" and so on. Maybe it's because I was listening to Merzbow before I even got into Ae, but I never thought this was that out there. That said, it's definitely a move on from Tri Repetae. Whilst all the mechanical beats and clangs of Tri Repetae are there, this time they've been mangled into more complex rhythms, strange time signatures and beats that are impossible to follow (I never have a clue what's going on when Ciapter changes from 4/4 into 3/4 half way through).
There's something that stops me liking the album as much as its predecessor. I think it might be lacking in mood points. It's not as overly cold, and uses far less reverb and soft sounds for that lonely feeling Tri Repetae gives me. In this case, the paranoia of before has been exchanged for white noise and random crunches here. It sounds a lot rougher than their earlier albums. The melodies, too, are becoming increasingly sparse. Whilst 'Cichli' is awash with lush strings, most tracks are more similar to its contrasting followup track, Hub, a mixture of crunchy, scrapy beats backed with a soft, dischordant synth that doesn't really make its presence known until half way through. Recury is a popular track, and one of my personal favourites too. An ever onwards moving hip-hop beat becomes increasinly soaked in cello-like abstract synths, reverbed yelps and strange background grinding noises that sound like the track was recorded next to an industrial factory.
Unless you're into noisey and experimental IDM type stuff (in which case, you probably have this anyway), I'd recommend being familiar with what came before Chiastic Slide before diving in. It's worthwhile, but you'll learn to love it far faster if you've got an idea of what to expect.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clanky clanky argh argh whirr!, 15 Sep 2003
Simon J. Whight "fourfourfun" (Manchester) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chiastic Slide (Audio CD)
My fave of the Autechre albums! Love the way it starts. I first got introduced to Autechre through a short film on Channel 4's onedottv programme (wish I could remember the people who did it). Basically an almost CCTV view of England was timed to the clunking of Cipater. I was a very captivated boy. So I searched out the album which it was from.
So Ciapater starts off Chiastic Slide, mechanical beats with robotic precision. Melancholic in nature, as if representing the solitary existance of an assembly robot building car after car. Rettic AC does a fine job at bringing you out of any hypnotic state you might be in, sounding like a cascade of 'the noise you hear when your needle is stuck on the run out groove of vinyl', this is set against gentle synths. Bringing a contrast of harsh and light. A short interlude before we head into Tewe. A wonderful track, intricate beat programming, with an almost eastern flavour to the synths used. Listening to tracks like Cichli with its harmony between mechanical and orchestral arrangements, shows you where albums such as Bjork's Homogenic came from. Hub fades in and out of your headphones with menace and mood, bass drum hits stabbing up and up and up and vanishing away. Calbruc sounds like a steam driven machine which has the words 'mean and nasty' painted down the side of it, you can just imagine it relentlessly puffing away, doing whatever large mean and nasty machines do in their spare time. Now apparently Warp boys like Autechre and Plaid all came from the old skool b-boy hip hop scene. On something like Recury you can hear this, hidden away is hypnotic hip hop break, its just thats its been twisted, echoed and effected into something completely different! By the time the eerie choral sounds come in at the end of the track, you're in a very different place to old skool. Pule is one of the lighter offerings from the album, plinking and plonking synths before Nuane wrap things up with scattered synths and beats, unsettling.
I would say this is probably the best place to come in and check out Autechre if you're wanting to have a look at the electronic world. Experimental without being so damn abstract that you fill your pants at a rapid rate. Manages to straddle the line between mechanical and something soft and gentle. A big fluffy steam driven metal bunny of the music world lets say. More accessable that you'd think. Definately one to check, and if it floats your boat DO make sure you check out Plaid and Boards Of Canada while you're at it!

5.0 out of 5 stars The place to start!, 17 Jan 2005
This review is from: Chiastic Slide (Audio CD)
I personally find Autechre to be a duo that manage to walk the fine line between presenting an experimental sound and remaining accessible, and Chiastic Slide I think is the album that does it best. A friend of mine introduced me to Autechre, and I could not understand where they were coming from when I saw Gantz Graf (noisy, but I think fans will agree Gantz Graf is one of the pinnacles of AE's work musically and visually). Ultimately, Cipater was the track that unlocked Autechre for me and consequently I have tracked down as much as I can by them (including Gescom). Incunabula and Tri Repetae are great, and I might not be generally agreed with that Confield is an amazingly deep album once you get to know it, but fundamentally Chiastic Slide is the place to start to get a feel for what the duo is capable of. Autechre led me to a lot of Warp artists, and Squarepusher, Plaid and Aphex should be on your list too if this type of music is starting to get your attention!

4.0 out of 5 stars Mesmerising, 18 Nov 2001
E Parry (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Chiastic Slide (Audio CD)
I bought this album fairly randomly from a selection at a record shop. I think because it had the coolest name (sorry). I'd heard snippets of Autechre before and I'm beggining to get interested in the whole experimental techno scene. This record was pretty much what I'd hoped for, lots of interesting sounds, nice melodies (but nothing likely to get stuck in your head). It's good to have on in the background, and hypnotic when you listen (in a good way). It is perhaps a little repetitive (I mean the songs tend to sound like each other, obviously they're repetitive, it's techno), but then Autechre change their sound somehow on every album, so that's fair enough.
I'm no expert on Autechre (I was even pronouncing their name wrong until very recently), or indeed clever techno (yet), but I'd say this is a very worthy purchase for anyone who's into it.

Chiastic Slide
Chiastic Slide by Autechre (Audio CD - 2001)