Format: Audio CD|Change

Although I already owned Marianne Faithfull's Greatest Hits album that contains thirteen of these tracks, I had to acquire this one too for her exquisite interpretations of two folk classics: Tom Paxton's The Last Thing On My Mind and Tim Hardin's Reason To Believe with which Rod Stewart later had a huge hit. It was well worth it!
Other sixties classics here include Monday Monday and Yesterday plus the two famous Stones songs As Tears Go By and the lugubrious Sister Morphine. The informative sleeve insert provides an interesting overview of her career, even giving the UK and US chart positions of her singles and ep's. I was surprised to learn, for example, how firmly she stood in the folk tradition in those early years, always having considered her more of a pop singer.
Besides the Paxton and Hardin numbers, my other favourites remain the yearning Come And Stay With Me, a Jackie De Shannon song which reached No. 4 in the UK in 1964, the Goffin/Mann composition Something Better, Spector/Goffin/King's Is This What I Get For Loving You and the sorrowful Go Away From My World. If I had to choose between "Greatest Hits" and this "Very Best Of", I would definitely take this one since Reason To Believe, The Last Thing On My Mind and Scarborough Fair are more beautiful than the tracks Counting, With You In Mind and Some Other Spring found on the Greatest Hits album.
11 comment|76 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
A few years ago I bought a Jools Holland `And Friends' album that featured Marianne Faithfull singing Dylan's Gotta Serve Somebody. I was entranced by the husky voice that had obviously seen life and knew of what it was speaking. I determined to find more from this lady whom I had previously only heard of as a footnote in the history of the Rolling Stones.

I was amazed when I bought this album. Her voice was so different! It has a sweet, pure quality that suggests a certain air of innocence. It's full of passion, but none of the pain that would mark her later recordings. I was equally entranced by it as I was by her Jools Holland performance.

This collection takes recordings mainly made in 1964-66, and one from 1969. They are presented in stereo I believe, and have a pretty decent mastering, unusually good for a CD released in 1987. There is nothing form her later famous albums such as Broken English. Liner notes are fascinating, and there is a comprehensive list of details about recording ad release dates, as well as catalogue numbers.

It's a classic album of mid sixties girl singer, taking on pop hits, and more adventurous material with a folk and blues leanings. 5 stars, it's entrancing.
on 7 February 2010
What a fabulous album. Takes you right back to the 60s. Will now be purchasing more of her albums but I think this is a good one to start with as it has all of the old favourites on it.
I guess if talking of 'Marianne' back in the swinging-sixties many would remember
her well publicised relationship back then with 'Mick Jagger' and of course her long
struggle with drug-abuse.
'Marianne' was in truth a 'Child of The Sixties' scene.....her music, I guess the song
most remember her for was her singing of 'The Stones' classic album track 'As Tears
Go By' which charted at number '9' in 1964.
'Marianne' continued from that success with hits such as ...'Come and Stay With Me'
(Chart '4' 1965 ) followed by 'This Little Bird' (Chart '6' also 1965) then 'Summer
Nights' ( Chart '10' again 1965) though she continued to record she never quite
repeated her early chart success, one or two songs including her version of the 'Beatles'
'Yesterday' and 'Is This what I Get for Loving You' achieved lower order entries.
Of course there are several albums of 'Marianne's out there to purchase, many with
similar material to what is on-board this release.
Some of the notable tracks also on-board include her versions of ...'Reason To Believe'
'Scarborough Fair' and 'What Have They Done To The Rain'
All of Her Chart entries other than 'The Ballad of Lucy Jordon' a lower-order entry are
on-board this album.
'Marianne' did have what I'd call a laid-back perhaps casual voice, which of course has a
certain charm to it...............I would say, if you wanted just the one memory of this lady's
best remembered material.....this is the one to own.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 18 March 2015
'The Very Best of Marianne Faithfull' is a particularly strong collection of Marianne's earliest recordings made for Decca between 1964 to 1968.

The album contains every one of her singles which made the charts both in Britain and America during those fruitful four years, and so unfortunately omits her fabulous rendition of Bob Dylan's 'Blowin in the Wind' (which I know she doesn't like herself). The compiler/s did made up for this by adding her gorgeous take of the folk standard 'Scarborough Fair', Tom Paxton's 'The Last Thing On My Mind', as well as the A and B side to her 1969 single 'Something Better'. The B side was 'Sister Morphine' (a song she was to later re-record, along with her first hit single 'As Tears Go By' in the mid '80s), which she co-wrote with Mick Jagger and Keith Richards, but the whole record was taken off the shelves due to the controversial (for the time) lyrics. These two tracks don't appear on every collection, so it is good to have them on here.

For a CD that was actually released in 1989, the sound quality of these lovely recordings is actually very good, apart from on 'Something Better', but one out of 16 certainly isn't bad.

Marianne has since dismissed this era, and says that the material that she sang in the 1960s, in her capacity as a minor pop star, was ''pure cheesecake'', and well, perhaps some it was. Her albums from then certainly aren't as good as the masterpieces that she would later record when she took control of her life and career in 1979, with a new image and voice, but I do have a real soft spot for quite a few of these early recordings, which represent her routes in music.

Marianne Faithfull had a beautiful, clear voice at the start of her interesting career, and sang innocent, instantly memorable pop/folk music which have stood the test of the time. This 'Very Best of' is a great starting point to build a collection of her albums around. Detailed liner notes and chart positions are included in the useful booklet.
on 28 March 2016
A very decent collection of Marianne's Decca early material although a star deducted for missing some gems from the era that may not be well known but which are classics nontheless.
on 5 August 2014
Extremely poor recordings. Where these have been sourced from I don't know? The back of a cinema with an old Philips tape deck??!! Binned it immediately.
on 28 June 2013
I don't play this as much as my other Marianne cd's but it is a good collection of her songs.
on 3 January 2014
Although I already have another collection of her Best Recordings, which repeats some of the tracks on here, this CD is well worth having as well for the additional songs alone.

Husky, distinctive and nostalgic 60s - if you are a Faithfull fan and do not already have this collection, buy it!
on 16 April 2013
If you like Marianne's music then you will probably have this CD already but like me I heard one of her songs on the radio and it bought back so many memories I had to get her CD. Moody 60s at its best. She was brill and so is this CD.