5.0 out of 5 stars Memories are made of this........
Published on 29 July 2002 by Neil Tyrer

3.0 out of 5 stars Good background music
This is my first Durutti Column purchase. I am quite a late starter, as I am a big fan of most of the other Factory Records artists from that time. Overall I find this album is quite drifty and backgroundy. The guitar is very shoegazey which I love, but most of the tracks don't do a great deal.
Published 2 months ago by Ian A Radcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories are made of this........, 29 July 2002
Neil Tyrer (United Arab Emirates) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Return of The Durutti Column (Audio CD)
At a time when most of the music was fast loud and rough, those wonderful days of punk, the durutti column (another trendily named and highly talented manchester musician - Vini Reilly) came out with this wonderful, innovative and totally different sound - maybe too advanced for it's time, it was the forerunner of chill out........the original vinyl came in a real sandpaper sleeve (which wasn't too kind on the vinyl), and this remastered CD version, with extra tracks will take anyone back to those heady days. That isn't to say that the music is dated - it still sounds as fresh and innovative as it did way back. Produced by Martin Hannett, who tweaked the buttons for so many of the great bands of the time (sadly he's no longer with us). Well worth five stars and highly recommended!

5.0 out of 5 stars All the World's Beauty in One Note, 8 Mar 2003
This review is from: The Return of The Durutti Column (Audio CD)
I used to buy an album a week, sometimes two, with my pocket money and the bit extra, earned from washing cars and drying dishes in a restaurant. This was in the late seventies. I got to have quite a little collection of the period, thanks in the main to a record stall in the local indoor market. I still have most of these records but have little time and inclination now to play them. All except one. The one with the sandpaper sleeve.
I still get the shivers when I put this on the deck.
The opening guitar note played on The Return of the Durutti Column is not unlike that of the first piano chord from Beethoven's Kreutzer Sonata. It has, in it's complex brevity, all the beauty, sadness, sense of loss, and yet all the passion and hope, of the history and future of the world. Sketch for Summer is more than timeless. This tune HAS been around before. We have all heard it, and we hear it still: when we look at a sunset, when we lay in the tall grass, when we put our bare feet on the cool sands by the ocean and hold the hand of a loved one.
I dream of this sweet sound, and no other record comes close.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless perfection, 19 Jan 2007
This review is from: The Return of The Durutti Column (Audio CD)
Quite simply, this album has been one of my most consistently played selections since the day it was released ... it is Sunday morning music, late night music, driving music, dinner music and more for me.

When it was released it sounded very different to everything else in the punk / new wave era and it is still out there on it's own. The Factory advertising at the time said that this record would 'streamline your record collection' - this was in part an ironic comment as the early copies were in a 12" sandpaper sleeve but also a comment on how it (still) stands out from other parts of your music collection.

File under 'Essential'

4.0 out of 5 stars Great lost masterpiece, 24 April 2010
This review is from: The Return of The Durutti Column (Audio CD)
The Durutti Column is the work of guitar virtuoso Vini Reilly, aided by legendary Joy Division producer Martin Hannett. This album, released in 1980, was his first, and is the only one I am really familiar with, but it's a small hours classic. The first track, Sketch for Summer starts off with the sound of birds chirping, and leads into a rhythm track with a wonderfully spooky electric guitar echoing though it. These seemingly disparate elements mix into a hugely engaging track. This sets the template for the rest of this entirely instrumental album which follows in a similar vein, delicate electric guitar, minimal rhythm tracks and occasional keyboards. Sketch for Winter is a slight departure, featuring Reilly's guitar on its own.

(Note: vocals do feature on one of the extra tracks, Sleep Will Come, though they are unobtrusive and don't break up the flow.)

It's the perfect soundtrack to driving around on a Monday night at about 2am in the depths of winter. Imagined or otherwise. Unfortunately, it seems to be impossible to get anywhere, so grab it if you see it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good background music, 7 Oct 2014
Ian A Radcliffe (Stockport, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars It all started here, 11 Jan 2005
Mr. Jeremy Carter "jeremycarter2" (Storrington West Sussex) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Return of The Durutti Column (Audio CD)
On my God, 1979 - It seems a lifetime ago - I hadn't even gone to college & certainly wouldn't have been interested in any Factory Band - I was off to Knebworth to see Led Zeppelin!!!
Anyway it was 10 years before I heard any DC (Guitar & Other Machines) & it was love at first etc.. Scooped up what I could new & 2nd hand & this is my 3rd version of the album. One is the 'black' cover vinyl version, one a (hopefully rare & outrageously expensive) White Label vinyl version & now this CD with some extra stuff bunged on - which is for completists only I have to say.
As ever with DC, Vini Reilly had apparently done his bit in 2-3 days and cleared off, leaving Martin Hannett to insert primitive synthesiser noises & bung it all together
I quote from the DC Website 'nine simple classically-structured guitar pieces put through echoplex'.
Absolutely..... and the Mona Lisa is oil paint daubed on canvas.
A little context is required I think. 1979 - Punk is in the ascendancy (in the music press anyway) the Dinosaurs still have huge followings but the mainstream record buying public are ignoring both both & buying disco cr*p.
The DC fell through the cracks, as they have been fated to do so ever since.....
It is lovely, simple, melodic, neccesarily limited and of a whole. God only knows what the music press & public made of it back then. Utter bewilderment I would have thought.
It is always difficult to say how & why anyone not familiar with a Musicians sound should bother listening to them. You usually end up with comparisons e.g. 'Imagine Nick Drake crossed with Joy Division' which is both true & false.
It doesn't really matter I suppose, it is lovely music & it started a wobbly career which has lurched onwards over the past 25 years. I don't love everything Vini has done but I do love most of it and this is where it started so you really should have it, if only to see how it all started.
4 stars not 5 because what was to come was an improvement - still a regular on my CD player though!

3.0 out of 5 stars Superb, but not his best, 7 Jan 2004
This review is from: The Return of The Durutti Column (Audio CD)
Quite simply, no one has ever been as consistently beautiful musically as Vini Reilly's Durutti column. I first came into contact with this amazing, instantly recognisable sound on the soundtrack to 24 hour party people (a great movie by the way) in the form of the fantastic "Otis". This is the first release, however, and sounds very different from the later stuff (mostly due to the fact he was playing a les paul rather than a stratocaster) thanks as well to Martin Hannett's way with sound - he starts the album off with the sound of electronic birdsong, and like some space age troubadour, the sound of vini's guitar appears like the first rays of sun - it's an amazing experience. On al the tracks, Hannett and Reilly play a game of good cop, bad cop - "requiem for a father" being the main culprit, as Hannett's terrifying footsteps dominate the lush sound of the guitarwork completely for most of the record. My main gripe with this record is that the production gets irritating,as in the background shakes on "katherine". "Conduct" is nice, "Jazz" is fun with some nice sounding drums, but overall this album is just not as consistent as "LC" or "Another Setting", with few truly memorable moments after the first few tracks. The extended version also contains what, if there can be such a thing, is a Martin Hannett solo record, first and second aspect of the same thing. Good for curiious completists, but not very musical and quite annoying. Actually, if you want my advice, this isn't the place to start listening to this wonderful artist: try "Sex and Death" first, as it's easier to get hold of, and features a whole bunch of better tracks. That said, this album is a very solid release from one of my favourite artists, but he got much, much better.

The Return of The Durutti Column
The Return of The Durutti Column by Durutti Column (Audio CD - 1996)