Shop now Shop now Shop All Amazon Fashion Summer Savings Up to 25% Off Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop Fire Shop Kindle Oasis Listen in Prime Learn more

on 4 December 2011
Ok Im biased and yeah I love the Doobie's my only disappointment with this cd is the dance version of 'Listen to the Music' It's not needed and it sure aint my cup of tea no worries though the original version is there too. Great tracks like 'Take me in your Arms' 'Long train running' and my all time fave 'China Grove'
on 25 May 2001
One of the best albums in my collection. If I am not sure what to put on it is always a treat to listen to the likes of 'China Grove', 'Listen to the Music', 'Blackwater', South City Mid-night Lady etc. Suitable for all moods from rock to ballad. Best track :- All of them. There is not one duff track. Excellent production, super music!
VINE VOICEon 31 March 2011
What we have here are some great, classic tracks - China Grove, Long Train Running, Listen to the Music, Take Me In Your Arms, Black Water - but this is the early, driving rock Doobies, with killer slower, more acoustic tracks as a contrast. I love them but I just have never been able to get the acquired taste of Michael McDonald's vocal style on many of the other tracks.

I'm not exactly the first to mention the difference that it made when Michael McDonald was in the band and when Minute By Minute came out I bought it and wondered where the old Doobie magic had gone. That is all a matter of personal opinion - but it is good to see Tom Johnston and Pat Simmons together still playing.

I much prefer to listen to the earlier, individual albums, especially The Captain And Me and Stampede to fully experience the Doobies in all their glory, with the superb guitars, vocals from Tom and Pat. I strongly urge any newcomer to this great, American band to go for these albums.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 21 September 2015
Purchased for just 99p at a local charity shop on the strength of remembering What A Fool Believes, Listen To The Music, and Long Train Running this is a 19 track compilation (17 + 2 reworkings of LTTM and LTR). I came to many of the tracks completely fresh. A first play revealed I also knew Jesus Is Just Alright and Minute By Minute as well. This is really an album of two parts, tracks 1-10 showcasing the earlier, up tempo AOR sound, 11-17 the smooth soul sounds with Michael McDonald as leader. Many of these tracks were hits in the U.S. but not in the UK, with a smattering of album tracks thrown in which would explain my lack of knowledge . Despite that enforced change of direction mid album the whole hangs together rather well, showcasing a group worthy of being remembered. There really isn't a duff track here unless you take exception at the two updated tracks tagged onto the end, with both enhancing the respective driving beats. If you are a fan of the rockier side of Eagles this is probably going to be of interest to you. Certainly on the strength of this I'll be investigating The Doobie Brothers back catalogue more thoroughly. A fine introduction.
on 19 August 2013
I couldn't agree more with my fellow reviewer, Mike Davey.

The first ten tracks are southern rock and roll, with the odd slower number. They are taken from the albums "The Captain and Me", "Toulouse Street" and "Stampede" and the vocals of Titan Porter, Tom Johnston and Pat Simmonds. After that, we have Michael McDonald. Finally, there are two worthless "disco" versions of "Long Train Runnin'" and "Listen To The Music" - quite awful!

Michael McDonald's presence converts a hard rocking band into a middle of the road soft soul band - and that's not what the Doobie Brothers were originally about. I hate his voice - there are a million McDonalds out there - and that's why I can only find two stars for this album.

If people want the "real" Doobies, forget this or anything with McDonald in it and concentrate on The Captain And Me, Toulouse Street or Stampede and you won't be disappointed - nor will you need this.
on 22 March 2015
Excellent selection from all their albums. If you think you don't know much music by the Doobie Brothers, 1 play of this and you will be pleasantly surprised by most of the tracks which you have probably heard on the radio without knowing who the artist was.
on 28 February 2016
A really good CD. The Doobie Brothers area band that I didn't know much about or many of their tunes.....or so I thought. Great quality. All I need now is some sunshine to roll the window down and go for a summer drive!
on 13 February 2014
I'm a lifelong fan of the Doobie Brothers. Fantasic harmonies, great songs and a nostalgia trip for people (like me) of a certain age. Plus, all this and the smooth sound of Michael McDonald too - what's not to love!!
on 11 March 2013
A good collection of hits that covers all my faves. The only naff tracks are the last two re-hashed numbers with the disco beat drum tracks - easily skipped and hence the 4 star rating - otherwise brilliant!
on 17 June 2012
i LOVE THE SOUND OF THE HARMONIES AND SOPHISTICATED MUSICAL BLEND OF THE EARLY DOOBIES. IT'S WHEN MALCOLM JOINS THE GROUP THE SOUND CHANGES AND TO MY MIND BECOMES IMPOVERISHED DESPITE HIS STRIKING VALUES.