5.0 out of 5 stars Pickin' up every stitch
Published on 16 Oct 2004 by MT

3.0 out of 5 stars OK
I hadn't listened to Donovan for years. Some of these are still lovely but some haven't aged well. I've deleted some from my MP3.
Published 13 months ago by Kindle Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Pickin' up every stitch, 16 Oct 2004
This review is from: Greatest Hits ... And More (Audio CD)
When I was 18, which was about the third summer of love (1990) I had a copy of the 'Record Collector' magazine and had read about Donovan...one day (one of the hottest days that year) Radio one were playing 'Hot Summer' tracks and I heard this song that was so damn catchy - I turned to my dad and said that's Donovan even though I'd never heard this song before...turned out it was 'Sunshine Superman' the first track on this album. I knew I'd love Donovan after that.
During the 60's under the production of Micky Most, Donovan produced some of his greatest music, everything from Dylanesque folk to Beatles backed tracks such as Mellow Yellow. This album concentrates on Donovans electric heyday 66-69. You won't hear all of Donovans styles on this album (folk and jazz to name a few) but you will hear some of the gentlest, insightful tunes ever written - just listen to 'Happiness Runs' which is like a childrens nursery rhyme but somehow manages to transcend generations and be relevant on many levels - 'Happiness runs in a circular emotion, thought is but a little boat upon the sea.. Happiness Runs Happiness Runs...' This is a great representation of Donovans heyday but by no means is a definitive collection. Thankfully though all the songs are representative of Donovans best albums of the 60's except the playfull and acoustic 1967 set 'Donovan in Concert' which spins a whole new take on these songs.
Start here though and if you like what you hear then there is better to come on the American imports of Donovans 1966 and 1967 albums 'Sunshine Superman' and 'Mellow Yellow'...Don't waste your time with the UK version of 'Sunshine Superman' which for legal reasons is an abridged version of the first two albums and misses some great tracks from the full albums.
To sum up.. you can hear the embodiment of the 60's in this album, you really can hear the innocence in his voice..not fake and certainly not cashing in (there is a lot of debate about whether Donovans 'Sunshine Superman' single or the Byrds 'Eight Miles High' was the first Pyschedelic single).
If you long for a better place when you shut your eyes then this is a good starting place...but that is what it is, a starting place that isn't represntative of all of Donovans styles. Hey, you have to start someplace though and it's where I started my long appreciation of this mans brilliance.
I hope you enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mellow Fantastic, 29 Jan 2001
This review is from: Greatest Hits ... And More (Audio CD)
The most outstanding aspect's of this album are probably the the fantastic backing vocals that always feature in Donovan's studio work coupled with the top class pop production of Micky Most and the variety of styles which feature on this title, Donovan travles from his folk roots through to psycodelic funk and soul. This album provides a good taste of Donovan's mellow fantastic song Stylings, a good starting point for any budding fan.

1.0 out of 5 stars rubbish, 7 Jun 2014
Poor quality nothing like the original songs he sang accompanying music rubbish must have recorded this in a dustbin or a coffin

4.0 out of 5 stars Where's Universal Soldier though?, 16 May 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits ... And More (Audio CD)
Finally got round to adding Donovan to my eclectic music taste a while ago now with this and on the whole it is pretty good except for the omission of 'Universal Soldier'. I would have preferred to original version of 'Catch the Wind' as well. Some of the lyrics are more banal than I remembered and some of the tunes sound somewhat twee now but you have to make allowances for the time - the 60's and all that went with it. None of this has made me regret buying this CD though. The sleeve notes are nicely informative as well. Finally, it was not until recently that it dawned on me that 'Mellow Yellow' is not exactly what it seems, I bet I'm probably not alone either?

5.0 out of 5 stars Sunshine Superman !, 25 Jan 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits ... And More (Audio CD)
All Donovans great hit records from the sixties in one collection ! UK's answer to Dylan and a hippy songwriting legend !

5.0 out of 5 stars This cd is great, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Greatest Hits ... And More (Audio CD)
I love this cd it plays well and DONOVAN sings well and his songs are brilliant,great cd to buy also arrived on time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, 25 July 2013
What more can I say. Donovan's music, style and clarity shines through. One of the best from the sixties and a thoroughly nice chap as well

5.0 out of 5 stars a blast from the past, 3 July 2013
Oh to be 16 again! Well remembered songs and also not so well known. I need to check other albums with a view to more downloads. Lovely to relax to.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, 22 Jun 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy It! what a bargain., 7 Jun 2013
This review is from: Greatest Hits ... And More (Audio CD)
Loved this on the first play,some nice rarities and surprises along with the expected hits.
As a T.Rex fan,you can clearly see the influence Donovan had on Bolan's early work.
What is such a nice surprise, is the inclusion of tracks previously unavailable in the UK.
So if you think you know all there is to know about this influential artist,check this out.

Greatest Hits ... And More
Greatest Hits ... And More by Donovan (Audio CD - 2002)