Format: Audio CD|Change

on 2 December 2003
Graeme Revell's score for Alex Proyas' cult movie "The Crow" is nothing short of incredible. This CD album is, in fact, simply SO good I'm finding it hard to convey in words just how amazing the music is - without seeming like I'm going over the top.
First of all, be aware that this CD will NOT suit all soundtrack score collector's tastes. There are guitars present at times and even a short male vocal piece at the start of track 7 ("Tracking The Prey")
For goodness sake though don't let this put you off - The combination of these unexpected elements along with Revell's magical cues is superb.
The album opens with "Birth of a Legend" - a long piece which neatly introduces us to all of the main themes which are used during the rest of the album. This is then bookended by the penultimate track "Return to the Grave" which does a similar job at the end.
The music which falls in between is diverse in style, but reflects the atmosphere of the film's visual style perfectly. I have several of Revell's scores (including his own "sequel" score for The Crow:City of Angels), but this CD is surely his finest hour to date though.
If you have seen the film or are a fan of Revell's music, you will soon come to adore this album - I guarantee it.
Being hyper-critical, I would have liked the song "It Can't Rain All The Time" (written by Revell and sung by Jane Siberry) to be included on this CD, but it IS available on the "songs OST" album for the film, so make sure that you get that too, as the song is an essential part of the Revell's masterpiece.
Highly recommended? You bet it is!
-John
on 6 January 2005
After having watched the Crow, I was recently lucky to chance upon finding Graeme Revell's score to the film itself.
As any Crow fan will tell you the music was an integral part to the original film, from backing the dark city with the eerie mysterious music, through to the calm guitar part where Eric Draven/The Crow (played by Brandon Lee, R.I.P) plays a guitar on the roof of his apartment building.
Don't think that all the tracks on here are slow and emotional, for Devil's Night and Inferno are faster and have one hell of a great sound, and also happen to be two of my favourite tracks on the score, along with Birth of the Legend.
Simply put, this score is awesome and a great cd to have in your collection, especially if you are a fan of The Crow, and remember...
"It can't rain all the time!"
on 18 October 2005
I must admit that when I first saw The Crow, I didn't exactly remember the score but then on repeated viewings, I realised the score isn't 'exactly' designed that way. What we have here is a very interesting soundtrack that is 'supernatural' in every sense of the word. As with most of Revell's scores, it's very low key and is noticed on a subconscious level. We have the Crow theme: a very brief elegy on strings, 'Remembrance': the only real recurring theme in the soundtrack for Eric's past life, touches of a Saxophone for Albrecht, relentless percussion for the chases and vocals for tragedy. Although the combination sounds bizarre, it really is fascinating. There is even the incorporation of Eric's song "It can't rain all the time" into one of the tracks and it inexplicably works a treat. The result is tender, spooky, unsettling and hopeful all at once. It also gets bonus points for its sequencing (ending on the sadly atmospheric 'Last Rites' is a nice touch). Listening to the CD really demonstrates the thought Revell has put behind it. If you are a fan of atmospherics, then this is a must, otherwise discover this fairly unique disc.
on 15 September 2001
I am a huge fan of film scores , but never have I heard one that echoes a film so completely. Even if you only ever buy one classical music CD it must be this one . I still get goose bumps and I bought it in 1995 !!!!!
P.S. if you enjoy it check out the score for the sequel , also done by Revell.
on 19 November 2000
THE CROW is an impressive film both in sight and sound. The impressive soundtrack featuring bands like Helmet, NIN, and Stone Temple Pilots contributes greatly to this; but much of the films power is given to it by Graeme Revell. The score he composed for this film is a true masterpiece. It captures and conveys the mood of the story with absolute perfection. Five stars.
on 22 April 2016
One of the finest sountracks ever.

Ok, it doesn't match the choreography "once upon a time in the west" or "a few dollars more". There's not the sensual sexuality of "Nikita", or the post-modern melancholy of "Blade runner". Or the speed of "Run lola run". Or the urgency of "IP man". Or the ostentatious flashiness of innumerable James Bond soundtracks.

But who cares anyway? This is soundtrack that tears at the heartstrings from the very first track. An audio tour-de-force that steep the film in raw emotion.

The sadness of "Birth of the Legend" and "Pain and Retribution". The raw anger of "Devils Night". And the truly awesome butt-kicking plaintive rage that is the guitar intro to "Inferno"; a true scream of anger to the heavens if ever I heard one.

And finishing off with the heart-rending mix of joy and pain that are "Return to the grave" and "Last rites".
on 30 May 2001
When I first saw The Crow, I sat silent for almost an hour after - although the film itself was excellent, the music score had almost as great an effect as the rest of the film did. If you liked the film, you should buy this soundtrack, it can create the same atmosphere the film did.
Also, beware - the "Pearl Harbour" trailer appears to use some of this soundtrack, and completely "abuses" the context in which it was originally used.
on 7 November 2015
I am happy with my order but the side B is cracking a lot, not sure it is only mine or all the other copies as well, if it is the same on the other prints than I assume somehow the dust got into the printer, this is one of my most favorite score so I am a little bit disappointed because of the Side B but overall I am happy. The inside sleeve was a surprise as that is the original cover, so that is very nice :)
on 4 December 2015
Beautiful vinyl, however it has an awful lot of surface noise on both sides, seems like something went wrong with the print. I love the inner sleeve though, featuring the original album artwork.
on 22 April 2016
Thanks again for the speedy delivery cheers! I rally love this score my other one was cutting out so this is a replacement happy days!