5.0 out of 5 stars Capercaillie at their finest., 18 Oct 2002
This review is from: To The Moon (Audio CD)
How do you describe the music of Capercaillie? well that's a good question! You might just call it folk and have done with it, but that would only be a small part of it, with its roots embedded in ancient Gaelic culture but with very intelligent & contemporary lyrics (as in 'Gods Alibi' - a song about holy war) and with a slightly poppy edge to it, plus various other influences you might be getting somewhere near!
This album contains Capercaillie's usual diverse mix, from the fast paced 'Claire in Heaven' & ‘The Crooked Mountain' - one of my favourite's, to the beautiful 'Nil si I ngra' and 'The Price of Fire' in which you appreciate just how rich and beautiful Karen Mathesons voice is, and the more traditional sounding 'Rob Roy Reels' (as used on the film.)
It also contains some great instrumentals too 'La Paella Grande' and the "Eastern Reel' are fantastic!
To the moon has to be one of my favourite Capercaillie albums as it captures completely the spirit of their music, for anyone who hasn't yet sampled the delights of Capercaillie then this is the perfect album to start with, if you are a fan, then this is a must have album!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Capercaillie's best albums., 6 May 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: To The Moon (Audio CD)
This is definitely one of my favourite Capercaillie albums mainly because of the haunting Ailein Duinn (a song that instantly brings down your blood pressure!). Fans of Rob Roy will know that it was on the soundtrack of the film as were the Rob Roy Reels which are also on this CD. There is a very strong selection of songs on this CD, the best being Claire in Heaven, La Paella Grande and God's Alibi. This is the band at their best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Terrific and sublime. This is one of my favourite albums., 22 July 2006
film fan (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: To The Moon (Audio CD)
Every time I listen to this album, I come over feeling great and relaxed. All the songs on here are simply superb and the production is spot on. In my view, Capercaillie have never sounded better and also this is breathtakingly sensational.

The opening track, 'To The Moon', starts off slowly then builds to a crescendo in the middle up to the end where it trails off beautifully into 'Claire In Heaven'. I've found it very difficult to pick a favourite but I would have to say that my favourite tracks on here are 'Nil Si InGra', 'The Price of Fire', 'Eastern Wheel' (what a terrific instrumental piece) and 'Why Won't You Touch Me'. Karen Matheson's voice is so smooth and silky throughout the tracks on this breathtaking album.

There is a wonderful mix of Gaelic traditional stuff and English speaking songs on this album and some brilliant instrumentals including my favourite 'Eastern Wheel'. I don't think that Capercaillie have ever sounded so serene and I think that this album is full of magical moments that whenever I stick it into my CD player, I feel like I've been put under a spell.

This is an absolute gem and a peach of an album. For chilling out or even just to listen to, this is a definite must have. Just sit back and let the music and the magical sound of Capercaillie wash over you like a wave on a beach.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the moon...bliss and back!!, 24 Aug 2014
This review is from: To The Moon (MP3 Download)
I just bought this for the second time. My CD is in the car and jumps a little at one bit, it must have got scratched. I bought it years ago and just about wore it out I played it so many times. I've bought this one to put on my iPod. I loved this CD the very first time I listened to it all those years ago, and have still never tired of it. Capercaillie are just as good now as they were then.

I have listened to it another couple of dozen times now, and still play my scratched one in the car (hardly noticeable). BUY IT!!! You'll love it!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good album., 29 Jan 2014
G. Malloy (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To The Moon (Audio CD)
No complaints for the second hand price I paid! Great melodies and tunes. I've always liked Clannad and these are similar.

5.0 out of 5 stars To the Moon, 21 Jan 2014
KDB (manchester england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To The Moon (MP3 Download)
this is one of capercaillie's best albums, music from this recording was used in the scottish movie Rob Roy, and certainly added a certain scottish character to the movie. if you liked the movie this album is well worth a listen.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant album, 25 Oct 2013
M. J. Bradbury "progman" (walsall,staffs) - See all my reviews
This review is from: To The Moon (Audio CD)
Well Ive loved Clannad for decades, and if you do too, then this brilliant Scottish group take things one step furthur. The arrangements and songs ooze with quality and atmosphere. Traditional instruments sit alongside synths in a perfect marriage. The lead singer has a superbly crystal clear voice, and overall sound is modern, upbeat and covers the whole sound spectrum giving a huge sound on hi-fi systems. You might play this to impress your friends, but you'll end up impressed yourself too. World class.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is just so great., 4 Aug 2013
Alison Towers - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: To The Moon (MP3 Download)
I love Gaelic Clannad style music and this group was highly recommended by a close relative. I love it. The female singer has a wonderful voice, deep and sweet and melodic. The tunes and the rhythms everything you would wish for. This is a fabulous group, and lovely album, and I am so glad I bought it, it will be played constantly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: To The Moon (Audio CD)
Just stocking up my ipod with old favourites - as ever superb; I just play it over and over again

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Album, 19 Feb 2013
This review is from: To The Moon (Audio CD)
This is good, maybe one of their best, only problem for me was the sound was too bright for this type of music, wish it was more like Altan's Harvest Storm.

To The Moon
To The Moon by Capercaillie (Audio CD - 2008)