5.0 out of 5 stars Dated but still fantastic
Published on 26 Jun. 2008 by S. Cobb

3.0 out of 5 stars ok
Must say, not as good as I remember. guess it will end up at the back of cd box .
Published 24 months ago by angela hodson

5.0 out of 5 stars Dated but still fantastic, 26 Jun. 2008
This review is from: Breaking Glass (Audio CD)
I'm giving this CD 5 stars as it is an excellent time capsule, apart from Will You there probably isn't another song in here that would be a hit today but is an excellent example of poppy punk/new wave music from 1980. I remember seeing the film in the mid 80's and buying the album the very next day, loved it and still do today. For 3 pounds you can't go wrong (the sax solo on Will You is worth that on its own)

It's a shame that there is no current DVD of the film as it creates a good feel for the environment in which this album was written. There is an angst in the more punky songs like Big Brother and Blackman which for me make these stand out tracks and the change of tempo in Who Needs It still excites me 20 years on as the song winds itself up into a crescendo for the second half.

I only know the first three Hazel O'Connor albums and although I like the others but this is a stand out, I highly recommend it to anyone even if it has dated.

4.0 out of 5 stars 80's through and through, 11 Dec. 2006
Ian Kelly "ian24287" (North West England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Glass (Audio CD)
Top grounbreaking album from the era of extravagance. Hazel is on top form in what is possibly her best album. You can forgive the quirky production and immature lyrics because this album is top drawer early electro pop. The drums and sax transform a basic synth album into a great cult album that sounds as fresh today as the day it was recorded. Teenagers of the day loved Hazel and Phil Daniels portrayals in the film. We only wish the film would come available on DVD.

5.0 out of 5 stars Still sounds good today!, 29 April 2010
FAMOUS NAME (UNITED KINGDOM) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Breaking Glass (Audio CD)
Who can forget Hazel O'Connor's fabulous performances of: 'Eighth Day', 'D-Days' and 'Will You' which were all Top Ten smashes! She's a great Performer with a voice instantly recognisable, sounds like no-one else I can think of, and so versatile! She can sound like anything; from 'punky' to 'ballardy'!

You'll find two of these great Songs included here on this classic Album from 1980 - along with some pretty good material to go with them.

This Album still sounds great after all these years!

A truly modest lady who doesn't believe she had such an impact on the eighties - oh but how wrong she is...

Great!

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless...sax it out!, 19 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Breaking Glass (Audio CD)
Breaking Glass - one truly superb album/soundtrack for the film of the same name/1980/Total playing time 41.57

Track 6 : the 4.49 minute Will You?, in particular is another of those tracks that makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end and whisks me back in time.

What a lady...what a voice!

'.....it's getting kind of late now
I wonder if you'll stay now, stay now, stay now, stay now
Or will you just politely say goodnight...'

And as the sax plays out...we wonder on?

5.0 out of 5 stars A Memorable Album, 25 Dec. 2008
M. Dowden (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breaking Glass (MP3 Download)
Originally released in 1980 when the film came out, this album is still great to listen to and is full of unforgettable songs. I admit I was still quite young and I was immediately in love with Hazel O’Connor. Indeed Ms O’Connor is still going strong and is still touring all these years later. This album was a big hit at the time, and spawned a handful of hit singles as well, bombarding the charts.

With its mixture of Electro-Pop plus traditional instruments this makes for quite an eclectic mix. It is quite interesting to note that the tour of this album had Duran Duran as the supporting act, and gave them the big break they were looking for. Listening to this and other albums from this decade reminds me how lucky my generation was with some absolutely great music.

This album, which is memorable and fantastic to listen to, is ideal for fighting through the crowds, especially if you have the daily commute to contend with. Put your headphones on, jack up the sound and stomp through the crowds.

4.0 out of 5 stars My Punk Period, 21 Mar. 2013
Derek Hunt "deke" (Cornwall UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Breaking Glass (MP3 Download)
I actually went through a strange 80's period, where I had multi coloured hair and rags to match: No pins in my face though.This album, as with the film, brought back some great memories, and when I am feeling just a little uptight; this music gets me on the level and expunges my violent noltions

5.0 out of 5 stars How one forgets, 28 Aug. 2009
This review is from: Breaking Glass (MP3 Download)
Hazel O'Connor is one of the most underestimated singers and writers ever produced in this country. Sadly she was boxed in the same pigeonhole as Toyah, who had infinately less talent but broader appeal because she was a bit like the girl next door. Hazel always looked like the girl from the other (bad) side of town. Her debut album "Breaking Glass" contains classic track after classic track and has not aged with time - in fact it sounds better now than I can remember. Raunchy anarchistic songs sit comfortably alongside touching ballards and futuristic themes.

Go and listen - you will not be disappointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely essential! The film, the album, and the lady herself!, 22 Feb. 2015
R. Wood "ryecroftwood2" - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breaking Glass (Audio CD)
After being introduced to Hazel O’Connor, my curiosity with the legendary singer and her work grew into genuine appreciation. I saw/read the overwhelming acclaim to the 1980 cult-classic Breaking Glass and its soundtrack and thus decided to experience both accordingly.

The film itself is one of those things that I immediately recommend to anyone and everyone. It’s truly an essential masterpiece, with Hazel herself proving very-much the leading lady. Not only due to her award-winning performance, but also her writing/performing of Breaking Glass’ soundtrack. Watching the film first (which I recommend before purchasing this album) allowed me to wholly understand and appreciate this album’s variety and consistency.

Truly, the positive reception to Breaking Glass’ music is certainly justified. There’s no such thing as a bad song on this album. “Writing on the Wall”, “Monsters in Disguise”, “Who Needs It”, “Will You?” and (of course!) “Eighth Day” are simply classic in a virtually perfect soundtrack with one great song after another. Hazel’s vocals and lyrics remain impeccable, with her talent continuing to shine to this day.

The eighties-atmosphere still shines, through, and that’s a great thing. The beat, the ambience and emotion are all the mark of excellence. For life-long fans of Hazel O’Connor, Breaking Glass (both film and soundtrack) remain as perfect now as they did back in 1980. For newcomers (like myself who had the pleasure of seeing Hazel perform live last year), this album is the perfect place to be exposed to some of the greatest music ever in British History. Truly, truly wonderful.

5.0 out of 5 stars CONTAINS THE MOST SUBLIME SAX SOLO SINCE BAKER STREET, 13 Sept. 2012
HAYLING BOOK & MUSIC VENUE (follow us on Face... (26 Rails Lane Hayling Island) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Breaking Glass (Audio CD)
The Breaking Glass soundtrack was legendary when I was growing up and I have owned it in various formats down the years.

Yesterday, I re-bought it for the umpteenth time and skipped straight to tracks six, a song called 'Will You'. For the uninitiated, this song contains the most beautiful vocal delivery and is backed by one of the greatest contemporary saxophone solos ever - it gives me goose bumps every time! Think 'Baker Street' and you are on the right track.

The album as a whole is terrific, conjuring up apocolyptic images as we are treated to some highly dated but no less enjoyable Eighties-style punk. The songs are clever, deeply catchy and instantly likeable. This album has been part of my life since its first release and will continue to have a special place in my music collection.

4.0 out of 5 stars Memories!, 21 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Breaking Glass (Audio CD)
I bought this with the memory of sneaking into the cinema to see the film when I was underage!
The soundtrack has aged a bit since then but still holds some powerful tunes, with a couple of classics in there.

Breaking Glass
Breaking Glass by Hazel O'Connor (Audio CD - 1995)