5.0 out of 5 stars 10cc Strikes Again
Not soon after the release of 1974's SHEET MUSIC came 1975's The Original Soundtrack, and once again 10cc took leaps and bounds re-defining rock and pop. Not only does this album have the 3 million times played on radio (1995 US Citation) "I'm Not In Love" - which sounds like what most bands would try to do in the 80's, it has the pre-Bohemian Rhapsody...
Published on 22 Aug 2001 by Mr. S. St Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Overblown Theatre
With the Original Soundtrack, 10CC seemed to be in danger of disappearing up their own exhaust. Perhaps the ideas were wearing a bit thin. Perhaps they were struggling to find impish dazzling lyrics. So in answer to any problems they came up with a bit of overblown theatre in Une Nuit A Paris and then followed it with their most loved piece I'm Not in Love.

I...
Published 6 months ago by Mr. Peter Steward

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great 10cc album ..., 3 Oct 2009
Mr. S. C. Baker "the-professor" (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
I love this album, as I love all of their albums. But why does no-one alse mention the briliant song 'Film of my Love'. This is the track that I always return to. It is 10cc at their cleverest and best, and most surely one of the 'catchiest' songs ever recorded. Although a little more upbeat, it is equal to I'm Not In Love' in every department.

4.0 out of 5 stars Something for everyone, 29 Oct 2010
10cc albums give something for everyone. Bittersweet lyrics going with stunning arrangements to make wonderful love songs. Witty lyrics that make you smile and feel clever as you got the joke. Musicianship you can listen to and enjoy. It isn't spontaneous it is meticulously planned music, but it manages to hit all the right spots. Like all great music you can listen to it and hear different things eCh time. Original Soundtrack and How Dare You are their two greatest achievements. Perhaps Original Soundtrack just shades it, but next week I might change my mind. Now if they were a double album........

5.0 out of 5 stars So many works of genius!, 13 July 2013
M. Burville - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Absolutely fantastic album. I love 'Blackmail', so witty and funny - typical of the band. Not so keen on 'Une Nuit a Paris' but can't put my finger on why. I have read that it was intended by Godley and Creme to take up the whole of one side. I'm glad Stewart and Gouldman vetoed that. Room for more brilliant songs. A must have album by any criteria. I could throttle Godley and Creme!

5.0 out of 5 stars They dont make music like this anymore., 3 Dec 2012
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
10cc are probably one of the most underrated bands ever and this album just showcases what a great quartet they were.

Une nuit a Paris - probably what Queen were trying to do - but this adds a subtly and tragic overtone that they never quite managed with Bo Rap. (as brilliant as it is) The play is read out for you in tragic circumstances and the music encompasses the tension and feeling of despair that surrounds all the characters in the "monologue" that is laid out for you. Watch that "leather umbrella"!!

Oh did I say it has one of the best love songs - EVER! ???

"I'm not in Love" - makes me cry every time I think of my wife. Beautiful song that only 10cc ever got perfectly right.
(And it's been covered many of times.)
Eric's vocals overlay what is probably one of the most complete songs anyone is ever likely to hear. Sheer genius.
Before digital recording I like to add. So everything was done on tape - over and over again to get "that effect"!

Blackmail is my favourite song by miles - it's sharp witty lyrics are criss crossed by a musical combination that is rarely heard - ever. Great guitar work, sustain - oh yes, the bass pulses through and it's all just so perfect! I love it. Every time I hear it I want to pick up my bass and jam along. Brilliant stuff - have you read the News of the World lately?
My local radio station recently played this in reference to the Duchess of Cambridge's topless photos - priceless!!

If you had the original album "the second sitting for the last supper" was your next song.
I remember turning the album over and listening to the original vinyl recording. The last song ran into the next. Questioning what was accepted and to a great piano boogie woogie piano solo only Eric Stewart could pull off. (The only reason I decided to learn an instrument)

"Brand New Day" and "Flying Junk" are probably the weakest songs but they are still very accomplished."Flying Junk" thumps through much more strongly when you give it a listen. I enjoy the licks and runs which seem painfully slow but add to the tension when the lyrics are added. Some how feels a bit disjointed - but I like it. Duh - daaaa!!!!

"Life is a Minestrone" a fun upbeat song that is pointless but relevant at the same time. I really like the fade-in and the visualisation the lyrics convey? What the ????
Great thumping tune that is definitely a party tune in the right audience.
- served up with Parmesan cheese.

"The film of my Love" - probably the weakest song of all but strangely likeable. The lyrics are typical 10cc - quirky and off the wall, but the tune somehow doesn't fit. I remember listening to this on the radio when the album was first released and then thought what??? but now, I somehow enjoy it's simplicity and cha - cha cha feel.

In summary - I can listen to this album all the time, it's simply great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 1 Nov 2014
grat

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 18 Sep 2014
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Dispatched very quickly and exactly as described. Thank you.

3.0 out of 5 stars Overblown Theatre, 28 May 2014
Mr. Peter Steward "petersteward" (Norwich, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)

I have never been a fan of the latter but can see understand the clever way in which this piece of mood music has been put together. I do like Brand New Day but Life is a Ministrone is contrived with that awful line "death is a cold lasagne suspended in deep freeze. The Film of My Love is an enjoyable music hall style piece and the album wraps up with the very laid back Good News. For all that there is something missing from this album and I've never quite been able to put my finger on just what.

3.0 out of 5 stars "That's the way the croissant crumbles", 9 Mar 2012
Nicholas Casley (Plymouth, Devon, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Being born in 1965, I only came to appreciate 10cc when their glory days were over. But purchasing this CD makes me challenge whether they were really so top-notch after all. Certainly `I'm Not In Love' merits the full five stars, and indeed the song stood as a kind of personal soundtrack in my latter teens, but there is not much else on this album that inspires.

Sure, `One Night In Paris', in its musical-operatic format, is a witty kind of `Bohemian Rhapsody' that predates Queen's own; and the song `Flying Junk' has some inventive sounds; but ultimately the band suffer from their sheer breadth of styles. It is difficult to pigeon-hole the band. Not only do they do rock, but they also contrive to do ballads, cabaret, as well as musicals. But, alas, that breadth also includes album fodder (`Blackmail', `The Second Sitting of the Last Supper').

But all (or mostly all) of their songs are parodic and tongue-in-cheek. Yes, the lyrics are clever and witty, but the lack of seriousness ultimately devalues their work. For me, comedy - whether in film, art, or music - remains mere light relief from the daily grind. Seen or heard once, unless profound, it rarely merits a second hearing.

So, sorry guys, it's just their (admittedly brilliant) `Greatest Hits' CD for me. As they say, "That's the way the croissant crumbles." I await the hate-mail.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Original Soundtrack
The Original Soundtrack by 10cc (Audio CD - 1996)