5.0 out of 5 stars 10cc Strikes Again
Published on 22 Aug 2001 by Mr. S. St Thomas

3.0 out of 5 stars Overblown Theatre
With the Original Soundtrack, 10CC seemed to be in danger of disappearing up their own exhaust. Perhaps the ideas were wearing a bit thin. Perhaps they were struggling to find impish dazzling lyrics. So in answer to any problems they came up with a bit of overblown theatre in Une Nuit A Paris and then followed it with their most loved piece I'm Not in Love.

I...
Published 3 months ago by Mr. Peter Steward

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars 10cc Strikes Again, 22 Aug 2001
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Not soon after the release of 1974's SHEET MUSIC came 1975's The Original Soundtrack, and once again 10cc took leaps and bounds re-defining rock and pop. Not only does this album have the 3 million times played on radio (1995 US Citation) "I'm Not In Love" - which sounds like what most bands would try to do in the 80's, it has the pre-Bohemian Rhapsody rockoperettas "Une Nuit A Paris" and "Brand New Day". The marvellous "Life Is A Minestrone", and perhaps my favourite song on this album "Flying Junk". This band was too good I think for many, which is why you don't hear about them as much as you should. They possessed two of the best singers (Kevin Godley & Eric Stewart) and 4 of the best writers in Britain --- 10cc. They survived glam rock and punk very very well intact. No gimmicks -- just incredible music.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10CC Original Soundtrack, 4 Aug 2005
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Ratings only go to five stars? I LOVE this album!
Every band worth its salt has a defining moment in its career. 10cc had several - and this album is the zenith of them all. Freed from the clutches of Jonathan King - musically - the change of pace from the previous studio album "Sheet Music" was marked, yet it's unmistakeably 10cc.
Most will know "I'm not in Love" as the lead track but it is a real struggle to find any track that is less than excellent on this album. And don't forget all those intro' and fade overdubs on the track were done on 1970's equipment, like running the space shuttle, with a full compliment of tiles, on a pack of D size batteries.
"Une nuit @ Paris" (Godley and Creme in full technicolour), "Blackmail" - what a track - "Brand New Day" and the superb pastiche "Film of my love" - all 11/10 efforts included here...and there's more.
There was only one more "proper" 10cc album after this - "How dare you" - actually, that's not fair because the 10 out of Ten and Windows in the jungle phase wasn't bad - but to have any real understanding of pop rock in the 1970's, you need to own this album. I have three (legit) copies...but don't be caught with less than one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Star performance from a Ten Star Band, 11 Nov 2000
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
A Classic work of art by a witty and articulate band. The creative writing of Graham,Eric, Lol and Kevin is the pinnacle of their careers. The timeless classic 'Im Not in Love' is superb and deserves to be in everyones record collection. A witty classic 'One Night in Paris' will never be forgotten once listened to. I am a fan of all 10cc work and this is the best, the CD should be preserved as it will live for ever. A five star performance from a 10 star band.

5.0 out of 5 stars Genius, 27 April 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
I remember listening to this as a lad, pulling it out of my dads record collection on a regular basis, after buying it on CD last week, it still sounds great all these years on. Witty lyrics accompanied by awe inspiring music. Une Nuit A Paris rock opera at it's best, Life Is A Minestrone brilliant. I'm glad I invested money buying this classic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect....., 1 Sep 2007
M. Mackinnon "celsis" (Carrigaline, Ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
This is one of those albums that just grabs you. Absolutely superb lyrics and musicianship although the jokes are a wee bit hard to get for the uninitiated!

Seriously up there among the best ever albums.

5.0 out of 5 stars The original 1975 classic, 19 Sep 2005
D. J. H. Thorn "davethorn13" (Hull, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
10cc had already hit their stride before this album, so they deserve credit for stretching the boundaries of their genius even further. Like many, I fell in love with "I'm Not In Love" first, awed by both the quality of the song and the ethereal multi-voice arrangement behind it. I then proceeded to fall in love with every other song in turn and I still think of it as having a hierarchy of greatness: no. 2, "Life Is A Minestrone"; no. 3 "The Second Sitting For The Last Supper"...etc. Each track is distinct. Some, such as "Blackmail", are unique.
As for the ambitious, three-part "Un Nuit A Paris", I read a claim that it was considered as a possible single and that it influenced Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody" which was recorded several months later. Regardless of the truth of this, I'm glad it wasn't released and I'm sick of hearing "Bohemian Rhapsody".
More to the point, if you want guaranteed quality pop, this album will do the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pop music at its best., 20 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
Quite simply, 10cc at the height of their game.
Buy it, and if you have not heard this before you will be very pleasantly surprised.
The sound quality is excellent, and after listening to the whole album again after some 30 plus years, when I purchased the original on vinyl it still sounds fresh, innovative, and interesting. A testament to the skill and musicianship of the band. We all know the favourites, I'm not in love, and Life is a minestrone, but Une nuit in Paris is a masterpiece in 3 tracks. Blackmail is also a cracker.
This really took me back all those years and evoked some fond memories.
Rock on 10cc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic 10cc, 24 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
A truly fantastic album, still relevant today. What a great band they were, talent to spare and years ahead of their time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless quality!, 19 July 2014
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
My own personal musical journey began with the purchase of Rock On by David Essex when I was 12! Things could only get better! The music I grew up with was glam, Slade, T.Rex, Sweet....I worshipped them all! But there were also two other groups I couldn't get out of my head. One was ELO and the other 10cc.Their songs even to my young ears seemed to have so much more about them, a quality I was too young to appreciate. I'm 54 now, and Out of the Blue by Elo and this are two of my enduring and loved recordings. Music of this quality is timeless. I still listen to my glam records too, but that's MY business!

5.0 out of 5 stars Undoubtedly an ESSENTIAL 70s album..., 23 Sep 2011
John J. Martinez (Chicago, Illinois, United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Original Soundtrack (Audio CD)
I don't say this about too many albums, but this is undoubtedly a seminal work by one of the most creative rock groups from the 1970's. This was recorded at the writing and songwriting peak of the team of British duo Godley and Creme. Why buy this, you say? The answer is the MUSIC, of course! This was their Everest, without a doubt, before their well-documented sad self-implosion after the release of their next album only a year later, "How Dare You."

Now for the music:

"One Nuit In Paris," is as strange as it is brilliant. I am DREAMING of the day when someone makes a long-form music video out of this. The entire story is told in three very unusual vignettes, but you think you'd been there all night yourself - and maybe you wished you were there with them...

"I'm Not In Love" is as bittersweet and beautiful as any song's potential can get to evoke those memories best left in the attic of one's broken heart. With this one song they captured the quiet confusion, frustration and anger of being alone, and it can be played 50 years from now and will still have that arrow to the heart honesty.

"Blackmail," is a brilliant example of how fame, sex and especially the delicately balanced trust of others who hold your fame in their hands can be tipped over for greed.

"The Second Sitting For The Last Supper" is a cool rocker that inflicts both guilt and freedom at the same time.

"Brand New Day" slows the album down a bit, and is the most 70's sounding song, but it works - and it's the most Queen-sounding for it's time, but then again, maybe Queen "borrowed" that 3 part harmony in "Bohemian Rhapsody" from 10CC? Listen for yourself...

"Flying Junk" is a short song that leaps right out of the box swinging, and reminds you that the bad men still exist, and apparently they live pretty well!

"Life Is A Minestrone" is so full of wonderful nonsense that it makes you wish it was you sipping tea with Minnie Mouse at the Taj Mahal by the end of it.

The last song, "The Film Of My Love," is a bit sappy and a little goofy, but it reminds me so much of what Monty Python might have been if they wrote music at the time - it's absurdist, sincere in it's fantasy, and this could have been played as part of the soundtrack in one of their movies.

(For the recent remaster, they have included two bonus tracks - "Channel Swimmer," an odd almost Beatle-like ditty that was the B-side single to "I'm Not In Love," and the last song is "Good News," another B-side, which is very very odd, and light and airy.)

I give the music, import packaging (which includes liner notes and lyrics!) a 100% 5-star review. Go out and get this as soon as possible, you'll be glad you did!

PLEASE NOTE: There are several versions of 10CC:TOS out there, BEWARE of BOTH of the early Mercury versions of this album on CD, they are mixed WRONG nd the results are awful! Luckily for me I own the 1998 MFSL Gold disc, and together with the remaster you will have a lot of original cover art, additional info + of course lyrics and the additional tracks.

In summation, you can apply any of these songs to anything, and it pretty much works. 10cc was a legendary creative force of the early 70's, and this album cements it - this is their cornerstone work. I have loved this album since I first heard it on a scratchy 33 1/3 record back in late 1978 or 79, and have never stopped listening to it since. As a whole it inspires, makes me reminisce, and most of all I can toe-tap along to their dry wit, their humor, and their style.

Yes, this album has STYLE!

(Thanks for reading and please check out my other reviews online!)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Original Soundtrack
The Original Soundtrack by 10cc (Audio CD - 1996)