4.0 out of 5 stars Great album, shame about the remaster
This is my favourite 10CC album, full of catchy, witty and rather disturbing songs. "Don't Hang Up" is particularly moving as is the better known "I'm Mandy, Fly Me". The album version of "Art For Art's Sake" is longer than the single edit and all the better for it.

Unfortunatly the remastering on this reissue is poor with a distinct lack of presence and top...
Published on 13 Aug. 2007 by Paul Sherwin

1.0 out of 5 stars Pretty much the same muddy quality mastering as the Universal ...
Disappointing indeed. Advertised as Japanese Remaster with Bonus Tracks (Single mixes of 'Mandy & 'Art). Not so just the B side extra same as the awful Universal release. Pretty much the same muddy quality mastering as the Universal as well. Nice artwork though. My advice would b look for the late 80s German Mercury release.
Published 6 months ago by robert elford

5.0 out of 5 stars Laugh ? I also cried, 20 Aug. 2005
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
I remember being an ardent 10cc fan way back in the 70's. I have recently acquired 'Don't Hang Up' on CD and all the reasons for admiring this gang of four came flooding back. The final album produced by the original four, peaks with clever lyrics, some very innovative arrangements and the musical genius use of the 'Gizmo', to produce guitar sounds you will not hear anywhere else. (Later albums by Godley and Creme excepted). The wit of these four musicians will always bring a smile to your face, their ability to write about sensative subjects and the breadth of their combined knowledge of life situations makes this still a must have album(oops sorry) CD in your collection. Plus it has my all time favourite 'I'm Mandy'(and that wonderful sample from 'Clockwork Creep' as the intro), possibly the cleverest mix of word and music ever to make it into the singles chart. Now I'm off to the car to play the CD at full volume again!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Just can't wait..., 18 Mar. 2002
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
I bought this album on vinyl when it first came out but sadly, with the passage of time and many playings, it wore out. A friend gave me her copy but by then I no longer had a record player.
I am delighted to find I can now get this on CD and I cannot wait to reacquaint myself with this masterful album. With it's highly polished production, quirky lyrics and off the wall storylines it cannot fail to please - have you ever tried to explain I'm Mandy Fly Me in a few words ? Boy sees poster with Air Hostess, Boy gets on flight, Plane crashes into sea, Boy nearly gets eaten by sharks, Air Hostess rescues him by walking on water, Air Hostess is then herself (presumably) eaten by shark, Boy then finds himself back in front of poster contemplating life the universe and everything...or howabout the heartbreaking story behind 'Don't Hang Up', or the amazing and over the top 'Headroom' about - well you'll have to buy it, but some of it goes 'Give me some headroom, just a little bit of legroom, I need a ballroom, up against the wall room, I need the rest oh Lord I need a rest'!
It also has some of my favourite lyrics, for example in Rock and Roll Lullably you get -
'It's daybreak in the land of nod, so get to sleep you little sod'... Probably my all time number one but there are loads.
And finally a fact for all you sad persons out there like me - the bit at the beginning of I'm Mandy Fly Me - you know 'Ohhhhhh no you'll never get me up in one of these again, cos' what comes upppppppp, must come, down down down down down'
comes from another of their songs on Sheet Music (available on the double CD Two from 10CC) called Clockwork Creep about how a time bomb on a jumbo jet feels. Bizarre, but fantastic !

4.0 out of 5 stars More than just 'The best single........, 14 Sept. 2010
Neil Bilbe - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
I think 10cc are to most people the band that had that single I'm Not In Love; well here is proof that they were a band with great versatility, and far more than that and Rubber Bullets/Life Is a Minestrone/Dreadlock Holiday, as good as these may have been. I mean for all of [...] this proves the point, if this album had just two tracks: I'm Mandy Fly Me and Art For Art's Sake it would be value for money par excellence. Yes it is a bit '70s but all the same showcases what an inventive band 10cc were.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just like the girl in Dr. No., 17 Oct. 2012
Rooksby (United KIngdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
Cons: the mastering leaves a lot to be desired, the lyrics & a large portion of Hipgnosis' original (gatefold) sleeve design have been omitted, & the "extensive" sleeve notes are adequate at best.

Pros: it's arguably 10cc's most accomplished album. Need I say more?

Hearing How Dare You? again after stowing my vinyl copy away in my parents' loft many, many years ago, I was immediately struck by how w.e.i.r.d. a record it often is. What on Earth is going on during "I Wanna Rule the World", for example? This was the last 10cc l.p. to feature Kevin Godley & Lol Creme, & it does occasionally sound like their contributions have been beamed in from an entirely different record - not that this is a problem per se.

One the finest singles bands to emerge from the early 1970s ("Art for Art's Sake" & the peerless "I'm Mandy Fly Me" are both included here), 10cc's albums were always a far more challenging, academic proposition. How Dare You? frequently sounds like hip psychoanalysts experimenting with rock music - impressive, amusing, but often remote & alienating. That said, even the most "troubling" sections (Godley & Creme's generally) grow on you eventually.

4.0 out of 5 stars Vinyl Memories Revived, 13 May 2011
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
Knowing its derivation, I always thought that 10 cc was a little ambitious for their group name, but the music on this L.P. was definitely worth at least an 8 cc rating. OK, so there's a couple of average tracks here, but the way that the title tune leads so beautifully into 'Lazy Ways' (another fantastic track) is worth the purchase price on it's own. And with 'I'm Mandy, Fly Me' on it as well - classics!

5.0 out of 5 stars How Dare You, 25 Jan. 2011
Alan Martin (SOUTHPORT, MERSEYSIDE United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
I bought this when it came out back in 1976/77 - I went on to become a big fan of Godley & Creme. There are a couple of duff tracks (by their standards) but the album is generally a real treat. Inventive music, smart and witty lyrics. This is 10cc at the very top of their game, for me. A great shame that they split up after this. Buy this and remember how much fun music can be.

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of their game, 19 April 2012
Gavin J. Chart (Worthing, West Sussex United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
For four years, from 1972-76, 10cc were at the top of their game. It cannot be emphasised enough how sophisticated the four were as songwriters, musicians, lyricists and arrangers. They all wrote in various combinations, all played and sang lead and harmony, in turn, and were all multi-instrumentalists. And how many bands can boast TWO principal songwriting partnerships...? Godley and Creme were the "arty"/funny ones; Gouldman and Stewart were more like Tin-Pan Alley craftsmen.

"How dare you" is an example of some of their best work. And "I'm Mandy, Fly Me" (Gouldman/Stewart/Creme) is an example of exquisite melodies and harmonies, and lyrics that are clever, ironic, funny and poignant.

Q: How do you describe a plane-crash in two lines?
A: "The world was spinning like a ball / And then it wasn't there at all"

It is hard to believe that this song (and the others) were written thirty-six years ago. They could have been written yesterday... ("Wall Street Shuffle", on "Sheet Music", a song for our times if ever there was one, was written nearly forty years ago.) So, buy this album and buy the previous two for starters... That these songs are as fresh today as they were when they were written gives weight to the notion that Melody Will Never Die, and is proof, if proof were needed, that Godley, Creme, Gouldman and Stewart were light-years ahead of their time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and Inventive even now, 15 Sept. 2013
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
Originally got this on vinyl on its 1976 release. It's 10cc showing their catchy creative genius but also starting to tear themselves in two. There are beautiful harmonies and melodies on Lazy Ways, I'm Mandy Fly Me and Don't Hang Up. There are gutsy guitar riffs on the title track and the full version of Art For Art's Sake. But distracting controversial lyrical content on I Wanna Rule The World and Iceberg are not to this fan's taste.
Clearly, Godley and Crème are on the brink of going elsewhere (to the bizarre but occasionally brilliant "Consequences" and "L". Gouldman & Stewart did their best to keep the flag flying with Deceptive Bends onwards with gradually reducing success.
If the original 10cc thrilled you as much as me, you need this album and their 3 studio predecessors, 10cc, Sheet Music and The Original Soundtrack to fully enjoy the guys at their best.

5.0 out of 5 stars 10CC How Dare You, 16 Dec. 2009
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
A few mad tracks but overall a great album.

Unlike some reveiwers I found the sound quality good for a 1970's recording. I don't often replace vinyl with CD but my old record was getting worn out!! Shame the CD doesn't rproduce all the original art work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still good, 21 April 2011
Rudolf Art (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: How Dare You (Audio CD)
Was the best 10cc album ever in my opinion - and still is. I had transferred from vinyl to mp3 via a purpose-made turntable, but was unhappy with the results (much of the bass seemed to be lost during the transfer). Glad to have a high quality version,

How Dare You
How Dare You by 10cc (Audio CD - 2007)