5.0 out of 5 stars Feel It - It's Fantastic!
My sister introduced me to Kate Bush when I was 12 with her fantastic 'Hounds of Love' in '85. I thought she was a new artist and to my delight discovered other albums preceeding this. Searching through my sisters collection I found 'The Kick Inside'. My god, what a discovery.
Published on 29 Nov. 2003 by Mr. N. Baykaa-murray

3.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing, beguiling and occasionally brilliant
Kate Bush's debut album is as close to a curate's egg as there is in her career. Throughout, there's no doubting her talent and, considering she was 17 when much of the album was written, it's a considerable achievement.
Some of the tracks are simply wonderful. The opening track, Moving, fades in with animal's calling and is blessed with a vocal mature beyond Kate's...
Published on 22 July 2003 by Anthony Lynas

5.0 out of 5 stars Feel It - It's Fantastic!, 29 Nov. 2003
Mr. N. Baykaa-murray (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
I locked myself away in my room, dimmed the lights, closed my eyes and was instantly taken away to musical pleasure.
Her vocals are sensational and her talent on the piano, brilliant. All the tracks are excellent but my favourites are 'Moving', James and the Cold Gun' and 'Feel It'. This album doesn't seem to age and the effect it has on me each time I listen to it is always satisfying. Buy it, listen to it, move with it, be with it! Corny hey - but that's how it makes me feel.As in the track 'Feel It' - "See what you're doing to me!"
Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate Bush - The Ultimate Female Songstress, 21 May 2001
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
I first bought this album when I was 16, an age when I started listening to serious and experimental music. I'd heard her long before that but I was still quite young to really appreciate her music. I put the first track on 'Moving' and heard the whales at the beginning of the song and thought I know I'm going to like this. Words cannot describe how beautiful and haunting this album is, but it is also happy and magical. It's hard to believe that Kate was only 14 when she first wrote 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes'. All the songs are fantastic, I can't fault any of them. It's so good that after listening to it, I became a life-long Kate Bush fan and she will always be my favourite artist. With one listen to her albums, you are forever whisked into her fantasy world. These songs are what you call 'Songs', melody, lyrics, beats,feeling, music, instruments. and you also get a beautiful girl into the bargain, what a heroine! buy it! it's fantastic!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely, 2 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
I fell completely in love with lovely Kate when I picked up this album in 1981, when I was 15. I mean, seriously. Such utter beauty, such strangeness and such huge, huge talent. Softly intense ballads, arty rock-songs, the weirdness of love on the moors - all with at voice to be hypnotised by. If I didn't just gaze into the deep brown eyes of what I learned is the US edition of the cover. I played it until the vinyl was worn out, and I bought it again. As of now, Kate is commonly known as one of the most innovative and eccentric artists in the world, very much due to her success with The Hounds of Love. Some of us have known of her genious and sensuality for better than twenty years. Musically, I rate The Dreaming a little bit higher. But there is something to this album. Surley it ain't just memories of puppy love and fascination that makes me go all soft and mushy when I put on the CD?

5.0 out of 5 stars Timeless, 24 Mar. 2006
bridgetjones "lizzylou21" (Mighty North of England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
Having first listened to this album aged 12 ( I'm now 17) I still get goosebumps all down the back of my neck. The idea that Kate concieved this album at a similiar age to me now just blows my mind. I now own 5 Kate Bush albums( Lionheart, Never For Ever, Hounds of Love, Aerial) yet there is still something about her debut that draws me in more than the others. I don't think it's because of a superiority in quality, I think it's because it was the first album I ever heard that took me somewhere else. All my friends at that time were listening to Westlife and Atomic Kitten, which I've never been into. 5 years on they all look back in embarrassment, whereas I am still getting the same satisfaction from this beautifully constructed masterpiece.
My personal favourites on the album are Wuthering Heights( which completely captures the beauty of the book), Room For The Life, and Moving), which makes me want to weep everytime i hear the chorus).
Anyway,I've completely rambled on and I'm probably not making much sense, but what I'm trying to say is listen to it ( preferably in a darkened room-so much more effective!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Kate starts off with a bang, 5 Nov. 2005
Simon Paul (Southampton, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
In early 1978, Kate Bush burst onto the British music scene with the no.1 smash hit single 'Wuthering Heights'. This was followed by her fantastic first album 'The Kick Inside'. Well, this really is NOT a bad start. From the haunting whale song that starts the album off to the creepy title track, this album delivers. It's hard to believe she was only 19 when she recorded this masterpeice, and only 14 when she wrote the mystical 'The Man With The Child In His Eyes'. There are some great ballads on here and some catchy songs aswell. Buy it, you'll love it. It's a fantastic start from one of the most talent female singer/songwriters ever!

5.0 out of 5 stars A 17 year-old can deliver quite a kick..., 3 Nov. 2005
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
Kate Bush's debut is amazing for 3 reasons, the first being that there is not a bad song on here, the second being that it is so different from anything else released in the late 70s (or, indeed, ever) and the third being that it was all penned by a girl who had presumably only just finished her O-levels.
The thing Bush does so well here, and where oh so many artists fail, is carry off overtly romantic songs without it ever sounding remotely cheesy - whether this is down to her soaring soprano vocals, her penchant for literary reference or just the musical innovation going on around her is anyone's guess but instilling a sense of sincerity in lyrics like "I'll send your love to Zeus" is some achievement.
"Wuthering Heights" will be familiar to many already as massive hit everywhere exept the US, the big surprise may come in the fact that a large majority of the songs on "The Kick Inside" maintain the high standards (most notably the wise-before-her-years "Man With the Child in his Eyes" and the over-awingly gorgeous "Move").
It is, however, Bush's unique vocal style that pervades the entire album and is showcased so well, from the supernatural howls of "Wuthering Heights" to the playful squark of "rolling the ball, rolling the ball, rolling the ball to me" on "Them Heavy People" - captivating to say the least.

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential listening, 30 April 2006
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
When this came out, it blew off the cobwebs of pop. At a time when punk was king this album came out as the perfect antidote. It's tuneful, delicate, intelligent and occasionally twee. It is also just as English as punk.

Starting off with whale song, you know you are into something a bit different before the first note happens. The songs are beautifully arranged and played with the simpler, piano based, tracks like The Kick Inside, Feel It and L'Amour Looks Something Like You, being the best as they have not dated like the others, which sound very 1970s.

Kate sings like an angel and a banshee, often in the same song and her lyrics are sheer poetry (your sister I was born. You must lose me like an arrow shot into the killer storm). It is amazing that this was written and performed by a teenager. Indeed The Saxophone Song and The Man With the Child in His Eyes were recorded 2 years earlier when she was 15!

Incredibly influential and, apart from the follow up Lionheart, never bettered. This is Kate at her best.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful, 4 Aug. 2014
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
“The kick inside” which is the smashing debut from Kate Bush, is full of well rounded songs and amazing melodies. It would be a great mistake to write off Kate as just a mere pop singer from a gone by era. No she is relevant to this day, and perhaps even the term “pop” is questionable...yes she had hits in the charts, and yes her songs are pretty darn catchy. But the way she plays those haunting piano chords, switching musical styles and moods, almost certainly a musician of the truest form drawing from a vast well of creativity.

I want to start off with the final track and also the title track “The kick inside”. It’s about a brother and sister in an incestrial relationship, and the sister gets pregnant and to spare her brother the shame, she kills herself. The song is kind of like a suicide note or maybe a twisted eulogy, who knows, but for such a dark subject this song is stunningly beautiful. Of course who could forget “Wuthering heights”? The song that made her. Number one in England for four weeks in 1978. Not bad when all is said and done. That tasty little guitar solo by Ian Bairnson? One of the sexiest guitar solos I’ve ever heard. “The man with the child in his eyes” apparently men never really grow up is what this song is about, but it doesn’t come across in a malicious way. It’s really very charming.

“Feel it” and “Oh to be in love” always sounded really happy and really sad at the same time to me. Maybe it’s just the way my ears hear them. “James and his cold gun” is supposed to be an upbeat piano rock and roller, perhaps in the vain of Elton John one might say. “Room for the life” is weird but it a good way. All the songs on this album are catchy, mesmerising and demand serious repeats once they have gotten their hooks in you. Kate’s music from the late 70’s leading up to the late 80’s is some of the most sophisticated and hard hitting stuff, and is as mind blowing as anything I’ve heard in pop, rock or punk.

5.0 out of 5 stars What an introduction, 19 Nov. 2008
Mr. A. Whiteside "tonyjackie3" (uk) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
It can safely be said that when this album was originally released nothing like it had ever been heard before.This was the time of punk,anarchy and bands full of anger and rage.Then along comes this sweet little English girl with her hippy looks and charming lyrics.'The Kick Inside' has got to be one of the most startling and brilliant debut albums ever.

'Wuthering Heights','The Man With The Child In His Eyes','Moving' and 'The Kick Inside' are just a few of the delights awaiting the listener as Kate wails and whoops her way into your heart.She is a very special talent and I think what I most admire about her is the fact that she has always done things her own way.If we have to wait years for her albums then that's just what we'll do because she is doing things in her own time.

This album was the start of her fantastic career and though it may not be her masterpiece it showcases a rare touch of musical genius and long may it continue.How long will we have to wait for her next album? Who knows, but many of us will just sit tight and wait until she is ready.

5.0 out of 5 stars To quote another song "SIMPLY THE BEST", 7 Jan. 2001
J. Penn "jabo20" (Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kick Inside (Audio CD)
This album brings back so many memories.I had not long left school when this album appeared and I remember thinking how incredible it was.First hearing Wuthering Heights on the radio and listening to my work mates laughing when I saild that`ll be number one next week and the rest is history as they say ! Any way I bought the LP and I think it`s worn through from the countless playings ,time to get a cd. As for the album there are a few stand out tracks but it`s so hard to choose so I wont .They are all equally brilliant.Kate was voted Best female singer at the British Rock and Pop awards and remained the top for many years and it says something about the competition at the time when she was continually nominated even when she had`nt done anything ! Like I said, Kate Bush ,simply the best singer/songwriter in the true sense of that phrase. Oh and by the way is`nt she gorgeous ?

The Kick Inside
The Kick Inside by Kate Bush (Audio CD - 1994)