Format: Audio CD|Change

on 25 October 2012
I first bought this album on a cassette tape, and shock horror, the tape broke. It has taken me years and years of looking in various music shops; all to no avail; for me to finally find it on various websites. It cost me under £5.00 and it was worth every penny. The moment I heard the CD, I was reminded immediately why I spent all those years hunting for it. Quite simply it is brilliant. Don't get me wrong, there are a small number of tracks that don't exactly float my boat, but I don't my listening to them. My personal highlights are Sherri don't fail me now, Lover of the human race, and the Quo's impeccable cover version of Restless. Obviously if you don't like Status Quo (and why not? may I ask), then this album will not be for you, but if you are a Quo fan, I definitely recommend it. One of their best.
VINE VOICEon 8 February 2006
I enjoyed this album a lot when it came out in 1994 then didn't listen to it again for years. Such is pop. "Thirsty Work" is a breezy album, full of enthusiasm and catchy melodies. It also features a staggering array of styles and approaches. Once again Quo stray farther from their old path than is good for them.
You can still find some straight rock, notably "Soft In The Head", "Like It Or Not" and "Rude Awakening Time". The best songs are a little more sophisticated however. "Confidence", "The Point Of No Return" and "Goin' Nowhere" are not examples of Quo at their hardest but still possess some gravity. There are also some fast, joyous numbers that work well, these being "Sherri", "Back On My Feet Again" and "Ciao Ciao".
As for the experiments, "Lover Of The Human Race" is too depressing for this album, the mix of rock and tango doesn't fare as badly as you'd think and "Sail Away" is a jolly little number that reminds me of Captain Pugwash for some reason. Then there are the dreaded ballads. "Sorry" I can forgive them for, but Jennifer Warnes' "Restless" I can't. They even performed it on the tour when I saw them at Sheffield.
Not what the older fans want then and the bonus tracks are bland but mostly enjoyable on its own terms.
on 30 January 2013
I have been a Quo fan for most of my life. I bought this album recently, because of the extra tracks and also the fact that it had been remastered, but I also had the original album from when it came out in 1994. I liked this album when I first bought it, but I didn't think that it was quite as good as the previous album, Rock Til You Drop, which was much rockier and sounded more like Quo should. This album marked a distinct change in direction and style for Quo in the mid 1990's, which alienated some fans and this showed in the lower chart placing of this album in 1994, which only reached no.13. I still listen to this album occasionally now and I think it is Quo's second best album of the 1990s and much better than their next albums, Don't Stop and Under The Influence, which were not very good albums from a band like Quo. All of the tracks on this album are good and there are no obvious fillers. I even liked the song Restless, which was one of the singles from this album and which most other Quo fans hated. The main reason why I like this album is because it sounds so very different to Quo's usual style, which they are known and derided for. The extra tracks featured on this album were the original B-Sides to the singles from the album and they are worth a listen too. I would recommend this album to any Quo fan who wants to hear something a bit different from the band. Three stars from me.
on 8 May 2006
After what seemed to be a revitalised Status Quo on their previous album 'Rock Til You Drop', I had hoped for more of the same. Unfortunately 'Thirsty Work' is, in my view, a rather inconsistent and somewhat patchy release.

Just as 'Rock...' more the most part showed Quo back to their rocking best, 'Thirsty Work' for me is a disappointingly retrograde step, with a series of pop-rock tunes which have more in common with their late 80's albums 'Ain't Complaining' and 'Perfect Remedy'.

Of course, being Quo there were always going to be some good songs on show. 'I Didn't Mean It' was the first single to be released, and is a top class tune that deserved to chart far higher than it actually did (No 21)

Other good songs include 'Goin Nowhere', 'Soft In The Head', 'Queenie', 'Rude Awakening Time', 'Back On My Feet', 'Point Of No Return' and 'Ciao Ciao', all of which would have made better singles than what Quo actually did release: 'Sherri Don't Fail Me Now', and 'Restless' - poor choices and the weakest songs on the album in my opinion.

Unfortunately, all these good songs on the album are once again let down badly by the production, which takes a lot away from the 'traditional' Quo guitar sound. Had the rawer, edgier, rockier sound from 'Rock...' been retained, than I think the album would have sounded a lot better than it did!

Not a disaster by any means, but listening to 'Thirsty Work' now, its very frustrating to see what the album could have been!
on 24 June 2013
Subtle sides to this. Place in machine and turn up as loud as humanely possible to annoy your annoying neighbours.
on 11 April 2009
Well what can i say about this except wow,this is one of my favourite quo albums!
Every song on this is great,there is a mix of rock,pop,country,tango....and many more different styles on here that really prove how talented these guys are.
I didn't mean it is classic quo,as is soft in the head which sounds like it was taken from the album 1982,and even the keyboard orientated sherri don't fail me is great too.
However for me the highlight of this cd is the track "Tossin' & turning!
Alongside Hard time (from the rockin' all over the world album) this is my favourite quo song ever!
Honestly this song is to die for...Soooo catchy,brilliant lyrics and a killer bridge chorus...."because there's always the two sides,the one liners two timers,time to start over again" all played and sung beautifully it really doesn't get any better!
I could go on for hours about how good this is but i'll just say for the quo fan,casual fan or just someone who appreciates great musicianship buy this and sit back and enjoy it.
Perfect album,doesn't get much better than that!
on 17 April 2015
Great album, every track is pretty good.. love the B sides as well. This remastered cd has been in my car for at least a year since I bought it.

Agree with the other reviewer about 'Tossing and turning' which is great, lyrics remind of an ex girlfriend as well.
on 29 December 1999
Great cover with bottle in the desert showing on the label that "Its 100% pure Quo,refreshes the parts other bands can't reach" . Hmmmm How can a band as good as Quo put out albums that are part hard rocking brilliant and part soft pop like this :(First track Goin Nowhere rocks beautifully,Confidence is a perfectly crafted song with an awesome chorus ( should have been released as an A-side single to break the record for having over 50 British top 40 hits)."Soft In The Head" rocks as well as anything Quo put out over the past 4 decades and the original "Queenie"sung by Parfitt is in a chuck Berry vein. "Rude Awakening Time" belts out at ear splitting levels but the rest of the 11 tracks disappoint. Good CD for collectors otherwise stick to 1999 release "Under The Influence" which has every song a winner.
on 20 October 2012
Amazing album....instantly loved it with the first listen.
Melodic rockin the status quo way!!
A must buy for any quo fan in my opinion.
on 14 June 2013
Kwakitay songs like everyone of them on this album had it on cd n it went missing thought download mp3 n disc t loose