Format: Audio CD|Change

on 7 September 2014
1977. In England, the musical and cultural fabric of society is being rent asunder.The barriers between artist and fan are broken down. Even to the extent that fans spitting at their heroes, whilst not particularly pleasant is a symbol of how utilitarian things are becoming. Paul Cook sports a customised "I hate Pink Floyd" t-shirt

6/71977. In Montreal Canada, Roger Waters spits at a fan, and immediately defines in one gesture how isolated and out of touch the old heirachy are with their fans. So out of touch that when Roger plans another album, he uses as his inspiration the isolation of a rock star, i.e. himself. It should never have worked.

But it did. It worked in so many ways, this album is seen, quite rightly, as something far beyond the confines of "Rock Music" or even music itself. Some see it at art.

The phrase "Concept album" does not do it Justice. It is a story, set to music. A full on cinematic experience over four sides of vinyl.All of this set to the most incredible musical score.
It is a story of a rock star, Christened "Pink", looking back over his life. We join him on stage (In the Flesh)and later, he invokes his father who was lost to World war 2. This has left deep resentful scars deep in his psyche,(Another Brick in the Wall pt 1) and left his mother as being over protective and overbearing to the point of psychosis. (Mother)
His schooldays are marked by an authoritarian regime, determined to beat the individuality out of him. (Another Brick in the Wall pt 2). RW grows up, becomes a rock musician, enjoys success and all the benefits of it. (Young Lust) He has a wife who he treats badly, (One of my Turns/ Don't leave me now)He smashes hotel rooms up (Brick pt 3) The more successful he becomes, the more isolated he becomes (Comfortably Numb). He retreats into a world of drugs, 24 hour TV,motel rooms, and flirtations with facism. (In The Flesh) He builds a wall around himself. As the paranoia and mental instability takes hold, he "puts himself on trial" to face all his past misdemenours, and those who have sinned against him. Finally the wall comes down, leaving........ well that is left deliciously open.

This is clearly intended as only part of a full multi media assault, the record, the stage show (which was only in the UK for 15 shows) and the movie, which proved sadly impossible to get right. (it was a brave effort, one to be applauded, but never really lived up to its ambition. It never could really.) If this was made now, the coordination, the marketing, the organisation would be vastly slicker than what surrounded this.

As a stand alone double album, this delivers astonishing music, expertly played. It is original, challenging,fresh. It achieves the impossible. It makes the story of an isolated rock star engaging. It is an album with no filler, that can be listened to as individual songs, but should be listened to as a full story. As a psychoanaltycal experience, well, I hope RW got the therapy he clearly needed. As an artifact it is, if not the most important record of his generation, then surely one of the most stunning. It really is like punk never happened.

RWs obsession with the War, the fall out from it, and the percieved betrayal of forces sacrificed in it would be explored further in The Final Cut, a bitter and depressing tirade of an album. The Wall though is an extraordinary testament to one man's vision. Whether it is art is arguable. It is so much more than just music though.
on 28 February 2012
Why oh why could I not have waited a few days and read the scathing reviews first, but no. Lulled by the blatant advertising on a certain DAB rock radio channel of how great this release was going to be, with previously unreleased live versions I went ahead and pre-ordered.

For my £90 I now have a remaster of a brilliant album that I love, granted, but I could have got that for £15 with the "experience" edition. The live album tracks are not "previously unreleased" Nicky Horne, they are the 1980/1 "Is There anybody out there?" live CD which you can get for £12

So what else do I get for the price difference, well I get 3 marbles, ooh whoopee, replacements, I knew I'd lost my marbles when it dawned on me what I'd just bought! 2 extra CDs of dubious work in progress tracks, moderately interesting, but then so is watching paint dry if you are bored. Some nice printed pictures and some repro passes and tickets - wow, I must mount those next to my genuine one from the original show 30years ago and the one from the 30th anniversary event of 2011 at the O2, they will really look convincing. Finally a DVD of clips you could probably find on YouTube. So roughly £60 extra for worthless filler - thanks EMI - I'm uncomfortably numbed by your transformation of a brilliant album into one of ridicule due to price and "extra" content.

Experience edition - what experienced people buy, Immersion edition - what mugs like me bought.
on 27 February 2012
The kind of person that buys this will almost certainly already own "The Wall" and "Is there anybody out there" - 4 of the 6 CDs. The 2 CDs of demos are interesting, in a deluxe edition sort of way - but certainly not worth an extra £50 or so over the experience edition (that includes 1 of the demo disks). Indeed the value added content in this box includes a few marbles (!!!!), some pictures and a couple of booklets (very limited compared with the wonderful Gerald Scarfe book - the Making of Pink Floyd The Wall), and, of course, the DVD. This is quite possibly the worst add on I have ever seen in a super deluxe box set: for your money you get 1. The happiest days of our lives from Earl's Court (wonderful - but where is the rest of the concert? - it was filmed - you can get the murky looking bootleg - could they not find more than 1 decent track to show us? - and even then it is a lea- in track. 2. The music video of Another Brick in the Wall (wow! ). 3. A really lame documentary about the Wall. 4. A 30 year old interview with Gerald Scarfe. That is it! What about all of the animations and back drops from the live shows? New interviews? How about a movie about the current staging of "the Wall".
During the Gerald Scarfe interview he states that the Wall was conceived by Roger Waters as an Album, a Stage Show and as a Movie. A super-deluxe box set should include all three of these items. It disappoints. I think the majority of fans would have paid £100 for the video of the show at Earl's Court - murkiness included (- who cares about the quality -but it looks pretty good on the one track featured) just to see what it was like (and compare it with the current staging that many of us have seen). Instead we get 1 lousy song that feels like a teaser for a forthcoming release. If the video does officially emerge, I won't know whether or not to be furious or delighted.
What is obviously missing is a high resolution DVD-A or Blu-Ray disc in 5.1 surround, or, at the very least, a blu-ray version of the movie (with 24bit/192kz LPCM audio). It is truly galling that the best EMI can do with a 30 year old album is reproduce it in 30 year old digital technology (16 bit CD). We previously coughed up a ton for the high resolution version of WYWH on blu-ray to discover that the disc was very poorly mastered. To add insult to injury, an SACD version became available subsequently, retailing for nearly £50 (and not available in retail stores). If there was to be no high resolution disc included in this box, they should have included the next best thing - 180g vinyl. No, that's another £25 (about 4 times what I paid for it originally).
I have always thought of Pink Floyd as a generous band - think of all those stickers and posters that came with the original LP of DSOTM. I have lost a lot of respect for them with these reissues. I am sure that there are lots of suckers out there like me that cannot resist the super deluxe box. I have lots of them. Compared with the Stone Roses, Derek and the Dominoes, Achtung Baby, Screamadelica - and, in particular, Neil Young's archives, this is a complete rip off. Avoid. Buy the experience edition if you don't already have the album.
1212 comments|106 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2012
First and foremost let me explain all 5 star reviews on here are for Pink Floyd The Wall (The album) not to be confused with what Amazon and EMI are selling here Pink Floyd The Wall IMMERSION!
This is just a corporate marketing scam making the box set look like its got a 5 star review, if you go through the reviews you will notice the Immersion reviews are never 5 stars.
Before I go on I love Pink Floyd however this Immersion project has been a real let down for many of us fans who feel EMI have made a over priced boxset which never really made us feel fully immersed!

As with the other Immersion boxsets it contains the usual useless Scarf, marbles, envelopes etc... TAT!
Well the remastered album The Wall does sound nice and yes they have included Is there anybody out there (The Wall LIVE) theres even a cd of demo tracks but hang on there cut so we don't get the full demo??
The visual dvd was a complete let down with less than 2 minutes of live footage!
As many people know The Wall was recorded yet somehow this does not get included?

I and as many Floyd fans would of liked to see the film on Blu ray and a 5.1 mix of the album, I have found out that they now plan to release a 5.1 mix of the album!

Now for anyone who would like the good contents of the Immersion set should not have to pay the price and you don't have to, this is how.

Buy
'Is there anybody out there' £11
'The Wall [Experience Edition]' £14.93

This gives you the album, live material and demos, only thing missing would be the dvd.
Totals £25.93 BARGAIN!

However you can get the Film of 'The Wall' which is not included with the Immersion with tons of great extras for £7.84

so why don't you just get all that for £33.77?
1010 comments|83 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 February 2012
I received my LP today and it looks terrific! I played it and it sounds terrific! The only negative is that the inner sleeves are cardboard, yes, cardboard! I paid over £20 for this album and would have preferred inner sleeves with anti-static lining because when I pulled the vinyl from the sleeves, both records had lots of small flakes of cardboard on them. Apart from that however, it's an excellent release and if you play it at maximum volume, you and your neighbours are in for a treat!
VINE VOICEon 27 February 2012
IMMERSION version review & EXPERIENCE lower down the page.The Wall [Experience Edition]

THE SOUND QUALITY OF THE 2011 REMASTER IS AN INCREDIBLE IMPROVEMENT OVER THE 1992/1994 ISSUE. So do treat yourself to a new copy to go along side your vinyl, aad cd, Shine On/1994 remaster. For me OBSCURED BY CLOUDS and THE WALL benefited most from the new up-grade, (I treated myself to Meddle upto The Wall only, as I am more than happy with the 1994 remasters for everything else).

O.M.G., I have given this, THE most important LP in my life, 2 Stars. The Wall is where I discovered "proper" music for the first time back in 1980. Even got front row on the 21/07/1990 with what could have been a million people behind me.

So what do you get for your money:

CD 1 & 2 The Wall digitally remastered by James Guthrie, 2011
CD 3 & 4 Is There Anybody Out There: The Wall Live (digitally remastered in 2011 by James Guthrie)
CD 5 & 6 The Wall album demos (previously unreleased) approx 2 hours. (Don't get excited by "The Doctor", if you are expecting a stunning Gilmour solo, forget it. If want more excellent Gilmour check out: 1. PAUL McCARTNEY - NO MORE LONELY NIGHTS. 2. BRYAN FERRY - IS YOUR LOVE STRONG ENOUGH 12" 3. BERLIN - PINK & VELVET (probably all on YouTube).
DISC 7 - DVD, AUDIO VISUAL
Replica of The Wall Backstage Pass
Scarf
Prints/Cards of Mark Fisher's stage drawings
3 x white marbles with design of bricks
9 x Coasters (unique to this box) featuring early Storm Thorgerson design sketches
Credits booklet

Okay, that's what you get for your money, all housed in a box. Personally, I think the front cover is awful. I am sure more care could have gone into Gerald Scarfe's wonderful drawings.
Of course, most of us have "The Wall" and have already bought the cd version 1) analog 2)1994 remaster or 1992 Shine On and again in one of several formats of "Is There Anybody Out There?"
Most of the DVD is repeats found elsewhere.
So moving onto THE DEMOS. Excellent quality and interesting. However, that said I will not (I think) be playing these 2 dics a great deal. I have never really cared for the "Demo" tracks on any cd by any artist. Anyway, that's my own view.

An absolute 50 Star album which should have been (in my opinion) seperated into 4 individual releases now only gets 2 Stars for the whole package.

NEW UPDATED COMMENT (30th Nov 2012 (Happy 33rd birthday to "The Wall") and that is just to say that with careful searching on download sites it is possible to find "The Wall - live", it is "Is there anybody out there?" superb sound dubbed over the full length, poor quality filmed concert, Earl's Court. It is a fine attempt using the available footage by those who made it. Yes the sync is slightly out at times but until EMI, Floyd can be bothered to put this out god bless the bootleggers. If you are interested then I can only point you in the right direction to find it for yourself as it is an illegal, naughty product... shocking! And have you got Gerald Scarfe's superb book, "The Making of The Wall".The Making of Pink Floyd The Wall I reviewed the hardback version but it's now in paperback version to.

ANOTHER NEW UPDATE ON THE WALL. Jan 2013.

EXPERIENCE review:The Wall [Experience Edition] NEW TO THE FLOYD - YOU WILL NEED 1. DARK SIDE OF THE MOON, 2. WISH YOU WERE HERE, 3. ANIMALS & 4. THE WALL, those four just for starters (avoid wasting your money on "ONE FOOT IN THE DOOR".

With HMV closing I found the EXPERIENCE edition for £12. Bought it and I have to admit that it is A LOVELY PACKAGE - with only minimal flaws in my opinion to the artwork: those being instead of 4 hammers on the inner quad gatefold (how 70's Prog Rock is that - and of course what is The Wall, only the ultimate in prog rock albums)... so instead of 4 pages of hammers, why not use the original lp label designs and instead of The Wife & Teacher use the 2 different labels from the single's b side, "One of my turns", one without the window and one with the window. The lyric booklet has the scale 1:1, (compared to the original lp) print of Gerald Scarfe's handwritten lyrics. Empty Spaces lyrics are included, but gone are "What shall we do now?" The booklet also feature as a center spread the original gatefold inner sleeve. As miniature replicas go this is special, because generally I don't like them, much prefer the 12" vinyls but I like this.

ONE FINAL NOTE:

With so many of us asking about a 5.1 mix and none about, if you have a 5.1 system and your amp can separate stereo audio in to Left, Right and Rear (mono) have you tried that. Strangely though, my system seems to prefer 70's prog (Rush's 2112, Genesis and EMI artists, FLOYD & Queen in particular).

ONE VERY FINAL NOTE:
Don't get excited by the demo, "The Doctor", if you are expecting a stunning Gilmour solo, forget it. If want more excellent Gilmour check out: 1. PAUL McCARTNEY - NO MORE LONELY NIGHTS. 2. BRYAN FERRY - IS YOUR LOVE STRONG ENOUGH 12" 3. BERLIN - PINK & VELVET (probably all on YouTube).
on 27 February 2012
Others have outlined the contents and the mismatch with the asking price but I naively assumed that for such a mark up there would definitely be a 5.1 release. WRONG, what a rip-off!

What's more Amazon, what's with all the linked 5 star reviews that relate to completely different products?
on 20 March 2012
Well, its not bad as long as you realise this is not the ultimate edition you were hoping for and you will be buying it again. Apparently the tapes are in such a fragile condition that there wasn't enough time to create an HD multi channel master if the release date was to be stuck to. You may ask why the release date wasn't simply delayed, but that would be too much to ask for. A blu/SACD will appear but not for quite a while as the engineer is working on the blu ray of Alan Parker's feature film of The Wall. So if all you want is the original album in HD, wait, but be prepared for quite a long one. After two boxes full of pointless ephemera, the multi media nature of The Wall means there is more point to the booklets, poster, print, art cards and even the marbles have a nice brick pattern. And joy of joys, EMI have finally realised the spindles in the boxes are useless and have packed the first four discs in plain card sleeves. The extra discs of demos are a matter of how interested you are in the creation of the album but the DVD is distinctly under-nourished, not even managing a full performance of the stage show. I'm not impressed by the remastering, I still prefer the original vinyl or the MFSL CD but its nowhere near as bad as some recent remasters by other bands. Its a pity the box artwork didn't emulate the original album cover with the lettering on a vinyl slick. To sum up, value is a question of how much you value the demos and whether buying it now won't put you into an apoplectic fit when the blu/SACD eventually does appear
on 27 February 2012
The Wall has always been a very interesting piece of music, it is well i think Roger Waters best piece of material while he was the main member, in control,of Pink Floyd, but David Gilmore is fighting through with one of the best Floyd Tracks ever Comfortably numb, Run like hell.Now I am not going too go on about the album as I think most fans will know all about that, and its musical highlights.
Starting with the original album new master is good but how do you better excellence, as I always felt the sound has always been fantastic, this remaster is good and keeping the high-quality spot on, in fact to say the sound is "beautiful" would be an understatement.
The real excitement comes with disc three, early domes, and different lyrics completely and sung with lighter vocals on many like Young Lust, and Vera,tracks like Teacher teacher which uses the music from The final cut with different lyrics.
I just have to say its brilliant,and now the closest we will ever get to a new Floyd album. The demo's also sound fantastic. Of all the expanded versions this is the best for me.
Mother is brilliant and very moving,and this version could have made the album, but obviously the band still wanted better. This is an insight to one our best bands ever i can only recommend that you buy the 3 disc version, it really makes no sense to just buy the double. Oh finally, other early versions from the final cut with different lyrics also appear, but as history retails, got thrown out, however they are still very interesting.
on 3 March 2012
BEARING IN MIND THE DISASTER THAT WAS THE WISH YOU WERE HERE IMMERSION BOX SET (GLITCHES ON THE DVD-AUDIO DISC, DUE TO A FAULTY GLASS MASTER AT THE PRESSING PLANT) IT COMES AS NO SURPRISE THAT AMAZON HAS NOW INCLUDED EVERY REVIEW OF THE WALL ALBUM SINCE 1994 HERE IN THE LISTING FOR THE IMMERSION EDITION, TO BUMP UP THE RATINGS. CLEARLY, AND DUE TO THE FACT THAT THERE IS ANOTHER GLITCH HERE IN THE SECOND LIVE WALL AUDIO DISC (IS THERE ANYBODY OUT THERE DISC 2), AMAZON AND EMI ARE DESPERATE TO AVOID ANOTHER EXPENSIVE DISASTER. WHAT A SHAMBLES. THE TIME AND EFFORT THAT WENT INTO THE RECORDING AND REMASTERING OF THIS ALBUM HAS NOW BEEN RENDERED POINTLESS BY SHODDY AND INDIFFERENT CORPORATE GREED.

WHO IN THERE RIGHT MIND IS GOING TO PAY FOR THIS EXPENSIVE SET, KNOWING THAT THERE IS AN AUDIO GLITCH IN THE SECOND LIVE WALL DISC....? WHERE IS THE QUALITY CONTROL...? WHY HAS EMI GOT THIS SO BADLY WRONG (ONLY ONE OUT OF THREE IMMERSION EDITIONS ARE GLITCH-FREE)...? THE FANS AND COLLECTORS DESERVE SO MUCH MORE.
1010 comments|31 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse