• Choke

Format: Audio CDChange

on 1 February 2000
This is only the second album by the Beatiful South in the days when Briana was still in the band. I have only recently bought this album which was released in 1990. The first track has a very Housematines sound which was true of a lot of the previous albulm. After the first track the style changes. One of the things I admire about the band is the fact that all their songs sound different to each other My favourite track on this albulm is 'Let Love Speak Up Itself'. This track features an excellent vocal performance from Paul Heaton. The instumental track at the end is good too.
This is a pleasant album but not one of my favourites
on 29 August 2006
The follow up to 1989's debut, this continues in a similar vein to "Welcome To...."

"Let Love Speak...." is an un-sung classic, and its singer is an un-sung blue-eyed soul-man. "I Think The Answers Yes" is the South at their best - barbed-pop perfection.

However the production still ain't happening on this and parts of it remain a little patchy - "I've Come For My Award" and "Mothers Pride" are average B-sides which are frankly forgettable.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
This second album from Hull pop geniuses Beautiful South picks up pretty much where their debut left off. Packed full of jaunty tunes that get your foot tapping and a smile on your face, juxtaposed with lyrics that make you think. Not quite as deep as their debut, but still with plenty of their trademark wit to keep you hooked. This seems to be a bit forgotten in the BS canon, but personally I think it is unfairly neglected and is one of the albums I frequently find myself returning to. A classic slice of early 90s pop that still stands up well and sounds fresh today. And, as with all BS albums, I love the eye catching artwork on the cover!

At the time of writing there is no track listing on the Amazon page, so here it is:

01 - Tonight I fancy myself
06 - Lips
07 - I think the answer's yes
08 - A little time
09 - Mother's Pride
10 - I hate you (but you're interesting)
11 -The rising of Grafton Street
on 1 March 2005
Choke, the second studio album from The Beautiful South, brought together a fine collection of songs, which did their establishment as one of the finest original bands around no harm whatsoever.
On the one hand all the songs share a similar style and composition, they nearly all feature a big band - swing type sound with much emphasis on a good solid brass section, on the other hand they are all unique and creative they can all stand out on their own as credible songs in their own right.
Personal favourites include the gentle toe tapping "I think the answer's yes", the bluesy "Let love speak up itself" and the more raucous "I've come for my award". "The Rising of Grafton Street" is another great song; this instrumental offering has a real sound of the Housemartins running through it.
The only criticisms I can level is that another great favourite song, "Mother's Pride", with its fantastic bass line, is far too short and could have happily carried on for another couple of verses and the self indulgent "I Hate You (But You're Interesting)" probably wasn't necessary and doesn't really prove anything.
Final mention to "A Little Time" which I believe to still be their biggest hit to date, this lovely song of lost love has really stood the test of time very well and remains a great catchy tune.
on 9 December 2010
The Beautiful south album Choke is a fab little album best not forgotten,
shame this quality is now far and few between in todays music.
Clear lyrics that mean something,
tunes that can be distinguished one from another.
on 18 November 2003
The Beautiful Souths second album, this is a relaxing and not too hard on the brain experience. It runs short at just under 40 minutes ( though my version doesn't have What you see... )
A cracking tune opens the album, good lyrics in the typical Heaton style. Many will be familiar with My book , Let love speak... and A little time form the 'carry on up the charts' compilation. Let love.. is in a slightly longer from here though.
Corrigan is a great soloist on 'Should have kept my eyes shut' a slightly disturbing tale of abuse , though its all done with tongue placed firmly in cheek.
the lively I've come for my reward and Mothers pride contrast well with the very melodic I think the answers yes. Lips for me is the only weak track but at only just over a minutes length its not too bad.
As an answer to their first album's I love you but... , is this i hate you but.... It is a bit discordant but worth listening to if only for the ragtime piano at the end. Slightly ironic music.
The instrumental Rising of Grafton St refers to the place in Hull of the same name. It is slightly orchestral , and percussion based with just the one line- "Yes, i saw it!"
If you're a fan of the BS you probably have this already , maybe on the strength of 'A little time'. For anyone browsing or if you haven't got it, well worth the money. Short, but in their weird way, sweet.
on 4 February 2014
I wouldn't describe the Beautiful South as my favourite band but if I could only take one collection of music to a desert island then it would be their's every time. Its a bit like only having a choice of one food ... sure I love a fillet steak in a rich sauce but to eat every day ... of course not. No, you would pick something that you'd never grow tired of and would satisfy you every time. That's the Beautiful South and with Briana on vocals this is my favourite album.
on 15 June 2010
The Beautiful South are one of my favourite bands of all time but this is my least favourite of all their albums. I played it several times, hoping it would grow but there just arn't many tracks on here I like. I love Let Love Speak Up Itself, which features a superb vocal from Paul Heaton and A Little Time is qiute good but that is as good as it gets. There are also some weird songs like, I Should Have Kept My Mouth Shut, which is a little creepy, if clever in some ways and I hate You But Your're Interesting. This was probably a take on a song from the previous album which was called I Love You But You're Boring
Sorry Paul, you are one of my favourite song writters of all time but this doesn't do it for me.
on 1 July 2015
Best album from beautiful south. Quality product
on 21 March 2015
Very good thanks and very fast delivery